Should I upgrade my ATI Card?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by willbfun1, Mar 30, 2014.

1. willbfun1

willbfun1 Guest

GPU:
    XFX R7850
    I have already ordered a new PC with the specs you can find here under my username. I purposely did not order a new graphics card in case my old one is still good enough.

I have an XFX R7850. I also have an HIS HD 5870 from an even older setup I am no longer using. My monitors are two DVI-D ViewSonic VA2406m-LED.

I have no idea what improvements have come about since I bought these cards. Should I upgrade? Any opinions on which is better? I am guessing the XFX...?

I am also not very savvy regarding the ASUS motherboard I picked. I welcome any help or comments... Thanks! :)

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    A 7870 is still a prett decent card. I'd hang on to it.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

He said 7850, but the same still applies.

4. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
    You might even consider adding a second 7850 if your new setup can accommodate one. I just did this with my computer and after getting most of the bugs shaken out it works nicely in the games that support crossfire. I was able to go from medium to high settings (with a few on ultra) in BF4 while still maintaining the 80+ fps that I prefer to have in a game like that.

Also, my 7850s are the 2GB version - so they may lend better to crossfire than the 1GB version of the 7850 that is around. If your card is a 1gb, then it might not be worth the trouble since crossfire can eat up extra memory (iirc).

5. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    How fast is your cpu and what games are you playing the most?

Look at my setup. I believe we are close in power but I have CFX. I can tell you it is great at 1080p but for newer games such as BF4, Metro, Crysis 3, (maybe Assassin's Creed), my system will be slow on Ultra settings.

But other games, I can still game fairly well just by turning down AA (my default is 8xAA) or using FXAA/SMAA instead such as in ARMA 2, DayZ, and ARMA 3, SVENCOOP (yes, I love HL1 series), Brutal Doom, and etc...

The best thing test for you is play your favorite game on MAX settings and see if it is fluid enough. When it starts becoming more of pain to play games, that is the best time to upgrade instead of impulse upgrading. You will so appreciate your new system more.

For me, I am really waiting for 4K gaming before I upgrade. Maybe Christmas or next year but for sure, by Christmas 2015.