GeForce GTX 280, Windows 98 and VMware

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by RaMDaY, Jan 18, 2009.

1. RaMDaY

RaMDaY Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    I'm trying to get a virtual machine up and running to play some of my older games in. I know there's no drivers for Windows 98 drivers for a GeForce GTX 280 so does anyone know if there's anything else I can do to get it running.

2. mumakil

mumakil Member

GPU:
    evga GeForce 9800 GTX
    It doesn't matter which GPU you have, VMWare emulates a DirectX 9 capable Video Card called "VMWare SVGA II", which right after a Windows 98 installation will be available by installing the 'VMWare tools' within Win98, which can be found on 'VMware Workstation's 'VM|Install VMWare tools' menu.

If it doesn't install the video driver immediately (it happened to me several times) you will need to force the 'unsupported device' on 'device manager' to find the driver which will be located under 'C:\Program Files\VMware\Vmware tools\drivers\video'. Thus, VMWare emulated system will use the emulated GPU through your GeForce; therefore, no Nvidia Card/drivers will be recognized into the virtual machine. I can't tell you if it's good enough for games because I never installed any 3D game on my Win 98 virtual machine so far...

P.S.: That's why if you install Vista or Win7 on a virtual machine, you will never get the 'Aero' feature working, unless you do a 'remote desktop' trick (google it to learn how).

Hope to have helped!

Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  3. RaMDaY

RaMDaY Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    I installed the VMWare tools and have VMWare SVGA II but when I go the DirectX diagnostics tools it say I have no Direct3D Acceleration available. I guess I'll have to install a game and see what's up.

4. mumakil

mumakil Member

GPU:
    evga GeForce 9800 GTX
    With Win 98 virtual machine powered off, check the display settings and enable Directx 9 acceleration. For me DirectDraw is accelerated, but Direct3D keeps giving me errors every time I test it and is disabled.

5. RaMDaY

RaMDaY Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    Pretty much the samething here. I tried to run some a few early 3D games . No go.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  6. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Virtual machines are not made for gaming purposes, so do not get youre hopes up. Maybe VMWare version 10 will have dx9 accelerated, if even then. You cant even get Aero working on Vista with vmware, that tells me how great the dx9 acceleration is?! :)

7. RaMDaY

RaMDaY Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    What does everyone suggest as being the best way to play early Windows games on modern hardware then? I'm guessing virtual machines with glide wrappers are not going to cut it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  8. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
  9. RaMDaY

RaMDaY Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    I'm trying to play old Windows games. Some of them run on glide and early version of Direct X. None of them are DOS games, An examples of a game I'm looking to run is "Die Hard Trilogy". When I set the compatibility to Windows 95/98 it gives me an error about not working with 64-bit architecture. Three Dirty Dwarves is another.

10. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009

11. pato

pato Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060TI
    Did you install directx9 at all?
    Windows 98 doesn't provide it out of the box ;)

12. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Buy a $20 dollar computer with Windows 98 preinstalled off Ebay.

13. mumakil

mumakil Member

GPU:
    evga GeForce 9800 GTX
    Yeah, that's the best idea so far! I'm glad I still have my 1998 Compaq Presario with Pentium II 500Mhz and a Riva TNT 32MB GPU, which runs very well every game of that long forgotten era...