Windows Blue - Early Build Leaked.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Major Melchett, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Today an early build of Windows Blue was leaked, Build 9364 - a partner version that was originally compiled on March 15th shows some of the changes that will be coming.

These include.
    Video of it in action.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KAxXX0m-P_0#!

Screens.
    New larger tile.
    [​IMG]
    New smaller tile and UI menu.
    [​IMG]
    New snap to style.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]7

More info here.
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/24/4...creenshots-leak-smaller-live-tiles-options-ui

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  2. Major Melchett

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Honestly I was expecting a bit more (even this soon), I was expecting to at least more customisation on the tiles (mainly something like Oblytile options) and perhaps ever some sort of metro folder system already in it.

I really hope more (I'm pretty sure there will be) is added before release because, as much as I want bigger/smaller tiles - I'm just not that impressed at the moment.

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Well, they do have almost 2 entire years to improve. It's somewhat unreasonable to expect it to be anything other than 8 with some minor tweaks at this point.

4. Major Melchett

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    2 years?, I know some sites talk about Blue as though its Windows 9 and vice versa so there seems to be a lot of confusion regarding this. I'm pretty sure Windows Blue is going to be the update for Windows 8 this year, and Windows 9 is going to be a new OS next year.

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Is it going to be like a service pack or a paid upgrade?

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Still no boot to desktop?

7. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    next release is next year lets just call it windows 8 SE :) they are going to yearly updates like MAC OSX

8. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    They really are pushing the tiles interface i see. I have yet to see anybody from whom i know (family/friends) to actually like the interface. Hopefully there is enough redeeming features in Blue that can make people upgrade to it from Windows 7

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Windows Blue is Windows 8 SP1 under the guise of a new OS.

This is the assumption:
    2012: Windows 8 - Really Windows 6.2
    2013: Windows 8 'blue' - Really a service pack for 6.2, with a few minor changes to keep people 'interested'
    2014: Windows 9 - Really Windows 6.3 (or some other .x number)
    2015: Windows 9 colour? - really a service pack for Windows 9

Microsoft are using the conventional versioning system for the actual OS, with the namings changing to entice people. The actual 'base' for all Windows from Windows Vista to Windows 9 'colour' is the Vista '6.0' base. Even if they change the number for Windows 9, which is highly unlikely, this number will still be valid. Changing the number would cause issues with driver compatibility (unless new drivers are released), and would actually make no difference to the actual OS.

It has also been suggested that Windows 10 (2016) will see a proper new actual OS version, the numbering of which is currently unknown. They may go with 7.x, although to save confusion the version may be 10.x. This version will require new drivers, and may get rid of the desktop screen entirely. If this is the case, then the desktop will have to be provided through a Metro CrApp (oops App).

People have to be careful with Metro apps, they can download large amounts of information which can be costly if using wireless internet on a laptop. They can also take up an inordinate amount of disk space for what you actually get, in other words they aren't very efficient. I think if people looked at the size of their 'WindowsApps' folder under 'Program Files' folder (it's a system folder, so you need to change the option to see it), you will be shocked if you right click it and see how much space it takes up, especially if you consider what apps you actually have installed, how good they are, and how big they should actually be. You can effectively 'disable' Windows Apps and use the desktop like Windows 7, which I have done.

I also feel the touch oriented approach for desktop/laptops to be impractical, especially since it is only that way to encourage sales of Windows based phones and tablets. The ironic thing is, dislike for the desktop version will put people off the phones and tablets, but the UI actually suits them. Getting 'used' to an OS is different to actually finding it practical. Basically people say they 'got used to it', but that doesn't mean it is the most effective or efficient way of doing things. Like I said, they really need to overhaul the whole space etc efficiency of Windows Apps, at the moment Microsoft should actually be embarrassed by it! Since it is a new platform and system it should have greatly improved efficiency, not the other way around. This is reflective of other choices Microsoft have made recently, The 'white' theme of Office 2013 is absolutely appalling, changing it to the 'Dark grey' theme (it's an option if you know where to look) makes it tolerable, but it is still far from an attractive system. Of course, with Windows 8 we get very much uglier taskbar, dialogue boxes, program windows, windows 95 style tiles on the 'Start' screen (where you have the program icon on the green square tile, on the background), which is also present in the 'open-with' dialogue, among other bad stylings.

I am sure the style guys at Microsoft put forward the plans for the Office 2013 and Windows 8 on the first of April, and after it got approved they thought stuff it, saves us work!

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    ^ blah...blah...blah.... more bs....

11. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Deary me, thatguy again.

Moving on and I am welcoming the new updates as they bring some useful features, it will also be interesting to see what updates Blue will bring for Windows Phone.

WPCentral forums had this covered yesterday.

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Sorry, didn't know the love for Windows 8 was so great! All those people complaining about Windows 8 and the eye-straining UI of Office 2013 default theme mustn't know what they are talking about.

Change will only occur if enough people kick up a fuss about it. So far, it seems the majority of people are just happy enough to 'get used to it'. Also, most people don't know how much space WindowsApps actually take up for what the app actually does, it's definitely a step backwards. Good thing is people are unaware of blasé about this, I'm sure Microsoft love that fact. Disk space is cheap after all!

BTW, read on another forum that the only start menu replacement that works on Windows 8 Blue (and Microsoft may change it so it doesn't work) is Classicshell. Good thing people don't use it! (why should they, the Windows 8 UI is ideal, right?). I guess those few people who bought one of the other alternatives won't mind paying again for Windows 8 'blue' compatible version ;)

I do apologise for complaining about the UI of Windows 8 and Office 2013, being one of those very few people that actually dislikes the UI and inefficiencies introduced with Windows Apps. With all the love for the UI I know Microsoft aren't going to change it, so I guess all good!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013
  13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yay another crap os.. How about a windows 7 v2 or something, that would make a lot of sells. windows 8 cant even compared to vista in amount of sells

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    How much space do their modern UI apps occupy?

Start menu replacements have been disabled? If true I'm not surprised, I refused to keep 8 installed and use those programs for this reason. I will not be dependant on a 3rd party for something as vital as navigation. I would rather migrate to Linux mint and keep 7 as a gaming OS than play this cat and mouse game with MS.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yes, according to the info on another forum they have been, only Classicshell works. Whether this will require a simple compatibility fix or significant recoding for the other replacements I'm not sure, I guess we'll find that out with time.

I'm not sure exactly how much space the Windows Apps take up, because I have effectively disabled and removed them entirely. With a bit of setting up (settings, a couple of theme changes etc) you can make Windows 8 so it's not so bad, it's just the defaults that I have an issue with.

To see how much space Windows Apps take up:
    - navigate to C:\Program files and click on the view tab
    - click on 'options' --> 'view' tab, and deselect the option 'Hide Protected Operating System Files'
    - click on 'Hidden Items' (it's in the menu 'block' near the top right hand side)
    - there is a folder called "WindowsApps', this is where all the Windows Apps are stored
    - right click, and select properties. You will see how much space they take up. Also, check the file count!

You can navigate inside that folder and check the properties for each app and see how much space they take. If you consider the simplicity of some apps, the space taken does seem very excessive.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I don't have Win8 anymore so I can't see it for myself. I would appreciate a screenshot from someone who does though.

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Unfortunately I can't as I have removed them all, but for someone that does have Windows 8 with the base apps (maybe a couple of others) installed, it would be good!