Dead Island Stuttering.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Mr Terry Turnip, Jan 4, 2013.

1. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    This game used to run well before, after applying the keyboard stroke fix.

However, ever since the Dead Island 'Riptide - preperation update' (there was an update for the original Dead Island when Riptide was released), the game just graphically stutters for me, my brother (who has almost the same system as I do) and a good friend (with an Intel i5, nVidia 560 something). Nothing we can do on our ends helps with the problem, but we used to play together before that update just fine at 60fps/60Hz without v-sync (v-sync never worked properly for us with this game). Now it's stutter, stutter, stutter.

V-sync, fps-caps, keyboard fixes, they all won't help.

Have you guys played it lately, or are you speaking from past experience? 'Cause the three of us can't seem to fix it, the game is essentially broken at the moment. We paid full price and haven't even finished it yet :(

Oh well. Let me know if you guys can get it to run well, not from memory but from recent and actual tests.

I wanted to buy Riptide, but I don't think I will - it probably has the same issues.

Played Gunslinger though, same engine (Chrome from Techland), but those developers fixed the keyboard stroke issue right away and Gunslinger also doesn't have those stutter problems. The developers of Dead Island still have not fixed the keyboard issue.

2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I only bought them in this summer sale, so only had the games a few days, and fixed the stutter via the helpers, so both are fine now.

3. CrunchyBiscuit

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    Thanks for verifying, I will try it out again next week.

Really hoping the helper tool works :) No other zombie game offered such satisfying melee combat.

4. CrunchyBiscuit

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    Tried it again, spent more than a day trying out various things, used every setting in the helper, RadeonPro, tried running it on less cores, triple buffering on/off, with/without v-sync, tried using Dxtory fps cap instead of the RP one, played around with various internal timers, set it to borderless fullscreen instead of regular, tried playing it on 50 Hz, 59Hz, 60Hz, 64Hz & 75Hz, tried out Catalysts 8.97beta, 13.4, 13,8beta2, 13.12, 14.4 and 14.6beta, tried increasing/decreasing mouse polling rate, tried the old FPS_Limiter tool, tried running it in compatibility modes and via DisplayChanger, tried some custom *.dll files people suggested, tried running without Steam using a crack, enabling/disabling my second monitor, I dunno what else.

Flawless, silky smooth 60fps/60Hz with v-sync enabled isn't gonna happen, not for me at least.

Despite super high frame rates and no load pauses, the graphics just stutter, both while walking and when moving the mouse, but not in sync (mouse stutter is different from the walk stutter). I can tell the keyboard stroke thing works though, because it's even worse without the fix.

Used to be able to play fine before. I give up.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014

5. crz

crz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    Played both games on my previous card (7970), like others have said, I also remember that it was a mess with v-sync on despite running at over 100 FPS with v-sync off. With it on the game stuttered like hell.

I also recommend the Dead Island Helper tools (there is one for each game), those in combination with v-sync off made the gameplay much smoother. Had no more issues after this and I finished both games.

6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Gave these a try on my new 144Hz monitor, run like a dream, can only set the Hz option in game to 100, so im locked at 100fps, still, i can easily play em at that :D

7. CrunchyBiscuit

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    Thanks for the advice.

I have already given up, I think your standards are just different from mine.

You guys are getting 100% silky smooth performance like in Rage? No stutters, no skips, super fluid framerates? With v-Sync enabled ('cause no v-sync is just horrid)? I just can't do it.

Just moving the mouse is jerky, no matter what refreshrate I'm at or what framerate I'm getting (game performs super good, getting around 100 fps even in hectic scenes).

I can get it to run well without v-sync though, but I find that totally intolerable.

Just asked my buddy on the Intel and nVidia to try out the game again, it's still the same for him too. My brother won't try the game anymore, he's written it off as a pos.

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I do get a slight stutter when im looking around while walking at the same time, but its hardly noticeable now im on a 144hz monitor, i only really notice it when i first start playing the game, but not long after i start, i just forget its there, and don't notice it, ive also got v-sync on as well.

I also found i can up the refresh to 120 in the helper. :p

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  9. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    is forcing vsync with d3doverrider smooth? (game option should be set to disabled)

10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    No its the same, just tried it.