Amnesia 2: A Machine For Pigs

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by getsuga12, Jun 16, 2012.

1. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecZH0dbYS1k

I wasn't expecting a second Amnesia from Frictional Games, but damn! I've been itching for a good horror experience for some time (plus its great to see a different setting)

2. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    [​IMG] WOW that was unexpected

Amnesia 1 (which i haven't finished yet) is fantastic, will buy Amnesia 2 of course!

3. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Not directly from Frictional.

It's being developed by "The chinese room", the creators of Dear Esther.
    Frictional is overseeing the project, though.

This could mean Frictional is cooking something else up, a new IP maybe?

4. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB

5. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
  6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    (sticky) message from mike morhaime

EDIT: ya wrong thread :pirate:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    wrong thread ?

9. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Amnesia Devs hint at next Project

Source

Color me interested.

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/239200/discussions/0/864978110159511821/

The Steam version can be decrypted/unlocked now and I guess GoG and other direct-download alternatives will follow shortly. :)

EDIT: Released on GoG.

EDIT: Played for a very short amount of time just past the intro where you regain character controls, performance is fine though some of the textures are a bit low-resolution and setting SSAO sample count to 32 makes performance tank although 16 or maybe 8 on lower-end GPU's should be fine.

Can tweak the config file somewhat to disable post-processing effects and a few other things not in the in-game options from what I saw.

As with Amnesia the game is very dark but I just started the game so we'll see how it holds up, average review score seems to be around 7 or 8 out of 10 with many stating that several systems from Amnesia: Dark Descent have been streamlined such as no need for tinderboxes or lamp oil plus the insanity system is gone.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I didn't realise this game had unlocked this morning but I had chance to check out the graphics settings and the game engine for first impressions.

There seems to a lot of options and, despite the game itself having more options from the main menu, it still has a launcher with graphics options too, oddly (kind of redundant if you ask me since the game loads to the main menu where you access the options anyway before you start). The launcher is missing the apparently demanding anti-aliasing option but as far as I could tell the in-game AA is fairly weak with noticeable aliasing along the edges of the white mirrors in bathroom you find on the floor you start off on. The engine is OpenGL and it is unfortunate that this game is released a week after Outlast because it is obviously weaker visually.

The person you play as has no physical body for example like Outlast does, a personal pet-hate of mine in first person games, so when you're holding a lamp out and look down it breaks the immersion there and then when you have torso, legs or feet nor do you cast any kind of shadow! Also, unlike Outlast, you don't see the person you're controlling actually open doors or drawers, instead they magically open using a Grab icon. It's a minor thing, I admit, but IMO for a horror game to work effectively, you have to feel that you're in its world and that is where Amnesia falters. It just doesn't feel as atmospheric from initial impressions as Outlast did and the blame can be placed on the engine here. I presume that the person I'm playing as isn't a ghost (besides which I can clearly see his arm and hand holding the lamp!).

Also, while the game supports the Xbox 360 controller and even shows both keyboard & mouse and controller mappings, it forgets the basics so when I first see the Grab (hand) icon I was blindly pressing buttons trying to work out which button was actually used (it's RB).

I'm sure the game itself is good - Eurogamer.net gave it 7/10, the same score they gave Outlast - but technically the game seems inferior to Outlast and that will have a big impact for me on how scary the game will be. If I don't believe I'm the person in this world then I doubt I'm going to find it as tense or jumpy as I have Outlast. We'll see.

Oh and the in-game V-Sync option doesn't work for me either; the game is capped at 60 fps but I saw horrendous screen tearing until I created a profile in NVIDIA Inspector and forced V-Sync On through there. So if you're seeing tearing (I'm using the 326.80 beta drivers) then try that as it fixed it for me.

P.S. Is it me or do the game's colours look washed out to anyone else right from the start? I know it is very dark but unlike Outlast the darkness looks grey and not black. (Sorry for all the comparisons but it is hard not to compare A Machine for Pigs to that game when it only came out recently.)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  12. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    penumbra series was the same way.......

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have a feeling that this game is not going to be anywhere near as atmospheric as Outlast but it may well have the better story. If that is told well then it could well be the better horror game but the engine is definitely a letdown as far as I'm concerned. It plays more like a first-person point 'n' click adventure really with some pointless and bizarre physics (chairs seem like they're made of balsa wood!).

Anyway, enough of the criticisms, I should play and judge it for what is not what I want it to be. Besides, it may be that the person I'm playing as is revealed to actually be a one-armed invisible ghost with telekinetic powers! :p

14. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    Spoilers!

The monster is like a cross between the pig and hulk lol. He's really freaky to look at.

15. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    What are those? GBufferType="0" NumOfGBufferTextures="3"

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The number of buffers, e.g. 2 = double-buffering, 3 = triple-buffering?

17. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Maybe its like in far cry 3 options menu ?

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm playing through this game and finding it moody, though not particularly scary or anything, certainly not like Outcast's first hour was. The story is intriguing the way it is leaked in small chunks. I'm on the fourth "level" so far if you count a level as being the part between loading screens. It's linear and so far I've haven't gotten lost but not a whole lot is happening; I'm just wandering around samey looking rooms holding a barely adequate lantern and exploring, solving some very basic puzzles. It's not bad but it's not brilliant so far either.

I'm also playing with the Xbox 360 controller and movement feels odd, like the deadzone isn't set properly, i.e. when I attempt to walk forward in a straight line, I seem to wobble from side to side. It's hard to explain but it's almost like the controller support hasn't been added properly.

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm seeing dips in the framerate from 60 fps straight down to 30 fps where it stays until I turn around and then it goes back to 60. Triple buffering isn't working in this game for me, even when I force it in the driver control panel. Anyone else seeing these framerate dips? I am forcing v-sync in the driver profile as well but only because the in-game v-sync option does work (I see loads of screen tearing with it enabled).

20. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    Graphically this game looks like it should have been released in 2003.
    Sure it has a few options but it really does not appeal to me graphically at all so far.
    I found the effects more annoying then enjoyable, hindered controls, blur vision...bahhh

Scare factor of 0 for the first few areas I've played,
    I'll put that down to Outlast had the graphics and atmosphere from the moment it started (even though I gave up on Outlast 4 levels in).

I'm finding my patience these days in games is dismal, so if the game feels like it's going to grate my nerves from the start by making me feel stupid all the time by making me double back and forth saying "what am I meant to do?, where am I meant to go?" then I just exit game and move on.
    Looking like what I'll be doing in this game.