Windows Blue shall be named Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 3, 2013.

1. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Is it possible to run Ubuntu with a different Desktop Environment? Can't stand the current one.

2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    If < 1 ohm.

Yes. You can modify Ubuntu or download:
    http://xubuntu.org/
    http://www.kubuntu.org/

Or get something less boring and some actually good stuff, like:
    http://www.freebsd.org/

3. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    It better be free or I'm done with Windows in the future.
    There just absolutely no way I will ever pay for service packs.

4. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    vocal minority? Have you seen the estimated sales and acceptance numbers? It is hardly a "minority".

5. FordLynx07

FordLynx07 Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 DOC
    This Windows 8.1 looks like a service pack to me.

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It's Linux, so of course! Actually, Ubuntu comes with GNOME 2 (called GNOME Classic). It's pre-installed.

deltatux

7. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
  9. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    I dont know what system he is running but with my desktop it opens way faster than that.

10. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    Even my old Eee PC takes between 2-3 seconds to open Firefox in Linux Mint.

11. JoeyJoeJoe5500

JoeyJoeJoe5500 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB
    If I could find a USB wifi adapter that works with Xubuntu 64bit, I could finally throw Windows in the trash for good.

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Some (update enthusiasts) may notice there are fewer releases of hotfixes for Windows 8 than there are for Windows 7, taking into account the time that they have been out. In other words, Windows 7 had many more hotfixes at the same point after release as Windows 7. This is not because Windows 8 vastly superior to Windows 7, but because I believe they are saving the hotfixes for 'Windows 8.1'. The other consideration is that Windows 8 is just a big update for Windows 7 on a system level (UI not counting, it's true, don't argue!), so many of the issues are already fixed.

Visually speaking, and I'm not talking about Metro here, apparently Windows 8.1 will be even 'flatter' than Windows 8, gone are things like the non-aero transparent taskbar. Of course I think the UI direction is wrong as I voiced before, but I also believe the less graphically appealing UI is also the wrong direction. A simple interface can be beneficial on a tablet due to the screen size, but graphically neutered isn't a good thing either. They really need to have a pleasant UI on tablets/phones, and have a not-dissimilar but very pleasing UI on desktop.

Anyways, there had been suggestion that there will be a separate service pack for Windows 8, but that wouldn't make sense.

It would also be nice to have separate UAC for desktop and 'Modern' app use. To disable UAC properly in Windows 8 you have to change a specific registry entry, EnableLUA, from 1 to 0. Disabling it in the control panel does not disable UAC properly. Of course, the downside to this is you can't run 'Modern' apps (if you call that a downside, since they are quite inefficient) since you need UAC enabled to run them. This may be because Modern apps are less secure than 'proper' apps? ;) who knows? But since if when you run 'Modern' apps and it says it can't run due to UAC being disabled, it should be easy to set it up so you can have say, full UAC on Metro apps and limited/disabled UAC for other apps. Of course, this would make sense, and going by the choices of Microsoft's design team, I don't see this 'common sense' change being likely.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2013
  13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Windows 7 Support lasts untill 2020, nothing to worry about untill then.