Intel likely to figure a way to keep LGA design for CPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 22, 2012.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i dont have problem with that, seeing I always hated the fact pins are now on the Motherboard and not the CPU atlest when it was on the cpu bent pin were not as huge as an issue as they are on currently (pins the go in holes vs pin that have to touch back of cpu). Though I could see this as cost ineffective for diy when the motherboard dies or is faulty and need to pay for new motherboard and cpu instead of just a motherboard

2. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    The idea is that Intel embraces the concept of system on a chip even more to the point that motherboard and graphics card manufacturers aren't needed anymore. Everything that once was on the MB and on the graphics card will end up on the chip. So those guys would have no way to differentiate their products. As a customer you would only have the choices what Intel offers you. So, I can understand that both consumers and the industry don't like that route.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that wont happen anytime soon almost all integrated gpu on motherboard & cpu are all trash integrated gpu & dedicated gpu arnt even in the same category of performance. putting cpu and motherboard as one is realistic change not gpu.

4. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    One of the things MBs did was provide stable voltage. The new generation CPUs is less dependent on that, because Intel wants to move that part to the CPU. I.e., the CPU wants to have control over what it can power up or down and how it behaves, in order to shut down some parts of the CPU when not required. That will save energy for mobile devices, but it is less of an issue for the desktop CPUs we are using. And it will be one of the few things MB manufacturers were able to do. They could differentiate their products. Now those features are getting harder and harder.

Although we do see MB manufactures getting more creative, by expanding PCIe-lanes and adding high speed SATA3 ports (with the same speed as those provided by Intel). Didn't Asrock show an extreme MB during CES 2013 like that? It seems that it will be harder to differentiate, but it looks like they find a way. But it would be harder for some of them. And thus these will drop out. So Intel has to keep them alive. I think that's what the article means to say.

Also see this: Intel Haswell processor design may cause motherboard players to exit market.

The article linked by the OP was Intel's (indirect) reaction on articles like in the link above.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013