Razer Synapse 2.0 Used For Always-On Data Mining

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by MiMiK, Nov 4, 2012.

1. MiMiK

MiMiK Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 7600GT
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1323093/razer-razer-synapse-2-0-used-for-always-on-data-mining

http://www.overclock.net/t/1319323/razer-synapse-2-0-software-mouse-unusable-if-you-dont-have-an-internet-connection-or-their-servers-are-down

Razer forces you to create an account with them before you can use the software with the mouse. You cant configure the mouse in any way until you make an account with them and activate your computer and account through their server [buttons, DPI, polling rate, set up macros and profiles] If they decide to take down their activation server for any reason, you will never be able to use the software. If you live somewhere without access to internet, you will not be able to activate and use the software. If you work somewhere that has a network behind firewalls, chances are even though you can download the Synapse software, the firewall may also block you from activating and using the software as well.

From the Razer Synapse TOS agreement:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1323093/razer-razer-synapse-2-0-used-for-always-on-data-mining

http://www.overclock.net/t/1319323/razer-synapse-2-0-software-mouse-unusable-if-you-dont-have-an-internet-connection-or-their-servers-are-down

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Razer is no worse than Facebook, Google, Youtube or any other company that sells your information.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I don't know Phaze, yeah those are worse, but mouse DRM?... still sounds bad.
    And really stupid.
    You know, to catch all those mouse pirates.

Can you use older drivers with these newer mice? I have a 3600dpi Deathadder from well before Synapse came out. I decided not to use it because I only used this mouse on this PC (the 'idea' of the program is to save settings for the mouse to the 'cloud' so it remembers for other PCs you use it on).
    But if it is true that on newer mice that you are required to use the software, then I wonder if you can use older drivers without the requirement. I guess obviously if it is a completely new razer mouse that wont be an option...

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. I wouldn't buy even a mouse pad from them :-/

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Death Adder is on it's way out, guess I'll be looking elsewhere for a replacement...

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    No. Even the older mice will be getting Synapse 2.0 sooner or later.

7. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Mice released before Synapse got released will work fine using the older driver. Though I advise backing up the exe files of those drivers while you can, atm you can still download "archived" drivers at razer support but they'll probably remove those sooner or later.

8. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Well that's Razer off the list.

9. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Every company collects this kind of data. The anonymous "usage habits" and whatnot.

The personally identifiable stuff is information YOU specially enter. E-mail and the like.

If you don't like Synapse, you really don't have to install it.

10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    My main issue with Synapse isn't that they fetch statistics and stuff, it's the fact that you can't even change your DPI while being offline and on top of that the DPI scaling is completely ****ed up unless you use the native DPI on the deathadder.

Not being able to configure your mouse offline... I mean come on seriously.

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I don't think you read anything. From what I understand is that you will NEED to install it. And as Corrupt pointed out, you will not be able to change settings for the mouse without Synapse connected to the internet. The post on overclock.net has the user complaining that he could not use his mouse drivers because the Synapse servers were overloaded.
    It's this stupid crap that you should be outraged about.

Besides, I understand that companies collect this information, it's how they go about it that matters. This is the wrong way.

12. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    The title of the thread is "Always-On Data Mining" not "I can't use my mouse because I'm not online"

13. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    But... dude cmon don't play dumb. The content of the post say more than the title.
    It was even bold for you.

I mean hell, even the link says it without even clicking it.
    http...razer-synapse-2-0-software-mouse-unusable-if-you-dont-have-an-internet-connection-or-their-servers-are-down

Maybe you are just skeptical. I am too, but if even half of this is true, then I'm glad I got my deathadder when I did.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    You only need the internet to initially set up your razer account. If you alreadly have an account, then Synapse 2.0 will work with or without it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  15. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    So that explains why I get regular spam from sites I'd never heard of before, like 'College Phuckbook,' for example and others along the same sort of lines.

16. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    They should just do that as many other companies, for example like Microsoft:

[ ] Join Customer Experience Program - [link]details[/link]

If you think you can help them and you want to do that - you click the checkbox. No controversy, nothing shoved in your throat.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  18. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    -chills with his mx518-

19. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Guess this will also apply to the Razer Nostromo Game Controller as well then? :(

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    See the post 2 above yours.