2017 Upgrade Path - What device are you upgrading to in 2017 ?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by chispy, Dec 22, 2016.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The Blackberry Priv runs Android....
    http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones/priv-by-blackberry/specifications.html

Android still isn't as secure as BBOS was though....even on the Priv

Blackberry phones will no longer be made by Blackberry....instead, TCL will be producing Blackberry branded phones.

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    That's crazy. I haven't had a blackberry since the Storm 2. What a pos that was lol.

3. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
  4. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    There will be phone with dual front speakers and flat screen in 2017?
    HTC 11 fingers crossed

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    looks a bit ugly..

EDIT: on 2nd thought, just saw its size spec and that looked good, 140mm with 5.7" display.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/exclusive_s...mpact_phones_with_huge_screens-news-22771.php

[​IMG]

meh I was set on new A3 2017, but now idk anymore, I saw its missing HDR and ios - image stabilization? that would be a real turn off..

might just stick with this alpha some more.. Although im starting to hate battery more and more, since i use the phone a lot lately.. and MM 6.0.1 is nowhere on the horizon, yet..

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    A lot must happen before I buy Samsung again. The original Samsung Galaxy S I had was pretty horrible experience and today it's pretty much unusable. If I upgrade this year it will either be new Nokia, OnePlus or Huawei/Honor. Though, my Honor 6 has aged very well and battery lasts for ~3 days in my use.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I get ~5:15 hrs OST from 100 to 1% at lollipop (use to be up to 6hrs by kitkat), but I want more :p

how much does your Honor6 have?

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Closer to 6 (usually, from 100% to 0%), Android M is just as good if not even better than KitKat. Lollipop was a meh release.

Oh yeah.... Another reason why Samsung sucks is their software support. They stopped updating almost instantly and the latest firmware had really nasty battery drain bug. Honor (Huawei) updated this all the way from KitKat to Marshmallow.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  10. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I've had everything. Every phone has a flaw. 2017...Apple needs to blow me away to keep me stuck on their crippled assed ios.

I currently have an iPhone 6S Plus 128GB. Battery goes up and down as I do the beta ios updates.

It's just too locked down for me, even jail broken. Too many old fun games that are now completely dead since moving to ios10 as well.

This supposed epic 10th year anniversary hardware need be epic to keep me.

That being said, it seems like phones are just stagnant from all vendors. Gaming isn't growing like I thought it would on the devices - nothing past the 32bit garbage. The basic apps are on phones from 5 years ago. Kind of not starting to see a use in upgrading.

I had the Galaxy S6, I'll never own a Samsung device again in my life. That Wizard UI is so clunky and slow. The crapware on those phones...the software updates especially through verizon...are basically non-existent.

Then I still have my daily backup. The One plus for Windows 10 Mobile. Dual front speakers, BEAUTIFUL interface, but ZERO APPS. So help me, if windows mobile had snapchat and a few other key apps I'm forced into needing with a girlfriend I'd sit on that phone until a surface phone hit.

Has Android cleaned up its OS or is it still adding onto the original kernel? That was a gripe I had with Android through kitkat. Within a month or two, the phone starts to get bogged down. That is one plus to the iphone, it's performance remains consistent for me, regardless to how much crap I install and uninstall.

I have my eye on the iPhone 8+ - if I jump to Android, I'd like to see what a few companies put out before I jump on anything.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Just got me a Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016) to replace my crappy old Galaxy Trend.

Must say a very good phone for the price if you don't need the fanciest features and most powerful hardware.

PS: got an update to Android Marshmallow too, no need to stick to Lollipop

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  12. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    I bought zte axon 7 128 gb tell me if there anything better now

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Things happened and I now have Honor 8 (it replaced my Honor 6 - it will replace my dad's broken Lumia 920 which was actually my phone).

First impression is that it feels rather nice in hand. I'm just about to power it up.

EDIT:
    I'll install nougat tomorrow...

Edit:
    Done. EMUI5 has some nice things now like app drawer. As a phone this feels great in hand and camera is nice too. Build quality is fantastic. Glass back makes this slippery.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  14. Quty

Quty Guest

GPU:
    GPU Radeon R7 250
    :giggle2::giggle2::giggle2:

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I quite like the battery life on Honor 8. Just got 7h 30 min SOT out of this and there were still 6 % left. That was without WLAN, only 4G data.

16. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    ^I had an Honor 5X and it had fantastic battery life.^ Partly due to their assistant constantly wanting to turn apps off. I had a love/hate affair with Huawei's EMUI. It never liked my smartwatch (No NFC). Lost it on a weekend trip.

Lately, I've been buying Motorola. Last year, I got my daughter her 1st phone, a Moto G (2nd gen) and it was a good, solid build. It reminded me of why I liked Motorola's devices in the flip phone era. I got my girlfriend a Moto X Pure(Style) and then got myself the same thing when I lost the Honor.

I really like how vanilla the android is on a Motorola phone. (non carrier versions) Much like getting a Nexus (or Pixel, I guess).

I just got my daughter a Moto Z Play which can add the MotoMods external, magnetic devices to the back. Camera, battery pack, projector, speaker, and more to come. The Motorola color customization is now done on the magnetic panels too. Wood, leather, whatever, can be easily swapped onto the back, which is glass when nothing is connected. The battery life is apparently phenomenal.

I love my "X" but after playing with her "Z" for a little bit, I kind of want one.

Phone:
    [​IMG]

MotoMods:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  17. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I was leaning towards getting the Samsung Galaxy S8 to replace my aging Galaxy S6 but i see the price increased towards $900 + :eek3: , will wait until it's out and see if it really is worth it.

18. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I'm getting the new Sony Xperia XZ Premium due to be released early June. Will be the best phone for 2017.

Will piss over Samsung Galaxy S8 in having a better screen, camera and stereo speakers.

19. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    S8 gonna be the best seller yet again, S7E was a great phone tbh but i don't see the S8 as an impressive omfg phone...

I bought Mate 9 to replace S7E, so far so good.

20. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -