Help Plz: 7990 or R9 290x?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by brigada, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Lol...here's a "secret" for you.

I'm a Systems Engineer at Fujitsu NZ, now in case you haven't heard of Fujuitsu, they are the worlds 3rd largest IT Managed Services corporation....(Google managed services).

Normally it would not even be mentioned but...somehow I just felt compelled.....must be something u said.

Earlier yesterday we tested a batch of cards for one of our enterprise clients that were found have faulty components. Guess which cards they were? I'll let you figure that out.....
    Btw.....there's a thread on the first page of this forum with 11,500 views and a couple hundred post's about 290x black screens, it's not hard to find.

So I seriously suggest you lose that newbie know it all attitude buddy and lose it fast..... mmmk?

There are quite a few people on this great site that are pretty well informed..... certainly a lot more clued up than you appear to be, It's not nice to say they're talking BS.

All cleared up? Great. ;)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  2. swing848

swing848 Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Lightning
    Like most of us, I also read.

The title explains itself, Like most of us, I also read.

And, I was in the computer field for many years, and owned my own company. I am now disabled.

However, I did everything from design, build, troubleshoot, consultant, among other duties.

I was an expert in the computer field, and retain much of my education and experience.

I do read and build computers for myself, family, and friends, using only quality components. If they want something overclocked, I do that.

I keep up with what is going on in the computer industry and apply that information to what I build, and to advice given to others, including companies.

I was an expert, and although I no longer own my own company am still an expert when compared to the average computer user.

I do not know what your qualifications are, however.

You could have asked me if I was an expert or phrased your comment differently so as to not be inflammatory. As it is your comment leaves a negative connotation.

3. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Pill you forgot this:

Deal with it!

4. swing848

swing848 Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Lightning
    Here we go again.

I am familiar with the 290X black screen issue, and it's debate. As to 11,500 views, that only indicates interest, and that interest most likely comes from individuals interested in information about or are considering purchasing a 290X, it does not reflect a negative response nor does it indiciate that 11,500 people that had those forum views actually have had the black screen problem that you mentioned.

I was going to explain something, however, you have already provided your credentials, and I am unwilling to spend [waste] my time debating that issue until I become more familiar with you, at least through text, in an effort to establish good commentary.

Thank you for telling me what company you work for, however, your statement is condescending.

Simply because I have not posted a great deal here, until recently, does not mean I have no education or experience in the hardware field.

I used to frequent ExtremeTech prior to their latest format, and prior to that 3DFiles until they were purchased and incorporated into ExtremeTech.

I do not and cannot spend time on every forum as I make efforts to help other people, it is simply impossible. Even though I am disabled and have more time for helping others, I cannot consume myself visiting every web site and in an effort to help everyone with every problem.

I made no condescending comments to or about you. I suggest that you ponder this and possibly consider a reevaluation of what kind of person I am [as I made no inflammatory remarks about you or your field of study and work].

My only request is that you please make an inquiry prior to making a judgment, let alone an attack upon my person or anyone else if you are unaware of their background, and that you investigate in order to make a more proper conclusion.

I do wish you the best in your work and your life and I am glad that you are outspoken.

5. swing848

swing848 Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Lightning
    If your are referring to R9 290 or R9 290X, at the moment, all of those video cards are supplied as reference to every company that sells for them. If your are talking about the 290 series, also I do not know which company you are commenting on.

Further, as you know, or should, if you are the self proclaimed expert that you are, faulty components have come from every computer hardware company and component I can think of, which is just about all of them. Anything mounted on a PCB can be faulty, as you know. Therefore, what is the point you are making as any component has a chance to be faulty?

I could comment in length, however, I do not want to waste my time and digress further from the serious question the OP has asked.

This thread should not be hijacked in your simple effort to trample me.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Point is that R9-290x problem is very real and denial does not help. And it's only good approach to warn any potential customer about high possibility it will be defective.

There is usual defect rate about 1% for new products, 5% for entire life time of product. Here we are like 5-10% for new cards. That may end up with 30% defect rate in next 2 years.

Since AMD has not confirmed what issue is and how they will deal with it, potential customers should be warned.
    No matter how I want AMD to success with this launch, it's not good one this time.

And btw, quite some of people who you can see posting in Black Screen thread had 290(x) at some point. Some gave up and got other alternative, others sent it on RMA, some still testing.

7. swing848

swing848 Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Lightning
    brigada - back to your question

I regret this thread has gotten away from your question, therefore, I will repost Guru3D's review, so you can have the graph you asked for. You can also look at other graphs from this review, simply pick a different page. Note: the review was made prior to the much better Beta9.2 driver

Battlefield 4 page:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/his_radeon_r9_290x_review,20.html

Conclusion page:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/his_radeon_r9_290x_review,32.html

8. swing848

swing848 Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Lightning
    Fox2232

Thank you. I purchased mine several minutes after they first became available. If anything goes wrong, I will try to remember to post it in this section. After testing the components on my video card it looks as though they are good.

