Ubisoft: 'We want to improve our relationship with PC gamers'

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    TBH only thing i hate is the drm they implement. I don't really care if the game has best gfx or whatever as long as it's easy to use and gameplay is nice. Playing games only for gfx is just boring, i liked skyrim for what it is as with all tes games.
    But for example first crysis pretty as hell and boring as hell IMO.

I don't want stupid crap drm in everything ubi makes.

2. Quetzall

Quetzall Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Gtx 670OC SLI
    I remember Microsoft saying the same thing and did nothing.
    I hope that this statement could be a prelude to the death of consoles.

3. h0d

h0d Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Sea Hawk
    Yah, at least they care about our back for now on :p

4. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Fair enough. I assumed Skyrim had a good story and people enjoyed it for its gameplay, seemed that way from the few not-your-usual-schill reviews I've skimmed over. Fantasy games are not my cup of tea though, so I haven't played it.

I'm in your boat though, give me gameplay over graphics any day.

5. freeZ

freeZ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 PE
    To be fair, not all of it is devoted to graphics. A good portion is for actual gameplay... but they can only do so much. That game was the biggest let down for me in recent years. I still can't believe how lame the story was and how it had absolutely no substance to it... TES is getting worse and worse by each release... it's disheartening.

But hey, some of us gamers do enjoy the best of both worlds ya know ;). There's a reason why we have PCs and it isn't just to play console ports. I think BL2 was done right. At least us Nvidia users got to enjoy some of that PhysX action.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

People saying people prefer graphics over gameplay I think are missing the point. People want good gameplay, but much of the gameplay is already ruined because the game also has to cater for consoles and they try and keep the platforms similar.

Graphics wise, people want good graphics because quite frankly it sucks when the graphics aren't really much better than what you could find on a Xbox 360 or PS4 and takes an uber or uberish build to play it. Also, using post processing and other effects to improve crap graphics is just well, crap! All we are asking for is having good base graphics that these effects can then build upon.

The reason why people mod games like Crysis 2, Skyrim etc to look better is because you can, and despite all else you shouldn't need to!

It seems most of the problem is that when making games, the textures are made for Xbox 360/PS4, then what appears to be upsampled for PC resolution. Upsampling may remove some jaggies but also increases softness and blurring, and there isn't any new detail in the picture, only extrapolated detail as a result of the upsampling. The best way is to make high res textures to start with, then downsample for consoles! It would give a superior experience on PC, and would actually look better for consoles too.

Buying a PC and being stuck with console graphics is like buying a Ferrari or any other car of that stature, and then being constantly stuck in 15 km/hr traffic. It would really suck! Sure you have a fast car (computer) but you can't have fun playing it. The road could be a great road for having fun on (gameplay) if it weren't for the traffic.

It seems all those bitching about PC gamers complaining about graphics miss the very important fact that gameplay is not just about how the game is played, but the entire playing experience. Graphics do play a big role in this as it creates the sense of immersion.

If we wanted just the same gameplay without caring about graphics we'd all have consoles and be playing with Wolfenstein (original) style graphics.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Consoles aren't going anywhere anytime soon. They're easier and cheaper to develop games for than PC while also being more profitable.

8. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
  9. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    FC3 surprised me, alot of the complaints from FC2 were actually addressed.

10. nvgrim

nvgrim Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX 680 4Gb
    IMO, The thing about having good graphics is that it makes the game more immersible. Having photo realistic graphics in a game like skyrim helps you fell like you are actually there. I stopped playing skyrim half way through partly due to the dull graphics, after installing just graphics mods( i think mods that add items to the game or change models ie nude mods are stupid) i felt like i was playing a whole new game. But then you look at the other end of the spectrum with crysis 3. Beautiful game, but too me is just another generic fps. I think FC3 had a perfect balance between the two.

11. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    UBISOFT hmm havent trusted that name in years....

12. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    Your right mate, the problem is people have lowered their standards in games. We have gotton console ports for so long we just deal with it.

13. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Lmfao ni no kuni power

14. Quetzall

Quetzall Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Gtx 670OC SLI
    That's why the next gen consoles use a pc architecture? To be easier to develope games?
    I ask you to be better informed before posting this kind of replies.

15. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Drop the dystopian DRM system and PC gamers would naturally go back to Ubisoft. EA learned that lesson a few years ago, Ubisoft should take note.

deltatux

16. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    What DRM? It's no worse than steam.

17. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    My feelings towards Ubisoft and these statements would be similar to a crazy ex-girlfriend of mine.

I'm done with you, all is cool as long as I have nothing to do with you. Have a nice day.

18. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    I can't think of one title where their input is what I liked about it. Like the original Far Cry, that was Crytek.

I'd say they had something good with Prince of Persia, but they killed it with Assassins Creed. Rainbow Six: Vegas was alright when I first played it. That's about it.

Well, something is wrong when you purchase one of their games on Steam and they still make you create a "Uplay" account. So yeah, like EA, having ****ing 2 programs open to play a game is getting nuts.

19. Andrés

Andrés Guest

The stupid responses I got for opening tickets about the AC3 + DLC background music problem prove otherwise...

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Ubisoft have displayed time and time again that they are incompetent beyond all redemption. Everything that could be said has been said and they blatantly continued their idiocy ignoring all suggestions and advice. I will never purchase an Ubisoft product. This is all I have to say to them:

[​IMG]