Serious question for Fellow Wii owners.....?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by jiu-jitsuGOD, Feb 5, 2007.

1. jiu-jitsuGOD

jiu-jitsuGOD Banned

GPU:
    quad sli8800GTX @826/2900 :) (H2o)
    O.k. without hurting anyone feelings here Id like to address something that seems to be very evident so far with this system.
    BESIDES ZELDA which I own and like very much. does this system feel a little gimmicky?
    I mean I have tried most of the other games for the system, and besides Wii sports (rather good) and zelda the rest of the games are complete garbage.

Splinter cell= Laughable
    4x4= Boring
    tony hawk =Boring
    Red steel = " maybe Average" without control problems
    Rayman Rabids = kiddie gimmick game
    crazy golf something = its golf
    Call of duty 3 = slightly above average questionable control issues horrid graphics compared to other ports( I know graphics it not the point of THE Wii but it still matters whether you like it or not )
    Farcry = Average maybe

So here is my point... Everyone of these games has control issues and pretty much is not really worth the dvd they are burned on muchless playing or spending 50-60 bucks on. So besides games made strictly by nintendo (I.E. ZELDA / Wii Sports) as of now This system feels Gimmicky after the Novelty wears off after a month or 2.
    The main purpose of this system is to have fun Right?!?!?!?!(its not just the graphics that are important anymore) yeah freakin right.Ill take PS3 and resistance anyday over wii sports or GOW and 360 over zelda or pc and oblivion over zelda. Because everyone of those Wii games are not very fun At All. And one or 2 games Zelda and Wii sports
    are not enough to hold my interest to a system. no matter how "awesome" a single game might be.

What do you guys think,

Jiu-jitsuGOD

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  2. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    sell me your wii

3. Yakspawn

Yakspawn Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT 512
    I saw this problem with the wii since the moment i first saw it and played it. After a few games of Wii sports and Zelda, there really isnt much left to do and the system is basically a nice toy that gets old after a month. I also feel that the Wii is too childish and lacks any serious games atm. Its a cool and orignal idea but ill take an xbox 360 or PS3 over it anyday.

4. Loki91

Loki91 Guest

GPU:
    nVIDIA 8800GTS 512MB @670
    I think that Nintendo definitely had a large line-up of games for launch, but as you said many of them weren't really top stuff. I think you're pretty much right when it you said that first party games by Nintendo were perhaps the best, and upcoming/newly released titles seem to only further reflect that (WarioWare: Smooth Moves, Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy etc).

Whether the Wii is 'gimmicky' or not really depends on what you expect of it. The Wii was, from the very beginning, marketed as a 'family fun' console with a completely different and as a result, novel control system. It's hard to expect hardcore gaming off it, even from its most hardcore games which try to cater for that demographic. I guess the key thing to understand is that it's unlikely you'll ever get a GoW-eque experience from the Wii. It's simply all about the 'literal fun' factor and the intuitive 'melt-in your hands' controller.

As for keeping your interest in the system, I think most of the key titles to look out for on the Wii are most likely to be Nintendo's own, with perhaps only a few key games from other developers.

If you still want that rigid, traditional gaming experience, you'd be better off selling your wii to 95hatchDX :p.

5. dmonk

dmonk Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    thats what they said about the DS. Gimmicky, and for the first several months, mainly Nintendo made games were good(Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Warioware).

But if you think gimmicky you will always see it. Different can look gimmicky no matter how good it is. I played Rayman raving rabbids and that is not really a gimmicky kid game in my opinion(although the story is silly). I and many others enjoyed it for a long night... and we are college students.

6. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    well.... developers have to get used to the control scheme, and know how to work with it to get a good controlling game to come out. Nintendo made the console.... hence why 1st party games seem to play better than the 3rd party.

The Godfather: Blackhand Edition looks like it'll be pretty fun. Mortal Kombat: Armageddon seems to have implemented the motion sensing quite well. It'll just take time before everything is tweaked to perfection. just like how computer hardware takes a bit of time before the bugs are worked out..... so does the Wii's control system.

I honestly love mine. i can't wait to play Wii Sports (if i can get a copy) and Godfather and Armageddon.... and whatever other neat games they might come out with.

7. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    It's selling like hot cakes so I think the dev support will be coming pretty soon. Until then you're going to have weak games methinks.

Edit* I'll buy it off of you if the other guy doesn't want it.

8. Jigsore

Jigsore Active Member

GPU:
    3 x gtx 280 sli evga
    I bought one at launch because I am friends with a guy at the video games store so I got one without a wait, and it has been turned on only a few times. The graphics are total garbage, and the only two games worth a damn are Wii sports, and Zelda. The controller is a great idea that only works on about half of the commands, and I'm sure this thing will go away pretty soon once the majority of the public gets their hands on it.

9. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Can you expand on this a little? Do you think it's the games that have the problems or is it the controller? I haven't played it myself so I don't know.

10. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M

11. jiu-jitsuGOD

jiu-jitsuGOD Banned

GPU:
    quad sli8800GTX @826/2900 :) (H2o)
    guys I really appreciate the responses . my post were not to make people feel bad about the Wii in anyway at all and I really appreciate the character in which you all handled objections/responses ETC,ETC
    This is a good system just Im not impressed by the third party support especially in the controls.There are some games that look pretty interesting games coming out Especially day of Crisis.

I understand exactly What the Wii is supposed to be for, and Its Angle in the gaming world.
    If anyone seriously wants my Wii let me know pm me. I have 2 full controllers (nunchuks and remotes)with Zelda and Wii sports the HDtv adapter
    2 wireless GC controllers for it as well. If I can swing it passed my wife (since it was a gift) Ill even go half on the shipping.

12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The only game I have had issues with playing was Farcry, I thought it sucked. But, it's your choice what you get. I'd wait for other games to come out atleast, you know. The Wii hasen't even been fully taken advantage of hardware wise. It's a little stronger than the Xbox, and developers had good games on the Xbox. Look what they did with Halo 2 on the xbox. They had doom 3 running on DX8 practically, which is natively OpenGL. You'll honestly have to wait for more games to come.

If you want a fun game, and even if you aren't into Football, pick up Madden. It's really fun on the Wii.

13. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    In all logic, lets note that the 360 and PS3 all did not have more than maybe 1 or 2 good games in its launch period. (Which is months)

So expecting any system to build a huge a wide range of above average games from the start is kind of well...not going to happen. Thats why I never pick up any game system until I know theres a few games out that I want. Wii wise, Ill get that when there are more colors out and its cheaper. Also itll be close to the super smash bros release + Online play.

I said the same thing about my DS and was about to sell it but there is no way in hell I'm selling it in these days in time....unless I want to get the Lite version.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  14. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    The current games out are why I never bought my pre-order Wii.

I'm giving it around 6 months.

15. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    the release games where average at best , im not a massive xelda fan so that didnt appeal to me , tho red steel does look good

i own a 360 and will buy the ps3 when its out simply becuase its taking too long for the good pc games to come out

16. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Wii is a nice system. Give it time.
    I wish I could find one. They've become something of a legend around here.

Consoles these days are looking a bit drab, even if they're new. I found the 360 to be a huge disappointment. They offer mostly ports of PC games, nothing really original. Ah for the good old days of the 8-bit, 16-bit, and 64-bit eras.

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    This is probably the best thing to do, and probably IMO the best thing posted in this topic.

18. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    i agree completely with orenda. I wasn't surprised at all when the 360 came out. CoD2 had a simultaneous release on multiple platforms.... and no matter how you look at it, it always seemed to look better on PC. it's still not surprising me. Gears of War seems kinda neat... but then again.... from what i've heard, it's basically the same old FPS, and the multiplayer is a rush for the sniper rifle on every map. PS3 also doesn't thrill me that much. so what.... it has BluRay. even the people behind MGS4 said that after getting all the HD audio and textures and everything onto the disc, you basically could get a game to look just as good on a plain DVD minus the audio quality.

Wii and the DS are just about the only gaming platforms to completely change the entire design in the past oh..... hell.... i don't even remember how many years. probably since the age of the NES.... maybe earlier. Nintendo announced the motion sensing controllers, and everyone thought "EEW, that's going to suck!!!!". later on they started showing little demo's of what would be possible with the motion sensing capabilities of said controller(s), and how they could change the way we play games (which i have to say it really did), and people started getting more intrigued. Eventually it started to become more and more widespread news.... "Hey, Nintendo's next generation console is going to have motion sensing controllers!". what did sony do then? ditched the boomerang design.... went back to the good ol' tried-n-true Dual-Shock design, threw in motion sensing at the cost of rumble (which there was clearly plenty of room in the controller for), and completely baffled people as to why they did such a thing.

I honestly think it's going to be 360 and Wii holding their own this time around. in my opinion.... Sony should have stuck with their boomerang design, or kept the rumble feature for the sixaxis (hate saying that freakin name), and stuck with having games on standard DVD's, targeting the vast majority of people. They seem to have targeted people who have HDTV's more than those who want to play games that look good. probably why it's not doing too well so far here in the US, as well as in Japan. 360 doesn't stress HD, but gives people the opportunity to buy the HD DVD player if they want to. Wii doesn't support "HD" resolutions, but at least it got quite a good nudge in it's graphics capabilities over the gamecube.

19. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Whoever told you that lied. The Lancer is nearly the most useless weapon in GoW. Lately everyone just leaves it alone. The three basic weapons are the most effective in the game. The chainsaw gun, the shotgun, and the nades.

20. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    well.... think i actually heard about that in a review of the game..... but then again.... even from what you say.... it's still the same typical FPS. Hell, when i play HL2DM, i use the stunstick like crazy just to stray away from the typical spray-n-pray of an SMG, splash damage of a grenade, and close-range shot power of a shotty. i also haven't touched the RPG in that game since it came out. using easy weapons makes a game boring as hell. Kinda like CS. can't stand where a single headshot results in death. yes, that's the way it is in real life.... but it's kind of annoying when people just camp their life away, aiming down a single hallway, just waiting for a head to pop into the crosshairs of their AWP.