9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Just wanted to pop in and say that it's worth considering the difference in minimum FPS between the two cards in question. While this review shows average FPS, do remember that at higher framerates, the chance for CPU bottlenecks and lower scaling increases. So the gap between minimum FPS might be different from the gap in average FPS. Just something to keep in mind when you see the cards performing closely. You'll notice larger gaps in certain titles (no CPU bottleneck?) and higher resolutions (no bottleneck + more scaling?).

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You were the one trying to trample on people with your high and mighty crap....until you got served. So deal with it.

Btw great troubleshooting skills you have....funny you missed this.
    http://forums.amd.com/game/messagev...=169403&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

11. swing848

swing848 Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Lightning
    yasamoka,

Thank you for your comment and observation. In regards to minimum frame rates in games, I wish Guru3D had supplied minimum frames per second. And, this subject could get deep, and confusing to a neophyte.

In fairness, a great deal of video cards were often referred to, and that would have made it more difficult for the reviewer, and to the new reader having to see so many sets of bars, although they could have been color coded to make it much easier to read. Personally, I would rather look at 70 bars if minimum fps were listed instead of 35, however, what about the novice? I still think 70 would be of more help

I think your point should be take into account by Guru3D in the future.

Also, if minimum frames per second in a given game only rarely spiked downward to, say, 1/2 the refresh rate, many games would not be impacted, even fast moving games, as long as minimum fps occurred very rarely. That brings up another problem for testers, telling viewers how often minimum fps occurred that would impact a game as to make it much less enjoyable. If minimum fps in a game was at 45fps or more 99% of the time that would help many people determine what direction to go.

As long as fast moving games average low is around 45fps it should keep most people happy, unless they have to turn down eye candy, which most people have to do in demanding modern games.

After rereading this post I realized I had gone far too technical for a novice reader and decided to remove all of that text and stop here, as I think the OP and others like him might get information overload.

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    The problem with measuring minimum FPS is that several benchmarks themselves are unreliable for their reported minimum FPS. That is why a graph is so important. However, you can't keep showing comparative graphs in a graphics card roundup. All you can do is, perhaps, link to the graph obtained.

A trimming procedure could be used to take out the falsely reported min FPS or those dips that correspond to dropped frames. But even those can mess up the experience in a way not reported in FPS.

Oh well...

13. swing848

swing848 Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Lightning
    Thank you for the URL, even though it is questionable at the moment. The problem has not been resolved, and until it is complaints to AMD should be made with full computer specs, including the power supply mfg. and model number.

Also, cards with this problem should be instantly RMA'd and AMD should be required to check each returned video card, and individually check each card prior to shipping [instead of only a few checked].

Also, I did not find and read your link, because I was having no problem with my card. I did read a few posts from that link after you posted it here.

And, please stop hijacking this thread with your condescending remarks. They will not help the OP.

14. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    at this point a 7990, still no aftermarket 290x cards points to the possibility too that the black screen issue is not just a driver issue, unfortunately.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Here you go...official AMD reply. The AMD forums are not where the reps hang out ironically...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1436497/official-amd-r9-290x-290-owners-club/6500_20#post_21221230

16. swing848

swing848 Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Lightning
    By the way, when I mentioned troubleshooting computers I meant getting my hands on components, if necessary disassembly, use my eyes directly on the hardware, and using diagnostic tools among other things [sometimes I used the sense of smell, for example].

In any event I was not referring simply to, oh golly gee, something is wrong, I have to look it up on the internet because I have had no education or experience. Or, oh, gee whiz, the LAN or WAN is down, I need to go to the internet to figure it out.

The internet is important, however, over 99% of my diagnostics and answers did not come from the internet.

Again, please stop your condescending remarks, they do not help the OP.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It may feel strange to you, but it was in proper course till you started to oppose basically everyone. Took personal ownership for moderation of this thread and bravely led it down to place it is now.

And please, do not underestimate knowledge of OP or other members here by constantly stating things like: "I stopped here so you do not get overwhelmed by my almighty knowledge." It is really insulting for people who has much higher knowledge than you do. And it is as well insulting to people with limited knowledge.

Because people come for knowledge and they should not be told: "This is too much for you to take in."

I guess if we had told our views/ideas to OP we should stop here till he decides to, and asks for more information.

If you need to discus your achievements/greatness we have general section where I rarely go, where such topics belongs.
    It's well moderated. Thanks for understanding.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Listen Asswipe, why don't you take some of your own advice.

You came into this thread preaching God almighty, claiming we were spreading rumours and lies are were so arrogant about it, you didn't even have the decency to verify what we were saying.

Now tell me who is being condescending?
    A few "secrets" bet you think you're special don't you. ;) Ofc u have a reference 290 - there isn't any other kind.

Really? Well you can't be very good at your job then, because the internet is where we get the most up to date info.

How the hell do u think AMD is going to to fix this problem? Do u think they just run a bunch of random tests till something happens, without collecting some info first?
    Do you know how inefficient that is.... You have no idea do you because you're all talk.

They are going to look through all the relevant threads related to this issue and find out what the operating conditions were when these crashes occurred and what immediately preceded the event.
    Then they replicate the conditions and start testing, because that's what Engineers do, and that's what we did yesterday.

So piss off.

19. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
  20. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    hahaha best comment by 3dplayer rofl wahahahha :D oh geez.. XD :D (sorry for the banter :p)