Newbie getting ready to build a new computer !! Please help me!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nyrmetros, Jul 13, 2008.

1. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Ok, so here's the deal. I'm in the beginning stages of planning to build a new computer.

I don't want a store bought system. I want to get all the parts myself, and have either a friend or my local computer store (that I trust and bought computers at for 15 years) put together the machine.

The computer is going to be designed as a gaming computer, but obviously the rest of the family will be using it as well.

I recently went to microcenter to get an idea of what is out there and to price some parts.

This was the list of items that was reccomended by the gentleman who helped us. Let me know what you folks think about these items and their prices.

EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW $249.99

IPSG Intel Boxed C2D 8400 $159.99
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0281097

Seagate 1TB 3.5" SATA 7200 RPM HDD $199.99
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0281709

Pioneerel Blue-Ray Disc/DVD/CD combo $199.99
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0260614

TAGAN BZ700 700W Modular PSU $159.99

EVGA GF8800GT SC 512 PCIE $204.99
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0276270

Antec Twelve Hundred ATX Case $149.99
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0288150

Corsair 2x1GB DDR2 PC8500 KIT $99.99
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0263429

Subtotal - $1, 424.92
    Tax - $122.97
    Total - $1, 547.89

I am not set with buying any of this, just some early parts research.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  2. surrealX

surrealX Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Do you plan on overclocking? Sli in the future? Budget?

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    I think that cap is around $1, 500 or so.
    I want to go cheap as possible, but I don't want to skimp on important parts.
    SLI might be in the future, I'm not sure though. I myself would probably not be overclocking, but if an item came overcloced that's different.

4. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090
    you should get a ati 4870/4850 and 2 gig ram more if you go vista

5. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT Nitro+
    You dont need 750i FTW if you are not overclocking, normal 750i will do just fine.

Pioneerel Blue-Ray Disc/DVD/CD combo $199.99? Are you sure normal DVD burner isnt enough?

2GB more RAM, you should look for 2*2GB kits.

I'm sure you can find cheaper case if you want.

6. btomic

btomic Member

GPU:
    2x Viztek 4850
    A couple things I would think of, this is a gaming computer yes? but your not a die hard overclocker? Maybe your could consider a cheaper more budget friendly board, and buy a better chip with the money or pocket it.

Do you REALLY need 1TB?

NO sli? You most likely dont need a 700w power supply 550-600 would do, can find some good deals on those.

No overclocking, means decent temps, and a much cheaper pretty case would suffice.

I also would go with a ati GPU better bang for the buck ATM, if you do, dont buy a nvdia chipset board.

7. MileHighMilitia

MileHighMilitia Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD4850 + TT DuOrb 700/1135
    I see a problem... youre paying 204 bucks for a 8800 GT when a 4850 would destroy one of those for the same price! Get one of these and do youself a favor

and as long as youre not getting a nvidia card, just ditch the 750i all together and get a p45/x38 motherboard that supports crossfire.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  8. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    I second this,
    I have not read a review on the sli ftw, but at that price you might wish to consider:

Gigabyte p45-DQ6 $250
    Review here the mobo from asus wins till they test games.

Also a Radeon 4850 or 4870 would be preferable to the card you listed. Cut the hard drive to 500gb and get a 4870 with the $100 you save.

Alternatively since you're just doing research rightnow... in a monthish the 4870x2's should be out. If you wait that long consider cutting the HD to 500gb saving $100, then cut the motherboard to a gigabyte-p45-ds3l and save $150, then throw a 4870x2 in there with the cash you saved :)

9. surrealX

surrealX Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
  10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    I think I am going to stick with Nvidia, mostly because I somewhat know the product line development. Don't really know anything aboot the ATI cards. I actually was considering getting 4 gb of ram, but I am not sure I want to get Vista. I may stay with XP which I read can only read 2 gb of ram. I am not sure that Vista is primetime yet.

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    As I said, I probably will not be overclocking, unless I get REALLY into this thing.
    Do I need a Blue-Ray player? I dunno. I have an Acer 24 inch monitor that is HD compliant, but do I really need a Blue-Ray player? Once again I dunno.

