FX-83** Owners club - Discussion & overclocking

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by hallryu, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well you'll be buying an aftermarket cooler whichever way you go, otherwise why get a K series.....? What games do you play?

Min fps will be like 50fps, that's not too bad since many gamers have a 60hz display anyway. Even with a Haswell E they'd get 60fps.

Seems a waste of horsepower and money imo. Do u have 120hz monitor?

2. Adi6293

Adi6293 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 480
    I always buy after market cooler, I like my PC run quiet :) I like Civilization V, Company of Heroes 1 and 2, I played BF3 and would like to play BF4. I used to play World of Tanks and sometimes play War Thunder. Over all I play mixture of games mainly RTS and RPG's tho and no I dont have 120hz monitor :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  3. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Ya, Pill knows his **** bud,I just got a 770 4GB to go with mine, and use my 660ti for physics, Im all good now. Wife said she'll kill me in my sleep if I upgrade again ..lol Guess I better get my fun in now. Anyhow if I had the extra cash to burn, sure Id go Intel why not. But I tell ya, it depends if you just wanna play games to? or have fun with clockin to? I have fun with being able to play with the overclockin too. Intel sounds very boring from what Ive read. I havent had an Intel since Pentium4.

4. Adi6293

Adi6293 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 480
    Isnt overcklocking Intel and AMD the same this days. Just change the multiplier and rise the voltage?? I'm having a baby on its way so I also need to watch my money, my girlfriend was already saying I should be getting a new PC but I can't live without one :p

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Lol...yeah overclocking isn't quite the same challenge it was 10-15yrs ago....

Overclockers prob aren't regarded by newbies as the superior beings they once were either. lol :p

Shame really. :D

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  6. Adi6293

Adi6293 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 480
    What do you think of this set up https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/-HlOmzWcLGH-bNmu46509A,, ?? :)

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    OK I looked at the list and have a couple of suggestions.....starting with the motherboard.

If you're on a tight budget, don't need SLI/CF and can live without Sabertooth's extra bells and whistles...but still want to overclock...then check out this board. High res pic.

The M5A97-EVO R2.0 Imho prob the best AM3+ board available for single GPU. And only 75 bucks from Scan. :nerd:

Btw I have the EVO rev1 and it has been running my X4 955 at 4.2Ghz for the last 3 years without a single hitch.

The $60 u saved could go towards a decent CPU cooler, which you will no doubt need. lol

[​IMG]

If multi GPU is a priority then the M5A99X is a cheaper alternative to Sabertooth at $100. It has 16/8/4 PCI slots vs 16/16/8/8 on 990FX.

8. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    sigh, a shame we have to say that now. It will be released but I am beginning to wonder if we'll only see it in an APU! If its a dedicated processor, who knows what socket it will be on. I am interested to see what kind of numbers Kaveri can put up though. At only four threads, that IPC better be a rockin :)

Well it depends on what else you want to use your PC for. Other than gaming, what do you do? If you're only looking for maximum FPS in games that don't multi-thread than Intel is still king. If not, and you want great overall performance and a CPU that can thread like a beast, get the AMD. Keep in mind though, multi-threading is the way of now and the future.

You don't have to spend $100 on cooling to overclock an FX high either, many users are hitting 4.5 on decent air cooling.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I heard a rumour AMD may skip SR and go straight to Excavator. Just a rumour. They aren't giving up the desktop CPU side of things though.

10. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ Interesting. If that does turn out to be the case, SR could just be something they use in the APU lineup while preparing to bust into the market with an Excavator powered desktop CPU later. Only time will tell I guess. I can say this though, if they want to stick to the desktop CPU game, time is not really on their side..

11. Adi6293

Adi6293 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 480
    I was looking into this motherboard just wasnt sure if a £75 motherboard would be any good to overclock a power hungry cpu like FX-8320, do you think I could max it out on that motherboard?? I'm thinking of getting Hydro H80i to cool down that cpu any thoughts on that?? :)

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Motherboard should be OK, 6+2 Digi+ vrm with heatsink. Not sure about H80i need to ask someone who has liquid cooling.

I'm using an older Cooler Master Hyper N620.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  13. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I doubt it will help, but fingers crossed I signed your petition bud.

14. MarkosDL

MarkosDL Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 6750XT Dual OC
    Got my new 8320 a few days ago and i am very satisfied so far (with the exeption of the stock cooler lol). I am planning on getting a better cooler for it soon and until then i will read around the thread for anything i can use in case i do decide to OC.

15. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Got my FX-8350 a few days ago and loving it. Some games and programs are snappier. I like it. Still using the stock cooler and I don't have any problems with it and it is pretty quiet (compared to my previous X6 1075T stock cooler, that thing was %$#%$ loud). :banana:

16. 4960X

4960X Guest

GPU:
    AMD 290X
    Not as bad as people make it out to be. They are great for gaming and can be overclocked quite high if you have a decent cooling. My brother has one and he's pushed it up to 4.8Ghz using a noctua NH-D14.

17. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    was wondering if anyone knows of where a guy can get a crosshair 5 F V for cheap.. As in cheap would be under 175 in the usa... Just spent a pretty penny on my 780ti and not really wanting to spend alot.. Gotta put the hault on spending till after our wedding.. lol. But for the right deal........

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If my 8350 is P95 stable but IBT fails pretty quickly, is that an IBT problem or an unstable OC?

19. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Unstable core can do it yes.

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ive given up on stress testing, I was P95 stable yesterday testing a low vCore for fun @ 4.8GHz / 1.46v

Soon as I ran the Physics test on 3DMark11 it crashed the machine

I knew that was a far too low vCore, but shows that P95 stable means nothing

Anyway I did some reading up on other people with my board and chip and some poor guys are having to use 1.5v+ to hit 4.5GHz, I set mine to 1.5v for 4.8GHz and scores in benchies have drastically improved from 1.49v - gonna up it a bit more later and see if my scores increase