Alan Wake Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    While I would've loved to have played it on my PC, I'm glad I still got to play the game on my 360. It is an amazing game. Regardless of what rumors go around, who did what... who's responsible for what... doesn't matter.

Alan Wake is an amazing game, one of the best third person action/survival games in a long time. And I really hope it did well enough to bring on a sequel.

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    The boss in the DLC is pretty epic.

3. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I remember looking at screenshots of Alan wake in a PC magazine, ages ago now. It looked pretty stunning at the time. Shame that it will never be released on the PC.

4. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090
    I remember being so psyched about this game... And when I heard it would be xbox only... grrrrr, I didn't even hear about it being released a few months after:p

I still hate it... I can only imagine Remedy hating their own guts by signing their own deathwarrent for pc gaming...

5. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    i finished it on my 360, awesome game..impresive visuals but the best thing in this game is the story, i can only imagine how great this game would look if it was PC only as they first announced..

6. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Smart for MS. not the consumer, those are 2 different things. A single platform exclusive is very valuable to them selling to people who are choosing a console, which means more peripheral sales..etc. They have to try to keep up with the amount of Sony,Nintendo exclusives and Alan wake was an option for them that could lead to sequals and yet further future sales.

What are they gonna sell making it for PC? everyone already has Windows.

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Alan Wake.....there are so many good games coming out on the pc in 2011 that we dont need Alan Wake...who cares:)

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    hm must start playing again, ive never finished the DLC, think only played 30 mins or so.

9. Grim_2o0o

Grim_2o0o Guest

GPU:
    RX 570 Nitro +
    Once I've played Portal 2 I'll probably forget about all other games for a couple days! It's gonna be badass.

10. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i accepted that Alan Wake was cancelled, on the other hand if it was a boxing game (say Fight Night) that was cancelled because of microsoft i would've burned their headquarter to the ground.

yeah i'd kill for a boxing game for PC and no i'm not buying a console (although many times i was going to) but i will resist, can't let sony and m$ win :wanker:

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    lol, m$ already wins if you have their OS, heck they both win without you period. But why not buy a used one off ebay. Fightnight 4 was pretty good, haven't played lights out but looks fun with the Move after seeing vids.
    friend of mine got a PS3 on ebay for $100 shipped and rents games. i use gamefly, can't beat it really. that way you don't directly contribute to the developers or Ms/Sony.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I was playing the new Fight Night demo earlier, and its very very good lol.
    I have no choice when it comes to consoles, i have people over alot and fighting/sports games are all that gets played, the PC is horribly undersupported for those type of games unfortunately.

I think most of us already guessed it was a Microsoft decision with Alan Wake, the game was going overschedule, and they needed a new exclusive out.
    Unless people want Microsoft taking a cut from every PC game sold, then don't expect Microsoft to ever put the PC on the same level as the 360 when it comes to games.

I'm glad the game is linear now, as open world game have never been able to tell a proper story.
    I've heard about the sub HD res of the game, but since the game has 4xMSAA its less of an issue for me if it still looks good, the tearing though i will struggle to accept, how bad is it, as i was planning on playing it soon.

How many plot heavy survivial horror games games are coming out on the PC in 2011 though, good or bad, all im mostly seeing is a influx of FPS's with throw away stories.

13. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    How about the actual game! Microsoft are the publishers they get a cut of the profits from every game sold. Do you think that Crysis 2 would be at all hyped up like it is if it wasn't for the original Crysis. If Alan Wake was properly released as a technological juggernaut for PC, the interest would have carried over to the 360 version. It wasn't smart for MS. They needed to use the Windows platform to pretty much make the ideal version of the game and then use that version to advertise the 360 version. As it stands because Alan wake was dumbed down so much and lost all of the unique aspects of the game it sold pretty abysmal numbers and lost all it pulling power as an exclusive. Who cares if it is exclusive to the 360 when it isn't as good as rival games?

