mass effect andromeda crossfire not enabling

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by fullban, Mar 16, 2017.

1. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    Just tried it on my dual 290x setup (8gb models). Whereas my 1080 SLI setup runs the game glass smooth @ 1080p and max settings, this setup becomes completely unplayable at the same settings. So freaking disappointed. Now, yes, a 1080 is considerably more powerful than a 290x, but we're talking from 60+fps with the 1080s to like a jerky 15fps with the 290x CF setup.

Cant believe I waited 2 weeks for this, sigh.

Edit: Ahhh, fixed it---apparently Temporal AA with CF is sooooo bad with this particular game that merely switching to FXAA makes the game go from COMPLETELY unplayable to near 1080 SLI levels (granted that setup is using TAA)

FO4 and Witcher 3 never had anywheres near this level of performance drop using TAA with CF, amazing.

Edit 2: Spoke too soon, while at times it can be glass smooth, as soon as you get in the Nomad its hitch-city. Sigh.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  2. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    CrossFire isn't perfect all the time. In Cutscenes the FPS drops everytime if the camera switches to a different character. It looks like the GPU's need to load new stuff evertime the camera switches.

The same thing happens if i go to the menu. After i leave the menu and go back to the game, stuff needs to be roaled again. You can see stuff changing around you will you are in the game. This causes a FPS drop. The FPS will return to normal, if everything is loaded.

The performance in the docking area is horrible. It's very choppy and scalling is really bad.

The performance on the tempest is even worst. Looking out the window into space nearly makes CrossFire useless. I only get 55/55 scaling max.

The FPS on the first two planets you visit seem to be stable though. If the performance is only bad in the docking area an on the tempest. I can life with that. It never dips below 30FPS.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The Witcher 3 has no TAA, right?

4. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    The game didn't have TAA. CD Projekt implement it's own AA method.

5. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    I'm not sure WHY it has to reload the textures---my 290x's have the exact same frame buffer room as my 1080s (8gb) which do not exhibit any of these issues, so there must be something screwy going on with the texture streaming algorithms when in CF mode. Kinda like how DA:I took years to load levels when you used Mantle.

As for witcher 3, based on my understanding, it uses a hybrid of FXAA and TAA, so I guess its not as pure an implementation as FO4, but even so, FO4 never exhibited this kind of performance dropoff using TAA instead of FXAA that Andromeda does. It had other issues with CF, such as texture flashing/corruption early in its life, but that existed in FXAA mode too.

6. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    "The game didn't have TAA. CD Projekt implement it's own AA method."

Based on what I've read it does use some temporal elements in its implementation of FXAA , so not pure TAA.

7. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    1. I got a 1070 mini from zotac because of the driver issues running 290/390 cards at all, and the fact CF would just black screen on alot of games, even ones with profiles...

2. 7.3.3 somehow caused one of 2 cards to start heating up like mad...and nothing fixes it..(only change was the driver...period...) the other cards 100% fine now that i re-flashed it to the bios i was using pre-heat issue... the card with heat issue, use to be within 2c of the card thats still working fine....now, it shoots to 64c within 2-3 min of starting ESO...and this flashed from stilts +25mv 1075/1375 bios to -25mv 1000/1250...ddu several times...re-gooped cooler...its just...fubar..

on the other hand....the 1070 runs very cool, gives me close to, if not superior performance in the games i have tested....and..thats using DSR at higher res then 3200x1800(true 4k instead...can go to 8k...and funny enough, some games are still quite playable...could never test that with drivers past..like...15.7...when cru was broken for good...)

i regret having to get a card now, i regret that i couldnt buy something from amd but...a fury wouldnt have been a good value compared to this card, wuold have both used alot more power and been up to 40% slower....and ran hotter...ewwww...

anyway....amd lost me gpu wise....this driver crap...with the last working driver for my cards being internally dated my bday last year....even if i had found a great buy...how could i give amd my money when they abandoned cards i bought brand new, just over 2 years ago....around 6 months ago now....using chips that are on cards they are still selling in stores right now.... that are also being ignored support wise....

i just...cannot support that...it angers me.....last nvidia card i personally owned for gaming, the bfg 8800gts Jeff sent me after my 3rd 8800gt cooked itself at stock...(even with fan locked at 100% and downclocked...) been thinking of putting it in here as a physx/cuda card...since its just sitting on a shelf :p

8. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 Amp
    For the past few months I thought AMD has actually been quite good with drivers. This 14.7.1 driver has been the first one for me in a while that has been complete crap.

Sidenote, the Fury Nitro was going for like 250 not to long ago, was easily the best value for performance on the market and with a 50% fan speed curve never go over 60C really. And at your resolutions no way the 1070 has a 40% lead on it, maybe 10%. I can only see a 40% lead at 1080p.

Nonetheless congrats on the 1070 lol.

9. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    look around, the 16.12 and up all do not work properly for alot of 290/390 owners, very buggy....try and set a fan curve or anything of that nature, vram gets stick at 150mhz....

and, at 260+tax, the fury nitro was the least expensive fury...the 1070 i got was 335+tax, with 5 year warr, the nitro said it had 2 like my 290x's.

and, "up to 40% faster" is how i thought i worded that...anyway, of whats on the market now, for the money i could afford, this was the best suited to my needs, no cf issues is a nice twist....getting higher min and max fps at higher res in eso is just a bonus, when cf worked properly with the game it was great but...meh...

anyway, google a bit, read the threads from drivers 16.12 and up, known issue, they dont list, and dont seem in a rush to fix...thats kept alot of us on the 16.11.5's, the last drivers that worked as intended...

the low power use/low heat produced is also quite nice...now its just my 9370 acting as a space heater :p (saving up for ryzen... this will help me wait a couple months beyond what i was planning...so more to spend when i grab my board/chip/ram :) )

and, yeah, thanks.....i really had planned at least a couple more years on the 290x crossfire... :/

and, im not to happy with sapphire...last exp dealing with their support....well....when they delay your rma request for 2 weeks, putting you just outside the warranty period...then tell you that you can pay to replace **** that broke/wore out under warranty....total bs....(i paid for the replacement fan set.)

but yeah...i really do hope they pull back togather and start giving proper support to older but still on the market gnc cards/chips....not just worrying about the latest chips they have on the market...

and hopefully vega is both low power use, and high perf...all that can do is drive prices down on current gen stuff....eventually...2nd 1070?

10. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 Amp
    Your right, I probably wouldn't have paid attention to the 290/390 owners because I had Fiji lol but hey just because I didn't have issues doesn't mean other people don't.

While I like my crossfire fury's (when they work) I would say stick to single GPU lol. SLI and Crossfire alike are going to be hit or miss per title and don't have a lot of support from dev's these days to make it worth while imo. My Fury's do best when benchmarking and not much else. Hell crossfire in Andromeda is **** right now lol (though I have heard some Nvidia guys have had better luck with SLI).

One of my Fury's is by Sapphire, I hope I don't have to deal with their support.

And I recently upgraded to Ryzen, and installing windows in Raid mode was a pain......a big pain.....mainly because I have single drives and raided drives but windows wont detect the drives not raided unless you put them in their own raid away....really silly if you ask me.

I have my m.2 which gets detected in either mode, two seagate drives striped together and a single PNY ssd for games. When I switch to raid mode for the seagate drives the pny isn't even seen by windows.....had to make the pny "raid ready" to use it. This is after the raid drivers failed to install twice lol.

But once it was all up and working, it has been working like a dream (minus OCing, it does take a bit more work than Intel chips to get RAM clocked correctly)

11. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Don not use CrossFire in this game. I repeat: don not use it. The performance and stuttering is so horrible that it drives me insane. Some areas seem to be fine and in the next area you are tweaking your settings again. It's time that AMD releases a powerfull single card, so i can get rid of sh*tfire. Nvidia isn't option for me, because of FreeSync.

12. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    The engine have excelent mgpu scaling. Problem is, the game is Nvidia sponsored, so it will take a while for the game to work properly with crossfire, it it ever do.
    Speaking in Nvidia sponsored games, Dishonored 2 that gained a demo, which I had the oportunity to try runs like crap with crossfire enabled.

13. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Battlefield 1 also didn't work well with CrossFire. The MP of Mass Effect seems to run pretty well at 4K, but only if i set lighting quality to low and disable TAA.

14. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    Yeah, I'd run without Crossfire, but my 290x(s) are getting long in the tooth, so to not have an ugly looking game, I pretty much have to use Crossfire for most things.

I agree---AMD needs to get Vega out soon, because I'm just about done with Crossfire. I've been fighting with it since the days of my single card/dual GPU 5970, and it really hasnt gotten better over the years.

15. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I'm playing at 1080p with almost everything maxed out (effects and vegetation are set to high) and by no means does the game look ugly. I don't have a stable 60FPS, but FreeSync is doing its job nicely (FreeSync range: 34 - 61).

16. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    I dont have freesync or gsync, so its vsync nightmares for me.

I really do want to upgrade from my old Dell S2409W, but so far the VN247h-p i bought is far inferior to even this ancient dell in dark scenes. Since everybody raves about how great it is, I'm kinda trigger shy on dumping $400+ on a solid new Gsync/Freesync monitor if I'm just going to go back to my Dell again.

17. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    For me it was totally worth it. No more Vsync stutter and smooth gameplay. Well, only if a game doesn't have frametime spikes.

The downside is of course that FreeSync only works with AMD cards. So i must wait for Vega to come out, before i can replace horrorfire. It's simply not worth it anymore to have two GPUs.

18. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    "For me it was totally worth it. No more Vsync stutter and smooth gameplay. "

I, too, am intrigued about getting rid of stupid double/triple buffer nonsense, its just that I'm concerned about buying another new monitor that i simply cannot get used to (like the ASUS VN247h-p i bought)