~$600 World of Warcraft Rig

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by FULMTL, Feb 11, 2013.

1. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    When a PSU is rated for 500W, that means that it delivers 500W DC regardless of its efficiency. Efficiency determines how much power that power supply draws to deliver the required output, in this case a max of 500W. So if it's 90% efficient @100% load, then that means 500W are 90% of what it draws in. This means it draws in 555.55W at the wall.

And no, efficiency is much much higher than 70%. Even midrange (low-end?) power supplies go into at least the low 80s. Good PSUs go into high 80s - low 90s, and premium PSUs such as some Enermax models get into the 94% range (I'm guessing @50% or 75% load).

The system in question being built in this topic draws much less power than your system would draw. When specs are decided, I guess we would be able to do some math, an objective analysis of how much the system draws on max, in typical gaming scenarios, etc...

I always advise leaving 30% headroom in a power supply, since hitting 70% PSU load on max load seems to be a sweet spot (balance) for efficiency, lifespan, and not going overkill on a PSU.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    and how does this relate to you saying that a 500w psu is a baaaad idea for his low end rig? and please show me exactly where did anyone say that he should go with a 350w psu? people have said their rigs top out around 300w, but obviously you don't buy a 300w psu for those rigs, you need some reserve. but for the op, a 500w psu will be more than he'll ever need. learn to read.

3. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 3GB DDR5
    @yasamoka

I agree, it would draw less power than mine. And we are way out of topic on this matter. About the efficiency, I always take into account the worst case scenario. You can't blame me for that.

Returning to the rig at hand my words were: The 500watt PSU or 450watt (i don't remember which was in question) will do as long as everything stays in control. I suppose eclap you either didn't read that or you skipped it to support your words.

But I'm taking into account not only the one rig he is trying to build but his future upgrades and I still stick to my opinion that a 500watt is a bad idea (and I will need to elaborate) if he wants to create a new rig that will probably use it and upgrade it in the near future and OC it. If he decides to stick with it and then dump it afterwards he will be fine even with a 400watt PSU. If he wants to keep it, upgrade it and use it for more exhausting things it's always good to have some spare wattage for all the worse case scenarios such as the efficiency, wastes, electrical faults, thunders, spikes, etc. etc.

I really don't get it why you personally attack me on all threads for giving out my opinion and justifying it with valid reasons. Unless you have something personal with me (which would be at least hilarious since you have never met me or not knowing my background) I suggest you stop ignoring my posts if they seem wrong to you and let me continue giving my opinion without pulling the thread out of topic all the time!

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    it's not just me, it's others in this thread and in other threads. you've been told now quite a few times that you talk nonsense. please tell me what exactly is your psu model? if your such an expert you should know what's inside your case. if you can't remember, please have a look.

5. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    Well, conserning the other threads I rememeber the one with the 3470 3.2ghz not OCing which it can be overclocked up to 4ghz. In which thread I said that it's a personal thing whether you like that OC or not. But still proved you wrong.

The other one about the headphones in which you were saying that some guy should buy the 300 euros stereo headphones (and here comes what you say about others ppl money) and I was supporting that he is not a sound engineer and should buy something less expensive, even giving alternatives (in which post I wasn't either right or wrong).

In another post I think that there was a guy with a 400-450 watt PSU that I told him it wasn't sufficient, a dozen msgs telling me that I was wrong and his reply after 1 week telling that his PSU was burnt. (right again)

My Case is behind my 42 flat screen. Do you REALLY think I will go into so much trouble removing the screen, taking out the case with all the wiring above the screen dissembler it and assemble it again to get it back just to tell you my model number ??? I did it once to take the wattage readings, I'm not doing it again.

I'm done on the PSU and personal attacks issue. Let's talk about the rig at hand now.

@OP

What about a 1TB HDD? It will leave you room to install some more things and even download movies, games, etc etc.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    pls show me where I said anyone should buy $300 headphones. pls. you're making things up in your head.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    wow....I've never owned a computer where I couldn't go to the PSU maker's website and pick out the exact power supply I was using....

My system is plugged into a kilowatt meter. While typing this response, it was drawing roughly 145watts from the outlet. At full load, it draws roughly 298watts from the outlet. Now, consider that my PSU is 80+ bronze....meaning that it's efficiency is in the range of 80-85% and if you're any good at math, you get a pretty good idea of what a real mid-range gaming system actually draws.

That last paragraph made me laugh.... You sound like the last electronics instructor I had.... Don't feel bad...he was wrong quite frequently too.

The only set I've ever seen you recommend is like $42 on sale, $90 full price....and well worth every dime of that price tag.

8. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    HAhahahaha, and you as a student were right ofc. Typical.

9. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Must be nice to be able to make up conversations you had with people about their PSU burning out (and you being right) that didn't occur for the sake of argument.

Frankly, no one cares what you calculated about your system, because it isn't the system in question. We're talking about the OP's potential system and it isn't the same. 7850 will absolutely max out at 130w on a program like furmark. CPU will absolutely max out at 100w.

That's 230w, if the CPU has four cores at 100% and the GPU is running furmark.

Add in the system board, 50w. Add in some hard disks, let's give 30 for those. Fans and accessories another 20. And we're at 400w. That's if EVERYTHING in the computer is COMPLETELY stressed which literally never occurs. Its difficulty to even make it happen if you're trying to, because you have to stress the disks as well. Even given all those requirements, you're still at 80% of the capacity of the PSU.

Even then, the PSU screams along, zero problems.

But in real life, the GPU doesn't sit at 130w, because you don't play furmark. The CPU doesn't sit at 100w, because you don't play IBT. Not even close on either. In real life, the GPU is more like 100-110. The CPU is more like 50-70. The disks are mostly idle. The RAM isn't fully utilized. The fans aren't spinning 100%. The disk drive isn't spinning. The motherboard isn't delivering full power.

I mean, there's just so much extra power that isn't used that you're just insane, it's ridiculous. 500w is fine. Let it go. You're embarrassing yourself by attempting to troll the thread. Just let it go man. You're wrong. That's OK.

10. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    @IPlayNaked

Nice nickname btw. I hope you not really do. :p

I have no intention in going into arguments and I'm trying to have a civilized conversation here. Some members of the forum ofc haven't got the "nerves" to be polite through the internet as they feel safe talking like crap through a screen. I agree with you on everything you said. I'm not trying to troll anything. I gave away my reasoning about the 500 watt, future updates, spikes and faults that might deem a 500 watt PSU to be "little".

As I said before, for the OP specs it's alright but if he decides to add additional HDDs, fans, OC it, panels, maybe change the GPU to a better one or have a whole update it won't be alright. And then he will need to buy a new PSU.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    let's just agree that the guy is completely deluded, is pulling things out of some kind of a magic hat and well in general, he knows very little about what he's talking about. then he often backtracks, contradicts himself etc.

Creation, you have been wrong countless times, others have pointed it out so I think it's time to own up to it. you talk before you think sometimes. Oh and pls show me the 300 eur headphones I was recommending? if you don't we'll just have to agree that everything I've said about you above (making things up etc) is true.

Anyway OP, have you decided on the final parts for this rig? and also, like Syko said, would you consider used parts? there's always some good deals going on here in the trading section and you could grab your mate a bargain.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    But but but....I like it when he tries to say we're all wrong!!!!

I've got a bargain for him....if he's open to used parts....lol

13. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Gentlemen keep it civil.

Lots of good info in the thread though.

14. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Hard to recommend higher wattage psu then needed on such a tight budget... and I wouldn’t consider spending more on it for future upgrades. Worry about that when that time comes. Just my 2c, not directed at the OP as he already knows this.

^ That sounds pretty reasonable.

15. AC_Avatar100400

AC_Avatar100400 Guest

GPU:
    WC GTX 780
    @CreationP Your a idiot except it so go have your bottle from mummy.

To answer the op i played wow on pretty good settings with a I3 2100
    and a 6300 beats it and can overclock a fair bit even on stock cooler.
    Even tho i am ATI bias person i would say the 650TI should do fine
    but if you can get a 7850 do it very nice card and at the end of the day will the system just run 1 game?.

16. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    @ Avatar: We do not have mummies here.

17. AC_Avatar100400

AC_Avatar100400 Guest

GPU:
    WC GTX 780
    That explains why your so dumb nobody ever taught you anything clap clap clap.
    Op i forgot to mention the 7770 is a good option for a GFX card that with a I5 3470 runs wow pretty well.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  18. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    @Avatar

Hahahaaha, you're so funny man. Keep it up!

19. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    One more insult from either one of you ... and your account is halted.

Choose wisely.

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Here is a suggestion that is right in your $350 budget
    [​IMG]

Edit link not working posted screenshot instead

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013