The whole project was mishandled. From both a business point of view for MS and from a product point of view for consumers. Everybody lost out except Sony who breathed a sigh of release that MS couldn't capitalise on a good opportunity.

14. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    no1 knows about alan wake nor its interested, i've never seen any1 here talk about that game... and most of my friends are consolers. They do know about crysis because of what it supossed on PC tho -_-.

Also they also get money if amd/nvidia pay for driver licenses (and a lot of gaming corps too), thus they need games on PC too.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Don't believe that myself, i believe it failed because its out of place on the 360, it's a genre that doesn't appeal to the majority of the guys who have a 360, who are mostly into fast paced action games, predominantly FPS's, and also because it went up against a little Rockstar game by the name of Red Dead Redemption.

Very few of the people i know like the look of Alan Wake, but that is nothing to do there being no PC version, think people are dreaming if they think console gamers care what happens on the PC.
    The complaints i heard were along the lines of, i don't like third person, looks too slow, or i don't do games unless there is Multiplayer.

The game was a huge success critically, but not financially.

Survival Horror is a dying genre, Resident Evil is now an action game and the Silent Hill games aren't what they used to be quality wise.
    Amnesisa was a great game, but lets be honest, even if that game appared on the PC with visuals from the new Unreal engine, it would still die a death if it was ported to the 360, and would barely sell at all.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yes but I remember the hype for Halo 1 when it was first announced as a Mac exclusive title and then Microsoft acquired Bungie and they were all set to make it for PC only. Then Microsoft had the nerve to port it over to Xbox and ruin what could of been a great game. Instead what we got was a decent alien shooter, with boring weapons, a weak as hell storyline that barley followed the lore, and a franchise that has had 6 iterations and the only one that was different is the crappy RTS game that begged to be a PC exclusive. All the others have been generic first person shooters, with slightly better graphics every time with the same boring gameplay. Walk forward, push a button, drop ship incoming, kill aliens, walkforward, jump into a buggy, drop ship incoming, kill aliens, rinse and repeat. The only thing Halo ever had going for it was its musical score, which was flippin epic.

17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Yes, Windows is their own platform, the only problem is that Windows is an open platform which is terrible for businesses because they can't force people who are a part of that platform from only buying their services. With closed platforms like the console, Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony can make a killing off just by forcing people to buy their games and services and they can regulate what games can be on their platform and what not.

You can't do that with an open platform like PC/Mac, there's no way to force people because people can just easily circumvent it or install something else offered by their rivals.

Case in point, Microsoft having to fight Valve to be the premier content distribution service on Windows. This is why Microsoft has been putting so much weight into consoles and basically just backporting its catalogues back to Windows just to keep their computer gamer install base happy that the game exists on their platform.

deltatux

18. SiriusTexra

SiriusTexra Member Guru

GPU:
    9800GT 512MB
    Making the game console destroyed it, just in a sense of place alone.

Who's talking about Alan Wake on a console? Made out to be a couch game, I find that a slander on the game itself. The game was meant to be looked at in it's detail and narrative. Instead, it was glanced at from afar by some button mashing monkey on a couch.

After some time of the game being released, I wonder if Remedy feel a sour taste in their mouth? Game was forgotten, because console people are disloyal these days, easily amused and incredibly low brow.

If it was done for PC, it'd have gone down as a cult classic, it'd be remembered, played.

No one cares about their game in the console crowd, just a year after it was released, after so long developing, and that's a dam shame.

Max Payne 2 sit's at the tippy top of my best games ever list.

Does it sit at the top of the console gamers, or Does Halo 2, CODBLOPS?

No sense of place, no sense of history. The newfags, anyway.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  19. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    was taking wayyy too long imo. hence it got axed at the sound of dx 11

20. The Michael

The Michael Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Very true.

Im a huge Max Payne fan (hence the avatar), and i was very hyped for Alan Wake.
    Its a damn shame they first let rockstar, and now microsoft control everything.
    Remedy was my fav developer at that time, now they are slowly dying.