help! Computer wont turn on sometimes

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Dancinpuck, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Dancinpuck

Dancinpuck Active Member

GPU:
    evga 7800GTX/P2-N527-AX/256mb
    I've been recently having this problem with a computer I built over a year ago now. The computer specs are listed in my profile.

SO what happens is when i power the computer down and come back to turn it on after a while, say at least a couple hours later and I press the power button and the power "flashes on" for about a second then turns off. Not even enough time to post, literally a second.

If I then flip the toggle switch on the PSU "off" for about 10 seconds then flip it back on, wait ten more seconds, then press power again it does the same thing again. I've tried unplugging it all together then plugging it back in and the same the result.

The only way to get it to turn on is to keep repeating the steps with the toggle switch over and over until it EVENTUALLY starts. (After anywhere between 3 to 15 tries)

Any insight into what might be the problem piece would be nice. I'm thinking maybe either a wiring problem with the case or the PSU

thanks guys

forgot this wasnt listed:
    Case is an: Antec P160WF

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  2. morfeus02

morfeus02 Guest

GPU:
    GOOD
    had your same problem with the same dfi board

RMA'd it and got this one+ some ram

3. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    had the same problem twice ,but not with that board.
    with me it was bad wiring from the psu ( first time ) and second time it was overheating.

Try to reconnect the mobo to the psu firmly, and also try to make sure its well ventilated. If nothing works, as the man said, rma the mobo.

4. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    - check on temps
    - swap psu with an old one? or with a friend and find out what part it is
    - cool the pc better

5. Dancinpuck

Dancinpuck Active Member

GPU:
    thanks for your help guys, im gonna try a old PSU first to make sure thats not it. because I really dont want to have to RMA the mobo if i dont need to. Thats a lot of work id like to avoid if i can....hopefully

6. TiberiusJonez

TiberiusJonez Member

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB OCed 625/925(1850)
    90% chance its your PSU.

7. BaDmOfO

BaDmOfO Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 liquid
    Crazy thing is.. my antec 550 trupower2.0 did the same thing. It got to where I would have to flip the switch in the back after I powered down, let it sit for a good ten - fifteen minutes. It would then power up everytime. That worked for a month or two.... I'm sad to tell you, but your psu is dying.. it may live for a couple months more, or it may die tomorrow. I would strongly suggest replacing it asap.

8. Dancinpuck

Dancinpuck Active Member

GPU:
    thanks guys
    ive put in an RMA request for Antec and DFI so ill be shipping 'em out tomorrow

thanks again for the help