Custom 690's?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by BarryB, May 4, 2012.

1. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Someone started a thread about Custom 680's so might as well have one about Custom 690's :banana:

Hope they OC the memory as well as the GPU, all the custom 680's seem to only tweak the GPU? Sorely tempted by one of these as my 750w PSU is purring at me in anticipation, but it's going to have to wait a bit just to see if any announcements are made about a custom 690 :)

2. Sanyo

Sanyo Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus gtx 580 DUII
    Nvidia has restricted what their GPU partners (EVGA,ASUS,Giga etc) can do to the 690, so you might have to plumb for the reference card.

3. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    Custom 690 because of an overclock is really a minor issue.

The major issue is the lack of VRAM per GPU.

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Its not that much of an issue for me,unless your gaming with multi monitors or using a HUGE amount of AA then 2gb per gpu is fine.

A 4gb gpu maybe released in the near future but believe me you will pay ALOT for it especially here in the uk.

My 690 cost around $1400!!

5. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Might as well wait unil (if) the price drops a bit then.

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Even if the 4gb ones do come out and i feel like upgrading i will use the EVGA step up program to attain one.

7. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    I only game on 1 monitor at 1920x1200 so 4GB is pointless for me, I don't have enough deskspace for 2 x 24" monitors anyway. Sometimes I wish I had more money than sense :(

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The 690 isn't available for step up although maybe going from a 690->690 is. Plus they also said that they have no plans of doing a 4gb 690.

http://www.evga.com/forums/fb.ashx?m=1579903

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Thanks for posting.
    Taken from that thread......

People need to stop asking EVGA if they are going to be putting out non-reference/4GB/Classified versions of the GTX 690.

They're not.

Nvidia is blocking all partners from making changes to the GTX 690's reference design, for the foreseeable future. I'm sure that this is probably part of the agreement between NVIDIA and EVGA to distribute the 690s in the first place, as only they and ASUS are the ones distributing 690s in North America.

Considering how hard it is to find a GTX 690, you can expect that if there's ever enough stock to where EVGA could make a Classified or 4GB version, it won't be for like 6 months. And even then, highly doubtful. They didn't even release a GTX 590 with better/more power phases and actual OC ability.

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I'm sure asus will have a two thuosand dollar "pluto" 690 card out in 5months

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The thing is i dont know what they can do tbh apart from more memory as this 690 is basically what they did with the Mars II.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They could use higher quality memory at significantly higher core clock/memory speeds with an even more insane cooler. Plus custom voltage control and stuff, 3000 phase pwm or some**** other **** to warrant adding $50000000 to the cost.

13. Sanyo

Sanyo Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus gtx 580 DUII
    Do ppl not read the replies???

NVIDIA HAS RESTRICTED GPU PARTNERS FROM MODDING THE 690!!!

No custom coolers, No custom RAM...nothing!!
    You will get some factory OC'd units being sold...thats it!!

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Err ok...thanks for popping in:thumbup:

15. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Ok, seeing as you know more than anyone else what's the reason for Nvidia restricting the 690 mods? Can't the cards take extra OC, flaky VRM's? A design flaw? Come on tell us!!

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    He doesn't know more than anyone else, it was posted by an EVGA employee over on their forums. It's also been stated in a few reviews, the reason why is unknown. It's probably because Nvidia wants the card to maintain a degree of "luxury" and not have these companies paste their ****ty logos all over it.

17. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Seriously, nvidia are loosing out on this restriction unless they are testing the demand for the 690? Or, they have Maxwell cards just around the corner to trump AMD :)

18. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Don't think we'll be seeing maxwell for at least another year :p if not two.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's a $1000 card, how many people here are actually getting them? I think I've seen two or three people.

And Maxwell is at least 2 years out, it was scheduled for a 2013 release, and Nvidia is about one year behind their schedule. It takes nearly 4 years to design and develop a GPU.

20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Yeah, it's a marketing decision with company image in mind.

And I can see why Nvidia doesn't want AIBs $#@ing all over this beauty with their monstrosities.