Successful gigabyte hd7790 1GB into R7 260x bios flash!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by spectatorx, Jun 1, 2014.

1. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    That's what i just did and decided to share with you this great news!

Downloaded bios file of r7 260x 1GB OC from Gigabyte support website, downloaded atiWinFlash in latest available version, prepared files for simplistic flash, rebooted pc and everything works fine.

Step by step...
    It wasn't easy to find trusted bios file of r7 260x with 1GB of memory, gigabyte support website seems to be very trusted on this kind of thing. When i found it decided to try it out, i'm very cautious person so i awaited with doing this until i will have any other gpu in case of failure(it delayed me few months xD ). When i was ready i prepared tool for flash - atiWinFlash. Created backup of hd7790 bios with gpu-z and with atiWinFlash (in the past i had some problems with .rom files created with gpu-z so decided to do one more dump with atiWinFlash, just in case). On first attempt i tried to flash card with GUI version of program but it refused with error message about mismatching device subIDs. So i was forced to force flash which is possible only from commandline version of atiFlash and that's what i did (atiwinflash -f -p 0 bios.bin). Awaited until it finished and prompted to restart, restarted pc. On boot windows gave me bluescreen (probably caused by loading new driver, replacing driver or whatever related to unexpected driver changes) but on next boot everything went fine. Just in case, reinstalled drivers, pc is working good so far.

Here you can download files i did use to it and try on your own but remember to create backup first!!! Also you must be noticed: flashing vga to other model can fail so if you are trying to do this you do this at your own risk!!!! Of course i hope everything will do fine to anyone who will try it :)

Ok, link here:
    http://speedy.sh/UdvxK/r7-260x-autoflash-utility.7z

In this archive is everything you need, instructions included.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  2. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Good to see you managed to flash it! Does it give you higher clocks without technically "overclocking" the card? Did a lot of cards including the non-overvolting Asus 7970 DCII (which overvolts now). And what about temps? I've seen a number of cards that started running hotter due to higher stock voltage... Anyway, congratz!

3. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    I do not know if exists any bios editing tool for hd7xxx and Rx 2xx gpus, otherwise i could mess around more with clocks, voltages, etc on bios level.

Additional problem is i have kinda rare 1GB version when most of hd7790 and r7 260x are 2GB, i could try bioses from other 1GB cards with higher clocks but unfortunately i couldn't find any over internet. If anyone owns r7 260x 1GB with higher clocks than this gigabyte pls upload its bios and provide link to download, it will be nice.

My gpu can easily be overclocked stable without overvolting to 1250MHz on gpu and 1700MHz on memory so flashing bios from higher clocked models shouldn't be much problem to it.

Gigabyte hd7790 OC and r7 260x 1GB both have exactly the same clocks so unfortunately it didn't give me higher clocks, i just did it... "because i can".

Temperatures are fine, the same as they were on hd7790.

4. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Shouldn't be that much of a problem. As long as the IC's match I guess... Just make sure you check the type of mem it uses. You COULD try HEX editing the BIOS, might even be some guides out there, best bet would be OCN. However it DOES take a certain amount of skill and understanding. As for tools, try RBE ;) Those clocks do sound good! Should give a nice boost.

5. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    RBE supports cards up to HD6xxx series, for later cards there is vbe7 but.. it lacks features, doesn't support hd7790/r7 260x and personally i do not like the tool much. Good it exists, has few nice options but seems to need much more polishing.

Yes, i was considering hex editing the bios but i'm not as much skilled to do this properly and i would be afraid of flashing my gpu with bios hex edited by myself :D

6. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Hmm, nice tool for those who can use it indeed :S

And you should be! ;) Hex edits aren't that hard, it just requires some reading. Even UEFIGOP can be added to a card if done correctly! OCN has a few threads about it IIRC.

7. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3060 msi 8gb

In reality there isnt exist r7 260x with 1 gibyte ram.

All the companies that had stock of 7790's released bios updates which made 7790 to r7260x only in name.

The only thing we benefit from this flashing is:

1) newer ati bios for compatibility with motherboards.
    2) and better voltage regulation .

I also updated mine and thnks for sharing.

THe true r7 260x has highter clocks from 7790's.

8. MrTati

MrTati Guest

GPU:
    hd7790
    Flash gigabyte

Hi , I know it is old post but I can not afford any hardware changes ATM.

Please can you help me to flash this Gigabyte hd7790OC 2 GB to be able to install last AMD drivers.
    Both AMD and Gigabyte give no response to my query.:bang::stewpid:

My drivers stuck on 16.12.1 and can not be upgraded to newest one.

All links in this thread have expired.

so I need step by step instruction and links to R7 260x OC 2gb Bios, and utilities which can flash the card.

Please help.:banana: