Card won't overclock anymore?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Colt M4, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    My question is it was working for a month or so and the temps never went above 60 and i am using the stock vrm and memory heatsinks?

2. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

No one can answer that short of inspecting the hardware. Try removing the sink and see if it makes any difference. You've tried everything else.

3. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    trying that right now I also tried the 12.8 right before hand they did the exact same thing.

4. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    Thanks so much for the help mate I think I got it fixed. I pulled the cooler off and reapplied the paste using the credit card method. The problem was defiantly heat wise cause i did a run of heaven so 4 minutes of bench marking at 1.2 volts and it hit 59 instead of 64 when it crashed at 40 seconds and it didn't droop as much started at 1.188 and ended up stable at 1.137. So my last question is what amount of droop acceptable?

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

You can't do anything about vdroop as far as software is concerned, keep going until you are stable, the final voltage is actual voltage and as long as temps are good that's all that matters.

I also suggest carefully checking the mount and figuring out what was overheating because if it took it a month to start playing up it may happen again, and even though it's unlikely, it could even damage something.

6. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    The paste wasn't covering everything cause when I pulled the heat spreader off and the cooler off it didn't look proper. Another question is my previous overclock when I was using 1.168 volts is that even any good anymore?

7. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

If it wasn't set up properly then probably best to start again, it'll be running cooler now so you can use the old setting as a reference and start bringing voltage down one step at a time.

8. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    no card no cpu no memory nothing inside computer needs "overclocking"... when consumers realize that, their life will be overclocked and upgraded...