2017 Upgrade Path - What device are you upgrading to in 2017 ?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by chispy, Dec 22, 2016.

1. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    My Umidigi Z Pro has just been dispatched from Hong Kong. Should be as epic as a Huawei P9, for 1/3 of the price.

2. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    The name alone makes it an awesome device.

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Just upgraded from my windows phone 635 to a nice big 640xl, fantastic, bigger is indeed better. Lol
    My 635 was fine, worked flawlessly for the last 3 yeas until last month i decided to upgrade it's 8.1 OS to windows 10, once i did that it was doomed, some kind of bug meant that it went from days on one charge only 12 hours if i was lucky one charge, and that is with everything off, and i won't be upgrading the 640xl to W10, lessen lerned. Lol

4. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I just ordered a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (SD) Global Edition w/ Band 20, it should come in a few weeks.

My main concern is the 5.5" screen, I find my 4.8" Galaxy S3 about the limit of what I can use so I wanted a max of 5" but this was a good deal and was $40 cheaper than the 5" equivalent and has a few more advantages (like Band 20) so I took a gamble and I guess I'll sell if it doesn't work out.

Should be a good upgrade, I did have a Sony Xperia U (512mb ram) I got 5 years ago then after a year I got a Galaxy S3 (so 4 years old). The S3 struggled with 1GB ram, but it's battery got so bad I've gone back to the Xperia U, but I can't even browse the internet or use apps (or my Pebble smartwatch) as it has so little ram it'll randomly reboot so a new phone is definitely overdue.

The Note 4 should come from China in about 2 weeks, it was $150 for the 3GB Ram/32GB Storage Global Model with Band 20 for 4G.

[​IMG]

5. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Got myself a Le Max 2 from Tomtop.com. They have EU stock, took about 4 days to arrive. It cost me £168.

Spec : Snapdragon 820, 4gb ram, 64gb Storage. 1440p screen. 3000mah battery, quickcharge 3.0, CDLA headphones (they sound amazing) 21mp Camera with OIS.

Such a bargain. Still no official nougat which is a bummer but supposed to be coming. Currently using Pure Nexus rom with Blackscreen kernel. I get about 6hrs screen time which is almost double stock rom. Got a nice premium feel to it.

Nougat builds are still a bit buggy with the camera but it works. Pure Nexus has been the best rom I used on the device. Waiting for newer versions of Dirty Unicorns and Resurrection Remix for testing.

Miui has a one handed mode - you swipe across the navigation buttons and it resizes the screen to be much more suited to one hand if needed.
    I had the Redmi Note 3, it was a fantastic phone with a brilliant battery life. My girlfriends son dropped it down the toilet..... NOT WATERPROOF :p

You won't be disappointed with the phone.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    mi5 is ~ 144mm, try that if this 5.5 doesn't work out, I think 150mm will be a bit too much.

Im not a fan of these 5"+ phones either, my alpha is 4.7" and 132mm looks perfect.. new A3 2017 is around 135mm and not soo expensive either. Although snapdragon looks more powerful in base OS benchmarks, especially mi5

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6948&idPhone2=8531&idPhone3=8336

7. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    You can get a Zuk Z2 for about £140. It's quite compact, fits in the hand nicely and has a snap dragon 820, 4gb ram 64gb storage. Beast specs for the price. My mate got one today, great little phone.

8. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Thanks it arrived and it looked great, I already sold it though the day after it came haha, they released a 4GB/64GB version (I had 3GB/32GB) for just £20 more so as I keep phones for so long I ordered that as it's more futureproof. Also by the time I'd sold mine in the UK (for a bit more as they didn't need to wait), as long as I don't get hit with customs then the upgrade will cost me about £5 (so ~£125 all in). I'll look into the one handed mode as well, cheers. New one should be here in 7-10 days, looking forward to it!

Cheers, the Redmi Note 4 Global is a fair bit cheaper though, and better battery, size wise I'll see how I get on, was tempted by the Redmi 4 Prime (5"), but it's the same price and no global version, slightly worse camera, no backlit keys etc, so seemed like a daft choice. Also tbh I'm done with Samsung only updating flagships and Exynos chipsets with no support. I'm only going Qualcomm from now on.

I was really tempted by the Zuk Z2 but tbh I don't need the power and I saw mixed reviews about the battery life, where as the Note 4 (SD) is the 4th best phone for battery that GSMArena has ever tested, also no Band 20.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  9. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    I recently upgraded from the Note 4 to the LG G6. It makes me happy. I am just so tired of Samsung software and the G6 just seems so much more refined and sleek. Have a few complaints but nothing deal breaking by any means. Battery life is great, camera is awesome and its damn fast.

10. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I think I'm shooting for the OnePlus 5. I shattered the screen on my Nexus 6P a few months ago (still usable though). I'm not willing to shell out for a Pixel.

11. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    :pc1:
    Get a Le Pro 3 or a Mi 6.

12. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Fun fact. My Note 4 Internal RAM got corrupted somehow and its stuck in boot loop to recovery. No amount of ODIN flashing can fix it. So what did i do. I bought a Moto G5 (4GBRAM/64GB) as a temp storage and i ended up absolutely loving this phone. Now im wondering if i should be waiting for the note 8 or just get a newer Moto phone :X

13. Jdaisy

Jdaisy Guest

GPU:
    Dell Studio/ 8:00 GB
    Goodness gracious i am out of time! I ’ve had my Galaxy Note 3 for almost 4 years and it's finally slowing down, stops charging sometimes, etc. I will buy a new phone and want Android. I am thinking of holding out for either a OnePlus 5 or the Note 8. I don't somehow i just realised that i lost connection when it comes to phones.

14. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    wait and see what op5 specs features will be i realy like the design

15. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    S6 Active battery suddenly bulged(probs gonna explode) so i got an S7 Active. Best screen i own.

16. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    1+5 disapointment only downgrade man at least put one good camera and micro SD
    no point upgrade axon 7 128 GB

17. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    1+5 is super letdown, nothing is impressive, in fact the S8 kills it in all regards, and you can get it in a great discount, heck the One3T is much better value...

Still i would wait till mid September to buy latest generation phone, still no phone can presnet the value that the Mate 9 does.

18. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    :tux:My old s6 died suddenly in the weekend and i needed a new phone.
    I bought a moto g5 plus after reviewing what phones i could get hold of fast in nearby stores. (xt1685, 3gb ram, 32gb storage, the 4gb ram is not available here)
    Darn, this phone is great! It costs under half of what the top models are and i love it. The os is very clean, almost stock pixel. It do everything my old s6 did, just as fast and in some places better. (bluetooth works better).
    And it supports sd card (i really missed that) and have dual sim, all together in one small clip holder.
    Only thing i miss is inductive charging, but to be honest that only made the phone hot and used twice the time to charge.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  19. ROTOR

ROTOR Guest

GPU:
    16GB
    Used LG G5, insane camera, FM, Irda, and I can change battery, for me, the perfect smartphone

20. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    You forgot also that it has been proven and is well know than One plus 5 blatantly cheated their Antutu score!!!

For this reason never will I have any interest to even consider buying any of their products...