HDR with MPC-HC and MadVR?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by droodle, Dec 1, 2016.

1. droodle

droodle Guest

I picked up a Samsung 55KS8000 around Black Friday and am struggling to get it working with HDR on my PC. The only place I've found that actually gets the TV to report that it's receiving an HDR signal from my PC is in Shadow Warrior 2, where there is an HDR setting in the menu and when it's enabled - the TV correctly indicates that it's playing in HDR.

I understand that very few PC games support HDR at this point, but I've long used my PC as a media player as well, and I can't seem to get my MPC-HC/MadVR/LAV setup to make the TV report HDR - or to match the visual quality I see when I transfer those files onto an external drive and play them through the TV's own media player (where it also correctly reports an HDR video is playing).

The fact that I am able to get Shadow Warrior to play in HDR seems to eliminate any issues with my cables/equipment, which would indicate that there is some issue with the settings. I've fiddled around with settings in Nvidia control panel, MadVR and LAV quite a bit - but can't seem to find a way to make it all work the way I think it should.

The closest I've come in picture quality is to set MadVR to convert the HDR video to SDR, which looks pretty good, but still doesn't match the true HDR video. If I set MadVR to passthrough the HDR signal untouched, it results in a SDR image being displayed. Neither setting prompts the TV to report that an HDR video is playing.

I've done quite a bit of searching and can't find any comprehensive guide on getting this to work, so just wondering if anyone has done-so and what they did to do it.

Appreciate any help I can get.

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

What versions of software are you using? This includes Windows, version of MPC-HC (although I like MPC-HC BE now), LAVfilters, and madVR.

MPC-HC BE 1.5.0.2101
    or
    MPC-HC 1.7.10.269
    (not that the versions are NOT directly comparable. MPC-HC BE 1.5.2101 is actually newer than standard MPC-HC)

Filters are built into MPC-HC BE, but you can manually enable LAVFilters if you want to use a newer build. LAVFilters is at 0.68.1-45 currently.

madVR 0.91.3

Are you using 32-bit players or x64?

3. kaingr

kaingr Guest

GPU:
    gigabyte waterforce 1080
  4. droodle

droodle Guest

Win 10 Pro 14393
    MPC-HC 1.7.10
    MadVR 0.91.3
    LAV 0.68.1

Everything x64. Just reinstalled Windows last week and redownloaded the newest versions of everything, so pretty sure I'm up-to-date. Also tried MPC-BE on your suggestion, same result unfortunately.

5. droodle

droodle Guest

Thanks but I'm pretty sure the TV settings aren't the issue, since HDR works in Shadow Warrior 2 on the same input from my PC.

6. Dbgnu76

Dbgnu76 Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 8gb
    Any luck somebody ? I have same problem.