Leaked BIOS easily turns Radeon HD 7970 into GHz Edition

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Lane, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^
    First stop CCC service, then edit following .xml file.
    After editing restart CCC to apply changes, once that is done you may disable CCC completely and voltages will stick.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Can someone with this leaked BIOS post a GPU Caps Viewer screenshot with 7970? GPU Tab, please :D

3. defcoms

defcoms Guest

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire
  4. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Thanks man!

5. defcoms

defcoms Guest

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire
    You got some kind of master plan to make these things work better?

6. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Nope. Just want to compare the pic with my settings :nerd:

7. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    what kind of minimum fps do bf3 & cry2 have?

btw your cleartype is backwards, BGR instead of RGB (something like that), does the text in your image look much cleaner if you rotate it by 180 degrees?

had a friend with backwards cleartype once... never found out why it happened, he formatted & it was back to normal :3eyes:

8. asder00

asder00 Don Di Driver

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64 Liquid
  9. defcoms

defcoms Guest

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire
  10. jsksjs

jsksjs Guest

GPU:
    HD 7970 Gigabyte

I have the same card as you and i have the same problem. The flash goes good but the drivers crap out on the card. The card and the drivers won't match anymore and Windows says the drivers don't work with the card. I went back to my original bios after trying for about 18 hours. Better wait for a workaround.

11. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    what kind of minimum fps do bf3 & cry2 have?.....I don't have either one of those games, but with fonv capped at 60 I would stay in the 50 - 60 fps range with occassional drops to the 40s. Whenever I go into the atomic wrangler or certain places on the strip it would drop to the 30s, but I understand that just the nature of the game and happens to everyone.

btw your cleartype is backwards, BGR instead of RGB (something like that), does the text in your image look much cleaner if you rotate it by 180 degrees?.....Thats weird, it looks fine on my monitor. I use win 7 snipping tool for screen captures. Always thought it work great. Will check into it. Thx.

12. plywood99

plywood99 Guest

You are the man!!

Curious does the memory voltage setting work to?

Okies tried it out, and no memory voltage doesn't seem to work...

Oh well...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
  13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah memory voltage can't be adjusted afaik....

14. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    So, finally i was bored 2hours ago, so i have decided to flash my cards with 7970 Ghz bios.

Both Cards are bought around Jan 2012:

- Sapphire HD7970 3Gb Reference PCB and design ( H2o cooled )
    - HIS HD7970 3Gb Reference PCB and design (h2o cooled )

Just hitted "flash" ( i have disable CFX in CCC first ), reboot > let the drivers update with the new cards. All is working perfectly.

Just done some few tests with 3Dmark11 and 2 games. no problem at all so far.

- Initial VDDC on both card is 1112 and 1117mv ( both cards supporting 1400mv with Trixxx overclocking software, Same now for MSI Afterburner )

- MSI AB show a VDDC between 1093 > 1149mv. ( +33mv )
    - GPU-Z show a max VDDC of 1133mv. ( + 16mv )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  15. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    In addition, it look like MSI Afterburner, completely miss the real VDDC reading with GHZ bios. It allways show only 1149mv, even if i set 1380mv with Trixxx.

so or the volts are not applied, or they are, ( but i doubt i can oc at more of 1200mhz with only 1149mv. )

16. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Yeah, It's not compatible with Ghz Edition quite yet.

17. xNAPx

xNAPx Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7970 Lightning
    what this modify is needed for?

18. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    its to change the max vddc target...like the voltage slider in trixx

BTW: aida 64 properly reads the Vddc target, they call it GPU CORE.

19. Stu @ MSD

Stu @ MSD Guest

GPU:
    3x HD7970 @ 1260/1950
    Thanks guys, flashed my 3x Sapphire 7970HD's and had two hours on Black Ops 2 tonight and all is well. Results in screenshots below. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will do some more serious benching tomorrow night but it has to be said this bios flash was well worthwhile, ULPS working perfectly and no 3rd party software messing about to tweak overclocks.
    I am a happy man.

20. john7up

john7up Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Ati HD 7970 OC
    Hey mates. It seems I've given a bit of a rush last night when I just received my Gigabyte Ati Radeon HD 7970 OC (1ghz stock) , and tried flashing to make it into GHZ Edition (for boosted memory from 1375 to 1500)

Now, it won't boot or anything, I've tried all possible programs to flash, it also ruined both Windows 7 and Windows 8 for me, I'm trying to reinstall W7 ultimate x64 now, if there's any possibility of flashing a card that isn't recognized thoroughly (not in gpuz) not in the 2 gigabyte software - easy tune something and gigabite bios, and it won't recognize it (the bios tab grays out) , so does on the other program. in W8 ati flash ati winflash and other software apparently aren't compatible, and I don't know exactly how to make dos work on the UEFI bios motherboard Asrock Extreme4 z77. Also running a SSD raid (2x180GB Intel s-ata 3)

Can you guys please advise? I will install W7 now and need a windows or dos solution afterwards, as thorough as possible, I've just spent my 2 salaries on that videocard, so I can't take no, it's broken and also lost its waranty for an answer. I have saved the original bios (stupid me, at least that).

Thing is I've done several bios flashes so far and other 'risky' things, but all turned out just fine, so didn't know that if it wasn't a reference card would turn this way....

Please advise, I'd be a thousand times grateful.

John.