The GTX 1080-Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcemaN22

IcemaN22 Member Guru

GPU:
    Assus TUF 4090
    I've never touched that setting, so it is 100%,

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    There you go AMDbugbear. Easiest way to learn how to use the curve overclocking on msi afterburner :thumbup:

3. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Thanks alot but I fixed everything in the throttling dept.

Check out my 1080ti bios mod on this site, Everything is taken care of.

4. judi

judi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1050/4gb
    it will get more drop after they release 1080Ti

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    As each post requires more letters, here what I wanted to post:

?

6. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    U guys are ruining your GPU,s this way, anyway enjoy all your gtx 1080 ti.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Why's that? Because of the increased degradation they claimed for Pascal and above 1.1v? (Got to love posts with no clarification of what you actually mean :( )

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    How so?

9. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Off the reference 1080 TI, it's useless without a shunt mod. In the test 2 of Timespy, it would throttle to 1830Mhz due to 300W limit. Undervolting helps, but it's not enough. These cards are maxing around 133% power usage over 250W near 2088Mhz undervolted. No longer do I have that issue :)

10. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    LOL, If you want to make 100% sure that the card never ever throttles down, used an old game, 4k maxed out including aa, then use nvidia inspector enhance aa 32xS.

If it doesn't throttle down when using firestrike ultra, timespy, doesn't mean its 100% Solid it will not throttle down, despite 32xS is mainly for benchmark only, cause of its devastating/Tremendous Performance Drop and the amount of current/Heat,etc to the gpu's and the VRM'S!!!

The following AA bits will work for the most part:

Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing
    Diablo III
    Killing floor

I have xoc bios on both cards along with 2 psu's, Even with 32xS + 8XAA within the game, 4k, maxed out, @ 2025mhz, +750 on memory, NO THROTTLING DOWN AT ALL, NONE.

I would strongly advise anyone against it unless you have at least perhaps a 1600w/single rail psu and willing to take risks, my single rail seasonic 1200w gold gave up on both cards while doing the 32xS test, not the default firestrike ultra test, firestrike ultra is a complete baby compared to doing the 32xS, literally don't stand a chance, Shoot, I even made a video on the ultimate return of 3dmark 03 @ 4k Maxed out with enhance AA 32xS, It destroyed my 2 980ti Hybrids, Overclocked!!, A 14 year old program Literally destroyed 2 980ti's, That is ALOT. It is the ultimate IQ, and it is the ultimate bench testing(Depending on game) to really put the card to its knees and to make sure the card is really stable at the same time, Absolute brutal setting, Special care MUST be taken please, 8Xsgssaa + 8Xmsaa Or higher quality setting is nothing to be played around with, be absolutely prepared for your gpu's to run MUCH hotter with ALOT more current, Be absolutely Careful with these settings.

Firestrike Ultra(Default)settings, ran about mid 40 c on temps, now with my special program, Lost planet(1st) one, 4k(2400p) maxed out, +32xS enhance, Over 60c on the gpu's, and well over 60'c on the vrms, Clearly based on the monitoring graphs, it is without no doubt, the hottest temps I have ever seen while testing, Puts firestrike ultra to shame, but even if it was maxed out on settings, still wouldn't come close to 32xS, not even close.

Put it this way, If I have the gpu @ -50 w/32xS, about couple seconds into the performance test, the system will restart automatically, now even @ -170 on the gpu, its ALOT more stable but sooner or later it will give up, thats about in the low 1800's mhz range, now with the dual Psu Configuration, even at +50 on the gpu, and +750 mem(And memory can also make your gpu throttle down), the GPU's Never Throttle's down at all, Went through the test with perfect stability, 100% clean, no hiccups, no freeze, hangs, no nothing, and best of all, lol, no shunt mod needed, If anyone is looking to make sure your sli 1080ti NEVER throttles down WITHOUT doing the shunt mod, And Loves CRAZY CRAZY A$$ settings such as myself, THIS IS IT, fars I know, XOC BIOS And a very very strong psu or a dual psu configuration is the only Alternative that I am aware of at this time and the most safest, since the 2nd psu going to the 2nd gpu will feed the power that it needs.

LOL Shunt mod along with xoc bios, phew, Now, thats a different story, muahaha, probably someone has already done it, probably killed their gpu's and or psu. That is ALOT of current, ALOT!

