GeForce GTX 465 SLI review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, May 31, 2010.

1. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Terrible card for a terrible price. If it was a lot cheaper it might be worth it but it uses too much power for the performance it offers, making it not worth it regardless.

2. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    This card only can shine in SLI, otherwise as expected, the perfs are between the 5830 and 5850... and closer of the 5830....

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  3. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    Fail card is a fail lol

4. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    This got a guru3d recommended?

WTF?!?

5. Darkasantion

Darkasantion Master Guru

GPU:
    Club 3D HD5870 1035/1325
    Well, in a way it's similair to the HD5830, looking at other reviews aswell, it's overpriced, uses more power than the model above it(GTX470 and the HD5850) and both are okayish, but not to be recommended.
    If you want a good ATi card, either get a HD5770 or a HD5850, as the HD5830 is overpriced for it's performance/power ratio :( .
    Same applies to the GTX465, it's overprices compared to the competition, uses to much power(more than the GTX470 according to quite a few other websites) and the performance is average at the very best. Either get a GTX285 or a GTX470, but can't see how the GTX465 managed to get recommended by Guru3D looking at those facts :)

6. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    I guess sli scalling and overclock was very important to the conclusion and so being a guru3d recommended product.

7. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    It's unfortunate that the 465...and to a lesser extent the 5830 are priced as they are. I think they fall at a performance level a lot of users would be happy with, but come in too high on the price. The 5830 isn't a bad card for instance, but I think most of us just feel something is off with it, and it's the price, you can't justify that performance at that price level...And the 465 has done that and multiplied it by 10. It basically a Nvidia version of a slightly overclocked 5830 at a 5850 price. It's silly.

It is clearly at fanboy pricing.

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Either give it a good review, or join Hardware Secrets ;)

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Okay chaps, let's breakdown some stuff.

BTW if I notice weird fanboy like stuff in this thread again, you'll be outta here -- I'm not warning any longer. The weird accusations continously come from people owning an ATI card. It works the other way around as well, quite frankly that is getting tiresome. This forum is for all - ATI/AMD/NVIDIA/INTEL. That gives these forums a certain edge I understand that, but always try and be fair. This is what i ask from you guys ok ?

Anyway GTX 465 - Fermi is not what it was supposed to be, no doubt about it. Comparing this product to 5830 makes a lot of sense, they both fall within the same performance range.

The GTX 465 is a recommended product because honestly, other then price .. this is a fine product. You'll play all your games really well, get great IQ. Perf wise this product is as fast or slightly faster than the R5830. Overclocking ability is quite grand, and SLI scaling with NVIDIA's product is really good, I mean 1.8~1.9x is what you see mostly.

TDP could be better sure, but it's like 10-15 watts away from that 5830. Heat levels are fine, noise levels are fine. The downside, the price - plain and simple, that has to be the biggest deal with this release.

Now when you weigh in all facts - is this really a bad product ? Nope, certainly not. It's not superb either, that's for sure. But it is a decent DX11 class gaming product. As such it is recommended. Now you can disagree on that, that's fine. But if you are saying that this product sucks or make weird accusations that we recommend it to gain favors ? No way.

10. Dictator93

Dictator93 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X

Thanks for saying that HIlbert. I was looking forward to this review actually. Could you perhaps tell us more about the BIOS switch to GTX470? I would love to know more.

11. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Doesn't unlock anything, if that's what you mean.

12. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Yeh. I think 6800LE was the last card which you were able to unluck by flashing the bios.

Good review and this is interesting card. Interesting to see how cheap that card will get when it hits the market. Sparkle, Zotac, etc... Been thinking about building back-up PC. Not atm, but perhaps after month or two price will drop a bit.

13. Darkasantion

Darkasantion Master Guru

GPU:
    Club 3D HD5870 1035/1325
    So it's recommended because it's scales very well in SLi and does overclock very well on stock Vcore(and maybe can be unlocked to a GTX470)
    Okay, good points to make it recommened even though the price is rather high(unless you can unlock it to a GTX470, then it's cheap :p )

But why doesn't the HD5830 get recommended then? Just asking, as it's a rather good overclocker aswell, from 800Mhz to 940Mhz, Crossfire nowadays scales rather good aswell and altough it's performing a little worse than the GTX465 it's also cheaper and uses less power overall, both in idle and in load. Or am I missing something important in this comparison?

Ooh and the fact I do actually own a ATi cards has nothing to do with my bias about ATi nor Nvidia, I did own a 7600GT and 6600GT from Nvidia, which were and are still very very good cards and I would love to see those cards back in a modern day incarnation. Also I would love to see Nvidia delivering good performing cards like ATi is doing atm, but sadly in this round Nvidia has misjudged and failed. But hopefully they can come back strong with Fermi 2 or what it's going to be called then :D

14. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    This is a very valid point, the 5830 didn't get recommended despite the main complaint being price.

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

I knew that one was going to get thrown in my face and bite me in the ass :nerd:

You know what, I think anyone will agree here, at the time the 5830 did not feel right price/perf wise (you are referring to the initial review). The difference from 5850 towards 5830 was to big as AMD cut away a lot alright. Here we had three brilliant products, 5870 / 5850 and do not forget the back then at sub-200 EUR 5770. So at that time, I think we all expected a little more from 5830.

Later on the 5830 from MSI did get the recommended award and an upcoming 5830 review from HIS will also be rewarded. Right now they sell at 210~220 EUR, which absolutely is a fair price.

16. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    The 5830 can be had at 164 GBP shipped.....the GTX 465 can be had at 246 shipped. Being "as fast or slightly faster than the R5830" is not nearly good enough to warrant an 82 pound price difference.

Also the 5830 overclocks well and crossfire scaling is great too... At the lower price it's a faaaar better buy than the 465...yet the 465 is recommended? :/

TDP maybe, but actual power consumption is nearly 100 watts more. anand review-->
    [​IMG]

In fact, you can easily see which company actually moved forward this generation by the above chart.

The 5850 uses 3 watts more than the 4890 yet gives what, another 30-50% performance?

The GTX 465 uses 2 watts less than the GTX 285 yet struggles to best the old generation 285.

17. -The_Mask-

-The_Mask- Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950 WindForce
    [​IMG]

Better one ;)

18. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    If the 465 can be unlocked to a 470 it'd be an amazing card and there will be demand for it, but I doubt it's possible as those shaders are defect. These chips aren't just cut down to save money, they're 470/480 binned chips (at least that's what I've come to understand from the Xbit and Anandtech articles).

The power consumption of nVidia's current offering is staggering. My room gets really hot with the airconditioning on when I run CPU and video card at 100%, I can't even begin to imagine what it'd be like with one of these 4xx's.

19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You know i'm getting tired of seeing the BFBC2 benchmarks, they are only tested with current gen cards, nothing else, and that's pointless, anyone who is looking to upgrade to these cards are looking to see how much it performs comparative to current gen cards AND their cards (at least last-gen, GT200/HD4000) otherwise they have absolutely no basis to go by

I still have no idea if going to ANY of these cards is worth going to in BFBC2 because i have nothing to compare it to

20. Darkasantion

Darkasantion Master Guru

GPU:
    Club 3D HD5870 1035/1325
    *Bites Hilbert again :p *
    I agree with you on that one, back then the Price/Performance of the HD5830 was not right compared to other cards(but it is now), but I find it a bit odd now that you don't "rate" the price differance so high as happened with the HD5830 review. Did we expect alot from the GTX465? Nah, given the performance of the GTX470/480 you couldn't expect a lot, but still I think recommended is a bit to much if you take into account that the GTX465 offers HD5830 performance+10%, yet should cost as much as a HD5850.

Ooh, just spotted your revised conclusion. I'll keep silent now, I can agree/live with that :D