How do you deal with your mortality?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by StewieTech, Jan 7, 2017.

1. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    You know, you cease to exist and worms eat you all around. I try not to think about it and hope i dont go out in pain. Lately ive been thinking about it a lot for some reason, and i think human existance is a brutal thing. Some kind of demon most have created this pathetic existance.

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Heavy metal.

3. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    If you look at the animal world, you notice a lot of violence... a continuous battle for survival. And it's happening without any of the animals "thinking" about it.

Many philosophers have pondered the meaning of life and death.
    But the most obvious truth is that there is no meaning... life itself is just a physical and chemical process, a very complex one yes, but still a process that "just happens to be". We exist only... to exist. That is all.

And eventually it ends. No need to spend your time thinking of it... just live, do whatever you can, and never regret any single moment. And then when you cease to exist... it doesn't matter anymore. Not for you anyway... because you're dead.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I accepted it a long time ago.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Choose the worm free path.
    It will brighten your whole outlook.

6. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    You mean cremation and going into space as radiation? Thats cool. :)

7. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Mortality is merely of the flesh, a transient state of existence.

Immortality is of the soul.

8. glock38

glock38 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 285 2GB
    It's a fact of life, something each and every one of us has to experience. I just hope mine is quick and painless. Who knows what's waiting on the other side, maybe nothing, maybe something beyond our wildest imaginations. No one truly knows.

For what it's worth, when my time comes I hope to be buried and a seed planted where my body lies. At least I'd live on as a tree that way, providing no one cuts it down!

9. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Denial until the bitter end.
    I WILL NOT GO SILENT INTO THE NIGHT..
    And hope for silly cryogenics and other marvels from science.
    (Do not help that i am atheistical, i sometimes envy the religious)

Always had my burial plans ready, shoot me out in a vacuumed airtight casket to the darkest part of the universe where the temperature is absolute 0.
    The big void between the galaxies will be my resting place, forever.
    (Just need to be a billionaire first and spend all my money inventing the casket)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well i will of course start the whole thing over again when the universe once again ends, and in it's death throws explodes in a massive big bang, which is in fact the beginning of a new universe, then you just have to wait until luck throws the dice in your favour and all your specific atoms and molecules once again come together as they have done countless times before, and the cycle starts all over again.

11. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    meh, we just have to get on with it dude, enjoy life while you can and dont dwell on the $hit side of it.

12. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I drive fast cars and squish bugs.

13. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Follow mother nature guidance, get laid and make babies.
    Humans might be intelligence to speculate, but we still trapped in meatbags, desperately maintaining it needs. Eat, sh1t, f4ck, sleep and back to eating.

While you can't be immortal, you leave a trace of your DNA in your children. You can "life" through next generations. This is the "immortality" nature promises us.

Mortality is important to keep gens updated with latest "version" (generation).
    You done your job, you successfully updated your DNA, you may die in piece now.
    Prolonging your life and becoming immortal of yourself makes you no better than a cancer. You are "outdated" and "useless" to nature.

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I bought a motorcycle. Profit.

15. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I wont die... and I hate it.......:bang:

but I do need a new body... this one is a lemon.

16. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060 laptop
    Is there more Evil in the world than good?

17. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Alcohol, lots and lots of alcohol.

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Just stick me in a pine box and be done with it. Life is what is important not what my corpse is in. Let the worms have at it. Death is the only thing in one's life that cannot be taken away. It is just as important how we choose to die as how we choose to live. Consistency, consistent in death as in life. Leave the existential stuff to philosophers and the like. Just approach each day as if it was your last.

19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Medical science for me, that way the greedy unscrupulous funeral companies do not get anything from me or mine, only way to do it, and i get the satifaction that my body my help some of the living in the future, which is nice.

20. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I think humans are most likely the only creature on this planet smart enough to ask such a question. And we assume since we have the capability to ask "what's the meaning", that there is one, or is something we are supposed to understand.

I think assuming there is a meaning is more human ego at play than anything.

It's hard to determine a meaning when you have children dying, disease, disabilities, hunger, etc.

What I stay up at night thinking about is - the start. I've always been baffled at scientists that will automatically shut down the idea of God as laughable, but openly accept that almost 14 billion years ago all the matter in the Universe was concentrated into a single incredibly tiny point and everything exploded into the universe.

Neither tells you anything. When you ask...well ok...but where did God come from? God had to come from somewhere...religion tells you to not question, other religion says just to have faith.

Meanwhile....this big bang theory isn't doing much for me either. Why? Well...everyone is so keen on this explosion but no one takes the time to ask where this matter that just existed in the universe came from?

No one has those answers, yet human beings are ignorant enough to make fun of every belief system in the world, full well knowing NO ONE has the exact truth to anything.