Vishera the last of AMD FX CPUs: Roadmap Shows

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It seems that the FX processors from AMD have been the last generation of real 'pure' CPUs from them.  AMD FX "Vishera" is the last line of CPUs from AMD according to a radmap. It makes...

Vishera the last of AMD FX CPUs: Roadmap Shows

2. No provision for yummy DDR4 even in 2015? It would really benefit the IGP.

3. DeAnt28790

DeAnt28790 Member

GPU:
    never mind DDR4, I want shared GDDR5 like the ps4.
    Also, its just a picture from who knows where. Maybe they're planning something awesome for FX and keeping it under wraps. As amazing as their APUs are, I hope they keep up their CPU only chips. If I'm building a gaming PC, I don't want an IGP. It just seems like a waste... On the other hand, AMD said they could offload a lot of stuff to an IGP from a dedicated GPU with Mantle. So if this is true about the FX line, then Mantle better take off in a big way.

4. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    What wasn't mentioned is that an 8350 downclocked to 2.0ghz was gpu bound on Mantle-based applications at the recent show. Unless AMD announces that they will stop producing the 8350, let's assume that since it's an incredibly superior processor compared to 'next gen' processors in consoles, they plainly don't need to bother with making a better cpu. They have absolutely no need to improve on their cpu's, the 8350 is massively popular and with Mantle nothing more is needed. Hell, overclocked for me to 4.8 it runs several games on par with a 4770k (without Mantle). Gaming is going Mantle with AMD. The PS4 and Xbone have 8-thread AMD processors waaaay down clocked, the only thing that makes sense now is to lower prices on PC hardware.

You will eventually be able to buy an 8350 for 50-100 US, or a Mantle supported GCN powered APU. Game over Intel :) Games from now on are designed for AMD's multi-threaded design. Hahahaha! What an incredibly fast victory

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

5. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    EVIL LAUGH - MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Intel / nVidia... you let the underdog smash you!

6. David3k

David3k Member Guru

GPU:
    Graphics Processing Unit
    The most important thing to note here is that "Vishera" is the name of the CPU package that contained "Piledriver" cores for the AM3+ Socket, and that the real star of the show is "Piledriver"

The AM3+ is the last of the line, because it doesn't achieve their long-term goals of offloading FPU and other tasks to GCN cores, since the AM3+ platforms don't support APUs. The idea is, regardless of having a dedicated graphics card, that all tasks that will run faster on a gpu, can be offloaded to one automatically by design.

The FM line of sockets, on the other hand, shows us that, aside from supporting APUs (which already have the same Enhanced Piledriver cores on the latest available units that Vishera has), allow for CPUs that don't have a graphics unit. (Despite the names, are actually Piledriver-based APUs with deactivated GPU cores making them CPUs)

So, in the future, I expect that AMD will have CPUs for the FM line that don't just have deactivated GPUs, but are designed/manufactured without them, for the enthusiast market (since we usually buy a dedicated graphics card anyway).

Vishera is just Enhanced Piledriver package without the GPUs on the chip, it's not really the end of the line for anything.

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    How much difference would L3 cache make to the APUs?

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    A decent amount of gain I would say. Look at the phenol vs the athlon. The big boost that will help these apu's out is memory. Amd needs to push ddr4

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The "next gen" consoles aren't just running underclocked AMD processors. They're running processors based on AMD's "Jaguar" [mobile] architecture, which is completely different from Bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller, etc. AMD, in reality, has no more advantage than Intel does in regards to their processors. The only advantage AMD may possibly have, is with graphics and that still remains to be seen.

10. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    You like talking out of your ass ay. Dumb ass Fanboi go get educated.
    Guru 3D I love your reviews but your forum has to be one of the dumbest communities, very close to Toms hardware in that regards....I'll eat my hat when mentle provides move than %25 gain in FPS.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Mantle is only expected to provide around 20% better performance. That may or may not turn out to be the case but we won't know until games get released using it. Until such time, there's really nothing to debate about it.

Now, those claiming that AMD processors being in the "next gen" consoles are going to change the computer industry are very misguided. They're purpose built processors based on a mobile architecture with very little relation to their desktop counterparts.

12. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  13. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
  14. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    ahhhh ok cool

15. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I don't mind this news the apu's clock for clock and core for core perform almost the same but with the added gpu I just hope they release some without the igpu for super overclocking.

16. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    they could make quad channel memory controller for the apu, there are already 4 dimm slots on the boards

17. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    256-bit GDDR5 memory controller :p

18. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    A quad memory controller would be nice on the apu

19. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru