Grouptest: CPU cooler group review with 3770K

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 21, 2013.

1. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I believe that is the case! The SilverArrow has been replaced with the SilverArrow SB-E. There is also the 'overkill' one, and designed that way! The Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme.

The review only covers a handful of coolers. I would have been interested to see how the Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk edition would have gone, since that has got good reviews on some sites (and it's the one I have). There's no denying the Noctua is one of the best coolers available, but the results are a little surprising. The limiting factor in the ability for a cooler to cool is the weakest link. The weakest link in this case is the thermal interface between the actual chip and the integrated heat sink (IHS).

Now, is the temperature the core temperature or the temperature of the CPU? At the moment I'm doing encoding in a room that is mid to high 20's (celsius), the CPU temperature is 40C (remembering I am running at 4.4Ghz, 43x102.33). but the individual core temperatures are range between 55C and 64C depending on the core. Actually one core is going down to 50C or less at times, I guess that depends on the thread load on that core.

At the 4600Mhz, 1.3V load test, the CPU temps range between 72C and 96C. I would think if it were the CPU temps, the core temps would actually be significantly higher than that? What if, during the test, the cores hit their thermal maximum and throttling was invoked, does the test take that into account?

I suspect that for the NH-D14 that either throttling may have played a part, or the different CPU mounting pressure meant that the limitations of the interface between the actual core and IHS were slightly overcome. Otherwise, it would be a 'sucked in' to all the idiots who have gone for the inferior Corsair H100 water cooling. Higher temps, more noise, crapper! (just stirring here, I believe the H100 should have done better).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2013
  2. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Thanks, Hilbert. Loved to read this.

It's interesting the H100i performed worse than I expected. So I am going for air in my next build for now. I wished the Zalman CNPS 12X was in that list, but you tested that one not too long ago. It seems that the 3770K is another beast altogether. I wonder how it performed with that one, though.

3. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    4.8GHz/1.4v & 70C with 1350 rpm SP120 Quiet fans and I'm one happy idiot!

:moon:

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    5Ghz 50c w/ 1500 rpm nff12s :p

but still, no point in AIO solutions, its time to go all out on a real setup

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I was getting at the fact it should have done better than the Noctua :) Hopefully Haswell is once again soldered (if Intel spend the extra 5 cents a CPU). CPU cooler reviews seem to be trend based, in that a good cooler will trend well, bad cooler will trend badly, but within these trends are some sights saying one cooler is much better than another cooler that a different site says is better than the first. I think if the Noctua and the Corsair H100 were reseated and tested again, the results would be different, such is the nature of CPU reviews.

I could live with a CPU temp of 50C, mine got to that when I was encoding and the room got to 41C (hot day) when I was out, saw the temp when I got back, but the core temps were 70C which was borderline with what I was comfortable with. I can only imagine if the CPU temp, like in the reviews, was 70C the core temps must have been excessive and damaging over time (if thermal protections didn't kick in).

6. chilly willy

chilly willy Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    Hopefully you can get Sapphire's new cpu cooler in. it looks very good atleast if it cools like the one they put on their gpus that is. its also slimmer than most coolers i think so im curious how it performs.

7. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    I saw a big improvement when i put push pull on my h100i, wonder what the results would be if he tested it with that?!

8. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    Wasn't Scythe closing its doors? Newegg doesn't seem to have any of their products anymore either.

I'm still always on the lookout for the best performing single-bank coolers. Obviously dual-bank and closed-loop water coolers work the best, but they always have that premium price point.

It's getting worse and worse being an enthusiast in the U.S.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  9. D1RTYD1Z619

D1RTYD1Z619 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    How were these coolers choosen? If anything use neweggs top reviewed. I have a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 and it works great, I think that should have been in the review also.

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Scythe USA is closing their doors. And I couldn't agree more with your last statement. All the cool stuff is either in Europe or Asia. When I finally find a company that ships to the states, the price of shipping is usually more than the cost of the item i'm buying.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No mention of the new Vapor-X cooler from Sapphire?

Booooo [​IMG][​IMG]

12. maxio

maxio Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    No Phanteks PH-TC14PE, pity, that cooler is a beast, imho the best AIR cooler at the moment.

13. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Yes! Thank you for doing a pretty wide spectrum review. I'd love to see even more though if possible.

I'd love to see the Phanteks (like others have said), and maybe the Megahalems and silver arrow (just for kicks). I know they are kind of 'legacy' coolers, but it would be nice to see how they perform.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013