Thought my 1080ti wasn't going to turn this way after bios modding, etc.

My last 2 980ti hybrids was never like this, these 1080ti, once bios modded, is a totally different world, Thought was going to be roughly the same ball park, NOPE.

I'll be working on some videos on my 980ti vs 1080 thread, so check that forum. I might be posting some videos later on today, be on the look out for it, Trying to get couple today.

Link to my other thread:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=414461

And oh, Madonion(Now known as Futuremark), FTW!!

UPDATE:

I only had Very Very slight Throttling, ONLY because of the temps, sometimes it will go throttle down when its over 49, others over 46c. It will go done a notch, if it stays within range, It will stay within that overclocked speed, and boy, over here, It is Humid like crazy, Even with AC blasted to 60f in the room, and a Stinkin' HUGE!! Face fan Blowing towards the gpu's, I also got another fan, a 140mm fan that I used on my last 2 980ti to help cool the vrm heatsinks, although the placement of the heatsink is not on the side anymore, I just leave it there and help cool the gpu's down, and still, hot as hell in here.

I might want to do some benches later on during the night where its cool, this is crazy.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017

11. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    That seems a bit excessive, I only care about the things that I run. 375W should be enough. My card can do 2.1Ghz+. I'm not seeing throttling, so I'm happy.

12. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok, My Bad, I am referring to 2 1080ti's, not one, there is a HUGE difference in the throttling dept. once you go to 1 gpu to 2, Tremendous difference.

13. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    So, my card actually does throttle in Test 2 of Timespy @ 2140Mhz 1.081v (haven't tried lower voltage) I saw power usage reach 149%which makes an overclocked 1080 Ti a 400W card :D

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/2095140

14. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Oh the settings I was talking to you all about, 32xS, forget to add, on top of that, 8xSGSSAA!!!

32xS = (2x2ss or aka 4Xogssaa + 8xMSAA)

So on top of that

8XSGSSAA!!. Just for clarification.

15. Mars73

Mars73 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080Ti
    Just wanted to say I'm part of the 1080Ti family. Happy!
    Running fine so far on a 450W PSU, tested a few games for a while and also heaven bench. (not planning on overclocking, otherwise I suspect the PSU will be running on his heels).

16. StarvinMarvinDK

StarvinMarvinDK Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4070Ti 12GB
  17. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Hi Guys :)

I have about £700 Uk to spend as i don't want to spend anymore than that really .
    I was thinking about a EVGA 1080Ti SC Black Edition GAMING ICX @ £709
    Would this be the best choice in this price range in the UK.

Do you think its worth hanging on to see what AMD Vega brings ? as my monitors supports freesync which would be a plus ,however with the rumours of 1080 like performance i dont see this as enough to drive a 1440p 144hz monitor ,and i would be better off with the 1080ti .

Cheers :)

18. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

At this point, I would just grab a 1080ti AIO(watercooled), but that would be me, I am Always yawwwwwwwwwwwwwning at the vega, I AM STILL WAITING for its release, its way overdue, especially at this time, I am Still YAWWWWWNING!!!

I have very high hopes for vega, however, If I were you, Instead of sitting there and waiting, waiting, and WAITING for vega, pickup an 1080ti hybrid, you won't be disappointed.

19. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Thanks for your advice ,but i think a AIO is just out of budget for me atm.

The only reason for me hanging on for Vega is the freesync , i've had my monitor a couple of years but still haven't used freesync yet :( awww only because AMD haven't had a GPU with capable performance to drive my monitor.

Been looking at the Gigabyte Aurora this afternoon and reviews looking good , i can get one for £727.99 from Scan Computers so might go for that over the EVGA Black as it looks like the Gigabyte has better load temperatures and higher boost clock .

20. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    your 2 980ti sli is still a beast, I would modify your bios, tweak the crap out of your card, granted, it wont be fast as a 1080ti, even if it was clock for clock, which I personally tested on my own time, gpu speed speaking, however, the 980ti is still one beastly card no doubt, however, if your going into the extremes of high settings and resolution such as my self, you will be needing the extra vram where the 980ti is lacking, therefore, If your going insanely high settings and resolution, I would personally go for the 1080ti, if your going to stick with the vram usage or under, I would stick with your 2 980ti sli, still performs very nicely, check out my thread I made here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=414461

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.