Voltage doesn't drop when idle if manually set for OCing MSI 6870 TFII

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by |XTerk-RS|, May 25, 2011.

1. |XTerk-RS|

|XTerk-RS| Active Member

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 6700XT
    Hi guys,
    Thanks beforehand for your help and thanks to Unwinder for his work on Afterburner (and EVGA Precision as I used before I got this MSI card).

After searching and reading here in guru3D and many other places, I haven't found a concrete answer for my "problem". I also read the interface tooltips and the AB readme before posting to make sure there was no known issue with MSI's 6870s.

Now the thing is:
    Before I started to change voltages for OCing I monitored the voltage to find out what the default value was. When I manually set the voltage I noticed it did not return to 0.945 when idling. It stayed to whatever value I set. However, when I reset the voltage to the default 1.174 that the slider shows -either manually or with the reset button-, voltage dropping on idle state would work again.

According to the interface tooltip info, the afterburned is designed to set the voltage only in performance (or 3D) mode. It doesn't say it modifies the 2D value too. That's what force constant voltage would do in such case, but I have not enabled it. Also, I am aware that the voltage control could misbehave on nonreference or bios-modifieded card models, but as far as I know this is not only a reference PCB board but also an MSI designed card which is supposed to work correctly (R6870 Twin Frozr II 920core/1050ram model to be exact).

Is this normal that the voltage does not return to 0.945 when idling after it has been modified with the voltage control slider? If not, is this an Afterburner or driver related problem?

And if it can't be helped, should I neglect it and be happy? (1.231 on 100/300 idle values) :confused:

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

That's absolutley normal for 6870 voltage regulator, it doesn't support 2D/3D voltage management in manual voltage override mode.

3. |XTerk-RS|

|XTerk-RS| Active Member

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 6700XT
    Thanks for your quick reply Unwinder, that's exactly what I wanted to know.