Nvidia GeForce GT 750M

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Dustin24, May 6, 2013.

1. Dustin24

Dustin24 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GT 750M
    I recently purchased a Lenovo Y500 with Nvidia GeForce GT 750M graphics card (not the sli), i7, 16gb sshd, 1000gb hd, and im slightly confused. This is my first gaming computer of any kind and from the research I did before purchasing I expected better performance out of this laptop.The reviews i saw showed it capable of playing games like Crysis 3 on high settings, albeit with slight framerate issues, but my laptop can't even handle older games like Just Cause 2 or Arma II much above medium settings(it gets pretty hot while im playing these). I've also tried to find information about this card online all over the place and there seems to be very little information about it, even on sites where you can compare graphics cards its not listed and its not even available for purchase from the nvidia site. So you would anyone be able to tell me if theres something wrong with my laptop or am I just expecting too much out of it? and maybe me pushing it too hard is causing it to get hot? I don't want to say it's overheating, ( I have no idea how hot a laptop can get, or any way of measuring the temp.) but it feels pretty hot to the touch.

Thanks,

Dustin

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    GT750m is relatively new and still awaits some performance improvements. Nevertheless its around GTX660m or GTX650 (desktop) and it should push more than medium even on newer games. 1-2 years old games run fluently even on 1080p.

Did you monitor GPU usage, temp? How hot it gets? What drivers are you using?

3. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    It's not a fast card, but JC2 at least should run fluently.

Are you sure games are using GT 750M and not integrated Intel graphics? That's a pretty common issue. What resolution? Which GT 750M version? DDR3 or GDDR5?

4. Dustin24

Dustin24 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GT 750M
    I tried to download fraps, but apparently it doesn't work with windows 8. Just Cause 2 has a built in benchmark test so I set it to optimal display settings and used that. Also the nvidia card is GDDR5. I'm not sure how to track temperature or GPU. For some reason it won't let me take screenshots of the benchmark but it rarely made it above 30fps, 38 was the highest I saw it get to, dropped down around 17 when there were explosions on screen. If you could recommend a program for tracking frame rate, gpu, and temp. I'd give it another try. Also not sure how to tell if I'm using the graphics card or integrated graphics and the resolution is 1920x1080.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Download and install MSI afterburner and RTSS that comes with it. Run some games and monitor GPU usage and temperatures. Also monitor clocks so you can see if games are actually using your dGPU or iGPU.

6. Dustin24

Dustin24 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GT 750M
    Here are some screen shots I took after playing Just Cause 2 for about 10 minutes. I'm not sure what you mean by checking the clock to see whether im using dGPU or iGPU. I also didn't see anything about RTSS when i was downloading afterburner. I notice a lot of texture popping when I was in the helicopter.

Alright I feel really stupid how do I insert images into my post? Only thing I can find is for urls.

7. Dustin24

Dustin24 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GT 750M
    Alright I'm not allowed to post images according to my posting rules so I guess I'll just tell you the info for each picture

Image 1: Flying a helicopter over some trees
    FPS:27.5
    GPU:97%
    Temp.:69C

Image 2: shooting some guy in a compound
    FPS:28.0
    GPU:96%
    Temp.:71C

Image 3: Grappling to a building
    FPS:26.6
    GPU:96%
    Temp.:71C

again this is all on highest settings after about 10 min. of gameplay

8. EvilM

EvilM Guest

GPU:
    XFX 280
    try putting your power on high performance. it maybe use intel gpu instead of nvidia. I have read somewhere, that when not gaming it switches to intel gpu, and don't switch to nvidia.

9. Dustin24

Dustin24 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GT 750M
    Tried putting it on high performance and got the same results. I looked through the BIOS and nvidia control panel for anything about toggling between the integrated card and the nvidia one, but didn't have any luck with that either.

10. JEskandari

JEskandari Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 (95w)
    first instead of the junk lenovo ships with laptop and call it driver , download the latest driver from nVIDIA and install it or better go to laptopvideo2go and get the lates driver that they moded for laptops and install that. then go to nVIDIA control panel then go to manage 3d setting then go to program setting then choose your game

(if it's not in the list click on add and then select the game file be careful to select the actual game file for example for masseffect 2 there is a MassEffect2Launcher.exe in base directory of your game but the actual game file is masseffect2.exe in binary sub-directory)

then from the drop-down menu under it select High performance NVIDIA processor then select apply .
    now run the game and see what happen

I have a Lenvo y580 that come with GTX660m , your GPU is better than mine and my GPU do a lot better than what you say you get from yours

Last edited: May 10, 2013

11. Dustin24

Dustin24 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GT 750M
    according to the nvidia site I have the latest drivers, ive been messing with overclocking lately, but hasn't made much of a difference. I'm able to run crysis 2 on very high, but if i put more than one or two of the setting up to extreme there's a good chance I'll dip below 30fps, and ultra is completely out of the question.

12. oroborus

oroborus New Member

GPU:
    gainward,gtx275,896mb,gs
    i have a y580 with a gtx 660m like the other poster, but i am getting the same performance as you. which suggests to me that this as good as it gets and mine gets hot to, the few 3dmark vantage scores i have seen are only as good as the old desktop gtx 260 card so i would not expect to turn up settings to high in demanding games.
    hope this helps

13. cjheadbanger

cjheadbanger Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT750M
    750m

I have the same exact laptop down to the 16gb ssd and it works great. Can run crysis 3 and Tombraider on high settings. In my case, Star trek online maxed out with all the extras all the way up too. If you need more power you could get the ultrabay sli ( http://lnv.gy/14C4uP8 ). I know I want it, once it goes on sale a bit.

14. 13ak

13ak Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT750 M GDDR5
    Lenovo Y500

Hi,

In context of your issue whilst gaming on the Y500, here are a few pointers:

1. Update your graphics driver to the latest using the 'nVidia geforce experience'

2. Set your default graphics driver to the GT 750M using the nVidia control panel

3. Use a good cooling pad for your system, I highly recommend the CM Storm SF-19 or the SF-15.

4. Update to DX-11

5. Use the software 'driver booster' to keep all your drivers up to date.

PS: I own the y500, albeit with a higher config than the one you quoted, but the gaming experience is fantastic.

15. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund Master Guru

GPU:
    8600/8700M Series
    Its obvious where the problem lies. His resolution. 1080p is too much to handle for the card even in older games. Set resolution to 1366x768 and you can play with nice fps on med-high settings.

By the way, JC2 is still a pretty demanding open world game.

16. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    This thread is a year old. :3eyes: