The truth about Catalyst 3.8... ???

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Monrad, Oct 24, 2003.

1. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    For those that are interested, here's a screenshot of UT2K3 on the 9800XT.
    This is the "bug" I'm speaking of. Look at the leg and foot of the statue. I've been making these UT2K3 comparisons loooooooooooooong before EliteBastards started.

1280X1024
    4X AA
    16X AF

[​IMG]

The bottom pic is a pic of UT2K3 on the 5900 FX Ultra. The detail is far better on the 5900FX Ultra.

1280X1024
    4X AA
    8X AF

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2003
  2. a k i

a k i Guest

the bug is bumpmaping as this image shows.... ok so the bumpmaping is off for the ati card someone patch the game before the world gets pissed loL

3. Drumphil

Drumphil Guest

GPU:
    Bitchin'fast!3D 2000
    I believe that is one of the textures that has the glitch where it doesn't use the high detail texture.. This isn't a filtering issue.

4. franco0

franco0 Guest

Hmmm,...
    i've been using 3.8 CATs for 2 weeks now, and i couldn't find any overheating issues yet. In fact, i couldn't notice any temp increase what-so-ever.
    Neither did my monitor blow up in my face... :rolleyes:
    What i do notice, is that 3.8 is the 1st driver that gives me the sharpness i missed in earlier versions. Finally the images are sharp and crispy, as they should be.
    I did lose ca 50 points in 3D Mark 2003, but i noticed no FPS drops in games. Au contraire, i found them to be more stable, and much less jumpin' up and down the FPS, wich results in more fluid game play.
    I like 'm, ATI (or who-ever makes these drivers) is definitly going in the right direction... although slowly... :cool:

A thing that annoyed me a bit, is that some ppl are complaining ATI not testing their drivers thorroghly, while themselfs they are screaming from the rooftops that the driver sucks... 2 hours after release.

Comon guys, u really think ATI will release drivers that fries systems and blows up monitors? Even Bill Gates doesn't go THAT far to sell some extra stuff... :eyebrows:

5. IronYuppie

IronYuppie Guest

It's people like you who give discussion forums a bad name. Only you, the enlightened master of technology can understand these issues, and anyone who dares disagree is a "noob." They're noobs, well you're a nob. I'm not a newbie, I've been building pc's for over 15 years, and I can definately say that 3.8 caused me some serious problems. Why, do you suppose all my problems went away miraculously THE SECOND I TOOK THE 3.8's OUT BITCH?

6. Drumphil

Drumphil Guest

GPU:
    Bitchin'fast!3D 2000
    cause they suck, thats why .. however, they don't kill monitors or fry cards.. im not going to stoop to your level and swear at you tho. get a clue..

for the record I build and repair pc's (desktops thru to servers, and workstation for many different tasks).. I do more networking stuff these days tho, including long distance wireless internet services.. I set up offices with computers and networks anywhere from 5 people through to hundreds.. Use to do a bit of programming, but I can code better on a c-64 than i can in c++ :p
    so don't assume people are noobs just because they happen to hold a point of view that you don't like.. Maybee you should try asking a few questions first if you have a problem with what I said rather than just insulting me.. And I'm the one giving forums a bad name??

Last edited: Nov 5, 2003
  7. IronYuppie

IronYuppie Guest

Sorry about the swearing.

I never called you a noob, I called you a nob. Sorry. I was pointing out the flaw in your posts where you express that it's only the noobs who are having these problems.

8. franco0

franco0 Guest

I am a noob, as i build just 2 PC's and ran into trouble both times. The 1st i had to change the PSU, an the second needed another mobo. My rigs runs great now, tho... it really doesn't take a genius to assemble a PC.
    And i still don't consider these driver "crap", as it improved my image quality by 100%, without loss of gameplay. The only progam, that gave me poorer results, was 3D Mark 2003 (i lost 50 points). Probably 'cause i'm a noob, but i never found anything usefull about those benchmark-tools. Drivers,wich gave me high scores in 3D Mark, often sucked in games, and visa versa. But i run them because everybody else does... and therefor helps me compare performances with other users.
    So if 3.8 sucks, can any1 tell me just what's the best driver for my card (Hercules 3D Prophet 9700 Pro) at this time? I ask this, because i jumped from 3.4 to 3.8, and the result was quite positive. Haven't tried the ones in between yet...
    thanx,

9. IronYuppie

IronYuppie Guest

I dont understand the 100% increase in image quality you said, that's not really true. Anyways, I'd recommend the 3.7's or 3.4's.

10. franco0

franco0 Guest

What i mean is, that the images were never sharp with the 3.4 CAT. They are razor-sharp with 3.8 CAT, tho...
    Sharp vs unsharp is considered a 100% improvement in my standards...
    Thanx for the advice, will try 3.7 CAT and see what happens. But not right away, as i'm happy with 3.8 CAT...
    thanx,