I did want to get more ram, but I am not sure if I am going to get Vista. XP only supports 2 gb of ram, unless I am mistaken.

Regarding the case, I am open to more ideas. I am not set in stone on the Antec Twelve Hundred. The reviews seemed solid, but the major gripe was the case parts having to be unscrewed the old way. I do want a Blue LED case though with LOTS of fans and room for more goodies.

12. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Rofl so? Waste money cause you don't know something. At least get the 260 from nvidia which is the same price due to the HD4870 prices.

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    Well, I'm not set on any particuliar Nvidia card, so I will take a look at the 260 from Nvidia.

I just got back from my local computer shoppe. We were discussing the parts from the list I wrote above and he made some recommendations. Just curious as to what you helpful folks think of these...

He recommended sticking with Antec for the case and PSU. I am very open to suggestions on different Antec cases and PSUs. I definately want a powerful and reliable PSU with good wattage. I am trying to learn about the voltage and rails, and all that stuff.

I will be sticking with win XP. The guy did say that win xp can support 3.5 gigs of ram, so therefore it would pay to get 4gb of ram. So what's the best ram for the $ these days?

The guy also said that I should drop down the hard drive from 1 TB down to 500 gb SATA, either Western Digital or Seagate. I could either get a second HD at 1 TB, or go for an external, if need be.

The nforce motherboard was not recomended, that I should stick with a genuine Intel MB. I do want a SLI capable Mobo. And regards to the processor, the Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 ghz was mentioned.

I asked about a Sound card but was told the built in sound on the MB was just as good as the add on sound cards these days. 7.1 channel the norm these days?

The optical drive was discussed. Blue-Ray = waste. Get a pioneer SATA DVD/RW

And the video card...... I was basically told to get whatever I want. lol. So lots of research and input needed there.

I was told water cooling is more of a gimmick than anything else. thoughts?

And my budget is still $1500 or less. If possible.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    So for the case and power supply....
    I am looking at the Antec webpage now.
    The cases have 2 options, the Nine Hundred and the Twelve Hundred. I am going to read reviews on both these cases and price them.

There seem to be a lot more choices for the PSU from Antec.
    The Signature series is the top of the line.
    The TruePower Quattro series, The Newpower series, The TruePower Trio series, and the Earthwatts series...... choices......

* The Antec Twelve Hundred had good reviews in regards to airflow and room, but had negatives for difficulty in opening the case and screwing everything instead of the clips.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129043
    $204.95

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0288150
    $149.99

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  15. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090
    just look into ATI and you will see its most of the times better than a 260

and xp 64 bit also supports 4 gb

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    I thought XP 64 bit was discontinued because of Vista?

17. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    Ok, you'll want something along the liens of this:

Intel E8400 or Q9300
    ATI 4780/Nvidia 260 GTX
    2x2gb GeiL Black Dragon or OCZ Reaper
    Normal 750i motherboard
    Good 700W PSU, my OCZ would be a good example,. Or spend a little mroe for a Modular one.
    A case along the lines of a Thermaltake Aguila/Tsunami Dream.
    Regular DVD writer/reader drive, I think Blu-Ray ones are still overpriced, plus you don't really need it right now and if you want one, it's the most difficult part to go out and buy on a sudden whim.

Ok I think that's everything, although as has been said, the HD4870/4850 is much better than the Nvidia 8800gt/s and in most cases 9800gtx+. So if you are willing, I would suggest a HD4870, only after the HD4870X2 release though when prices should drop.

And believe me, ATI are a good company, I had an X1800Xt a couple years ago and I was happy all the way with it till I swapped it for an 8800GTS. Although driver support is lacknig currently.

Hope it all goes well!

HyBrId

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    How are the Thermaltake cases compared to Antec? It looks like Thermaltake has many different cases, while Antec has only 3 game oriented cases.

19. surrealX

surrealX Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Thermaltake has some good cases. Many people can vouch for that. I myself have had a Antec P182 and I loved it. Either case company is good.

20. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 480 1.5gb ddr5
    There are so many options out there. Eek! So the cooling management on the Thermaltakes is as good as Antec? All the reviews say that the Antec is a great case but a b$tch to open up with the screws....