Black screenshots in Sleeping Dogs, any solution?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Pey, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Does it? I know it has a Framerate Limiter but I wasn't aware that it also had a Framerate Target as well.

2. Xanvast

Xanvast Guest

GPU:
    Titan X P 3 Way SLI
  3. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I thought they were the same thing. What does this Framerate Target do ?

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Frame Limiter restricts the framerate to whatever you set it to, whether 40, 45, 59 or 60 fps. Frame Target allows you to specify a framerate that the card will then overclock or underclock itself, as needed, in order to achieve as much as possible. This is not the same thing as the Limiter because all that does it cap the framerate; what the Target does is try to keep the framerate at the number you specify by adjusting clock speeds.

That is my understanding of them anyway.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    OK so my profile shows those same values. How do you fix the screenshot issue then without breaking SLI?

6. Xanvast

Xanvast Guest

GPU:
    Titan X P 3 Way SLI
    Just choose another setting like 0x00000020 (Crysis, Windows System Assessment Tool, ArmA 3, Crysis: Warhead, Nexuiz) and set 0x080116F5 (Battlefield 3, Medal of Honor: Warfighter) as SLI compatibility bits as you did before ;)

7. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Interesting but they sound same to me.
    With Kepler cards' GPU Boost, GPUs downclock and overclock when needed to achieve the set number in Frame Rate Limit.

Are you saying that EVGA Precision X has those two separate features ? (Frame Rate Limit as well as Frame Rate Target)

If not, (if EVGA Precision X only has Frame Rate Target), they should actually be the same thing but just different names.

8. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Xanvast,

I understand changing the SLI compatibility bits. But what else should I make a change in NV Inspector ? The "0x00000008" in undefined section of SleepingDog's profile within NV Inspector ?
    Can you clarify ?

9. Xanvast

Xanvast Guest

GPU:
    Titan X P 3 Way SLI
    Yes that's the line highlighted on the screenshot there's no reason to doubt :)

10. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Ok. Cheers for that. I'll give it a go later.
    Just out of curiosity, is there a performance difference between 0x080116F5 (BF3 SLI bit) and default SLI bit for SleepingDogs ?
    I ask because Nvidia, very recently, made some performance improvements in their drivers and whether this would be affected with changing SLI bits ?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Set Framerate Limiter to 60 and the game will run at anything between 0 and 60 fps since it is capped at 60 fps.

Set Framerate Target to 60 and the game will try to run always at 60 fps by overclocking when needed.

They are different. The Target option is designed to maintain a smoother consistent framerate whereas the Limiter doesn't, it just makes sure the game doesn't go over a specified framerate.

I cannot see Framerate Target in Afterburner but EVGA Precision X has that plus a separate Framerate Limiter option too. If they were the same then there wouldn't be two options. ;)

EVGA Precision X's screenshots still come out black for me too like Afterburner, which I expected anyway given that they share the same code and developer.

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    OK, thanks.

What is that flag though (0x00A06746) that was originally set to 0x00000008? Obviously it prevented the screenshots but I'm sure that wasn't its purpose.

I presume we couldn't take screenshots in Red Faction Armageddon either due to it using the same flag?

13. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Not sure why you're quoting only part of my post. But I already said.. "With Kepler cards' GPU Boost, GPUs downclock and overclock when needed to achieve the set number in Frame Rate Limit."

Interesting, indeed. I wonder what the difference is really.

This reminds of Borderlands 2. The game had "Capped 60 fps" as well as "Smoothed 22-62 fps" option.
    What it does is try to maintain your frame rate between 22-62, automatically adjusting the engine (graphics, effects, draw distance, etc) on-the-fly, to try to maintain this frame rate in parts where your PC starts to drop the frame rate below the minimum (22fps).

However, 3rd party app like Precision doesn't have access to game engine. It makes me wonder if "Frame Rate Target" overclocks memory as well ?

14. Xanvast

Xanvast Guest

GPU:
    Titan X P 3 Way SLI
    I have no idea what is this flag's purpose :D
    And yes RFA has the same screenshot problem in SLI

15. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Xanvast,

thanks for the tip! It works. :D

Here's an interesting one I've found.
    The default SLI compatibility bit for Sleeping Dog is 0x080010F5 (Sleeping Dogs). You do not have to change this default SLI bits to 0x080116F5 (Battlefield 3, Medal of Honor: Warfighter).
    The default SLI compatibility bit 0x080010F5 (Sleeping Dogs) works fine for taking screenshots. (No more black screenshot). As long as the following highlighted section of NV Inspector is changed as per your suggestion. See picture below.

[​IMG]

Now, is your suggested 0x080116F5 (Battlefield 3, Medal of Honor: Warfighter) SLI bits supposed to perform better than the default 0x080010F5 (Sleeping Dogs) ?

16. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Thanks to Xanvast and Darren Hodgson.
    Taking screenshots works great in Sleeping Dogs now. :D
    Here're a few screenshots I took. http://min.us/mrcZsOZs3tXCK

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well, I thought I understood what the difference was between Framerate Limiter and Framerate Target but I guess the only way to know if they are the same thing is to disable v-sync and try a demanding game such as Crysis 3 or Battlefield 3 on maxed out settings with the same value such as 60, 75 or 90 to see if the GPU(s) perform(s) differently.

If they are the same thing then it would seem odd why both Precision X and Afterburner have Framerate Limiter options but only the former has a Framerate Target option.

18. Pey

Pey Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX @ SLI
    Hi guys,

Havent entered this thread in a while. I see you came you with a solution for sleeping dogs :D

I´m playing splinter cell blacklist and i was having the same issue, but I tried the 0x00000020 flag and it works :D

Just came to say that

Regards

edit: txaa doesnt seem to work though, screen goes black but the game still plays, weird.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013