Building a new rig, never had a soundcard, looking for advice

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by nedney, Mar 22, 2013.

1. nedney

nedney Member

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce GT 440
    Hey everyone.

Per threads here and here I'm going to start building my first new rig in 6 years, and the former of those threads convinced me to splurge for a soundcard. Now I haven't had a PC with a soundcard in it for at least a decade; I've always just gone with the onboard and not thought about it. But I have definitely gotten the feeling that my new Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers aren't doing all they could be doing for me, so I'm ready to commit to an add-in setup. However, I'm starting my knowledge base from basically scratch, so any advice anyone has to offer me is much appreciated.

Note, since some in those threads implied this could impact it: I want a small PC, if not strictly SFF then still less than half the size of a standard box.

2. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    If you are going ITX you may need an external one. If you get a M-ATX board something like the Xonar DG or DX depending on your budget may be a good choice.

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Anyone know anything about the new Creative Z series? They're getting high reviews on Newegg, for all that's worth.

4. Syidi

Syidi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780

5. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
  6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE