Rage - Part 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Feb 8, 2013.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    You any want to go through the last few pages of this thread and have a look at what others have been doing for ini tweaks, im pretty sure the last patch or dlc made quite few tweaks redundant.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    haha I remember RAGE, I also remember spending more time trying to fix it than I ended up playing it :D

config files, .dlls from AMD drivers copied here and there, command lines entered on shortcuts, popping textures

haha it was fun though :D

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    If you want a fast answer,pm -Tj-

He'll be able to help you out.

4. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Got ya

I just launched the game through Steam. It's asking to select Rage or Rage 64 with mods? Is Rage 64 bit with mods the better choice?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013

5. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    .Well. Strange thing happens when I turned on the game. The textures in the back ground take seconds to load. It looks bad. I googled and found something about GPU transcoding not enabled with sli? I noticed in eVGA precision only one GPU was working. So I enabled transcoding by selecting nvcp and changing cuda to run on only 1 of 2 GPU like said and now have transcoding enabled(with same bench score). But still only GPU 1 works? How do I get Rage to run in sli? Does that fix the texture delays?

Edit: I got transcoding enabled in 32 by selecting card 2 of 2. But the texture delay is still happening and only card 1 is working still.. My benchmark score is 125 now. I put aside couple hours tonight check out Rage and I didn't even play it cause I wasted time on these bugs?? Any direction to correct this?

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Its probably detailed textures fault.. I have it off too, even now on i7 because it requires high vram.. And dont use more then 4xaa.

btw seta jobs_numThreads "" ie 8 will improve benchmark score, even 4 will be higher then at default..

This is my setting atm, make a Rageconfig.cfg file and put it in \Steam\steamapps\common\rage\base

//main settings
    seta com_videoRam "1279"
    seta jobs_numThreads "8"

//Virtual Textures
    vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 "16384"
    vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly "8192"
    vt_pageimagesizeunique "16384"
    vt_pageimagesizevmtr "8192"
    vt_maxaniso "12"
    vt_maxlockedpages "2048"

//virtual textures format
    vt_qualityHDPLossless "1"
    vt_qualityHDPDiffuse "0"
    vt_qualityHDPNormal "0"
    vt_qualityHDPPower "0"
    vt_qualityHDPSpecular "0"
    vt_qualityDCTChroma "100"
    vt_qualityDCTLuma "100"
    vt_qualityDCTNormal "100"
    vt_qualityDCTPower "100"
    vt_qualityDCTSpecular "100"
    vt_uncompressedvmtr "1"
    seta vt_preload "1"
    vt_vmtrcompression "none" //HDP DXT DCT
    mt_genCompression "none"
    vt_minMipLevelInstalled "20"
    vt_nopreload "0"

//cuda settings
    vt_cudaRLE "1"
    vt_maxPPF "256"
    vt_cudaBudget "10"
    vt_usecudatranscode "2"

//Render
    r_gamma "0.90"
    g_fov 95
    vt_minlod "-1"
    vt_lodBias "-1"
    image_lodbias "-1"
    r_sb_imageSize "2048"
    r_useNewPrivateLighting "1"
    r_useHardwareTextures "1"
    r_useSMP "1"
    r_dimShadowHeightTweak "0"
    r_dimShadowForceHighQuality "1"
    r_dimShadowResolution "2048"
    r_noBreakableShadows "0
    //g_reactivateGibsForMover "1"

//Image
    image_anisotropy "12"
    seta image_preload "1"
    image_blend "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
    image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR"
    image_useCompression "0"

//sound
    s_reverb "1"
    s_occlusionDistance "1024"
    s_maxSamples "8"
    s_maxEmitterChannels "32"

//Noskip forceON
    md6_generateDamageTextures "1"
    r_lazyBindParms "0"
    r_lazyBindPrograms "0"
    r_lazyBindTextures "0"
    af_skipAirFriction "0"
    af_skipFriction "0"
    af_skipLimits "0"
    af_skipSelfCollision "0"
    com_skipDiscSwapStateManager "0"
    com_skipGameRenderView "0"
    com_skipInputRouting "0"
    com_skipIntroVideo "0"
    com_skipSignInManager "0"
    face_skipBlink "0"
    face_skipGestures "0"
    face_skipHead "0"
    face_skipLidDeform "0"
    face_skipLipsync "0"
    face_skipMood "0"
    face_skipProcedural "0"
    g_skipBombTimerFailTarget "0"
    g_skipBreakableParticles "0"
    g_skipCloth "0"
    g_skipFXManager "0"
    g_skipViewEffects "0"
    g_skipWaterSim "0"
    g_weaponSkipSound "0"
    gc_skipFiction "0"
    pm_skipAnimation "0"
    r_skipAugment "0"
    r_skipAutosprites "0"
    r_skipBaseSurfaces "0"
    r_skipBeams "0"
    r_skipBlendedSurfaces "0"
    r_skipBlendLights "0"
    r_skipCloth "0"
    r_skipCommits "0"
    r_skipDecals "0"
    r_skipDetailModels "0"
    r_skipDetailTris "0"
    r_skipDimShadows "0"
    r_skipDistortionSurfaces "0"
    r_skipDynamic "0"
    r_skipDynamicLighting "0"
    r_skipEffects "0"
    r_skipEmissiveGlare "0"
    r_skipFeedback "0"
    r_skipFlares "0"
    r_skipFoliage "0"
    r_skipGeneratedFileCheck "0"
    r_skipGlare "0"
    r_skipGuis "0"
    r_skipLightCPUCulling "0"
    r_skipLightGPUCulling "0"
    r_skipLights "0"
    r_skipMergeMeshes "0"
    r_skipModelCPUCulling "0"
    r_skipModelGPUCulling "0"
    r_skipModelRangeCulling "0"
    r_skipModels "0"
    r_skipNodeCPUCulling "0"
    r_skipNodeGPUCulling "0"
    r_skipOcclusionBaseModel "0"
    r_skipParticles "0"
    r_skipSlowLights "0"
    r_skipStripDeadCode "0"
    r_skipSuppress "0"
    r_skipSurfaceCPUCulling "0"
    r_skipTransparencySort "0"
    r_skipUpdateInView "0"
    r_skipViewParms "0"
    r_skipVmtrs "0"
    r_skipWaterSurfaces "0"
    r_skipWorld "0"
    r_skipZCullReconstruct "0"

//vt_restart
    seta r_forceVmtrReload "1"

7. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Use 4xAA and detailed textures set to off and apply the ini file, got it. Thank you TJ. Do I set CUDA in NVCP back to all? Or keep it set to 2 out of 2 GPU? Will the ini file make sli/2nd graphics card work now? GPU usage and all?

Edit: ok, I did as advised. But I'm getting the same benchmark score with detailed textures on or off.. It looks better with it on. Should I keep it on??

8. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Struggling with this game. Spending more time researching on getting it to run properly then actually playing it. It's ridiculous. Is there any tricks to get GPU transcoding run at a higher score? I'm getting 120 with transcoding enabled with or without TJ's config file. I'm reading on the net people with 460 or 560 sli with transcoding enabled are getting 300+ on the benchmark score? What am I doing wrong?

9. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Don't worry about the benchmark score.
    The benchmark scores how quickly your system can load in texture data. The game itself runs at 60 FPS no matter what. It's capped at 60.

Unless you're experiencing slow texture loading, which you shouldn't be given the game has been patched to address that. You're also running Nvidia hardware... which didn't suffer the problems AMD did with RAGE's texture streaming.
    Don't focus on the benchmark scores for GPU Transcoding.

10. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I hear you. What I'm experiencing, is when I turn to the side or do a 180 quickly, it takes a second or more for the textures to completely load in my view..

I'm running the steam copy of the game. I'm pretty sure steam automatically downloads the patches when I download the game through steam correct?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah. It'll be fully updated.
    And the texture's loading when you turn quickly is part of idTech5. The engine only loads textures on what's in view of the player, streaming in textures as you turn and streaming out textures that leave your field of view.

It's said a higher transcoding score will improve this, but... I can change one setting and get terrible benchmark scores or great ones. And still have zero issues with textures streaming while playing.

12. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    Guys, do you know anything about Rage 2?

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Until Doom 4 is finishing and released, there won't be anything happening with the RAGE series.

14. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    Doom 4 is postponed quite awhile. Nowhere news from it.

15. Software Junkie

Software Junkie Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I had that problem and no end of tweaking and fiddling with rageconfig solved it until I turned off detailed textures. When that is turned off in the game's video settings the problem goes away (for me).
    The detailed texture setting does not effect the resolution of the game textures, it just adds some kind of filtering that is intended to add the illusion of more detail.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013

16. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Someone please load rage. I'm home from work, I launch steam, and steam downloads some update. I launch rage and it crashes at the loading screen! Man. I've reset the pc and removed all ini files and the game continues to crash as soon as I launch the game from steam. Is anyone getting this?

It says rage has stopped working

For some reason it only wants to run in 64 bit mode now? But in 64 bit with the transcoding enables no longer doubles my score like in 32 version. Now my score is 69 from 123. This games wacked

Lost my saved games because of this bug preventing me launching rage 32 exe all of a sudden. I'm just going to uninstall and redownload it. Tried everything else. Livid

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  17. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    **Update* I reinstalled the game, installed new drivers, etc. Game still wasn't loading. After further research I found this link: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2814286
    Turns out all I had to do was uncheck the steam community.. Since that my transcoding score jumped up to 240! Huge improvement. Along with TJ config file the game looks great. And plays great. I notice a very brief amount of texture loading and wondering if it has to do with cache size automatically set to small. I believe it's due to the config.cfg file from TJ. But I read having this set to large improves the texture loading.. Any direction on how to enable this with the ini file? I experienced one strange slowdown coming out of the camp. Took a few seconds for the Fps to come back but it was still not full speed. Reset fixed it. Enjoying this game and glad I finally got it working! :)

18. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    If there ever is a Rage 2 (or Doom 4 for that matter) I hope they will finally ditch the "hallway" approach for moving through the environment. This also applies to the "follow-the-dot" approach (i.e., COD and Battlefield series) that seems to be the replacement for the "hallway" approach in so many games. Open world, sandbox games are so much more enjoyable and realistic.

It's fine to have a goal to work towards (Far Cry series) but it should be something to be achieved eventually with other options (encounters, sub-plots, etc.) to pursue along the way. If done properly, the world comes to life and the immersion factor goes ballistic.

19. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    You mean something like original Bioshock (when you disable the arrow) ?

20. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    Well Bioshock's environment is more of a hybrid by design. The whole game takes place inside buildings with rooms and halls but yes, you don't have to complete the objectives in any specific order.

Rage is open only while driving around but even then you are limited to where you can go and everything around is just scenery textures. Once you engage a mission area it scales down to the equivalent of Doom type hallways. Some areas are buildings so it's expected but other areas are defined by rubble and such.

The Far Cry series is pretty much an open world...at least since FC2. You can go pretty much anywhere you want and complete objectives in whatever order you want. FC2 is a series of goals but without the "hobbies" and sideshow "games" FC3 introduced. FC2 includes extra activities without them being declared as such. For example, capturing safe houses is a goal in itself. You need them to survive so it's seamlessly woven into the game. I think there are plenty of opportunities with various stories and settings where something similar could be developed.

The problem is games today have fallen into the same rut as movies. Everything is now a sequel which is marketed as a brand for better ticket sales. In the old days they were called, "Expansion Packs" sold at a reduced price and there were still plenty of new types of games being released. But not anymore. Ten years from now everyone will be playing COD 11 and Battlefield 12...if it doesn't get boring first.

It's all been boiled down to a marketing formula which is killing creativity. I hardly buy games anymore...what's the point? I've already played them in earlier versions. Hopefully the publishing houses will realize where this is all going and climb out of their hole they've dug for themselves.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013