Steam Controller Revealed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by morbias, Sep 27, 2013.

1. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Rather than traditional thumbsticks, the new Steam controller features dual clickable trackpads which Steam says will offer more precise inputs than current gamepads....

Steam Controller Revealed

2. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Not sure how I feel about this lol

3. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    Kinda looks like an old playstation 1 controller.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    how? it's not even close.

5. PCElite

PCElite Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
  6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    lol

Can I mix some mini discs on that?

[​IMG]

7. medallish

medallish Guest

GPU:
    2x Asus AMD 7970 DCU II
    lol I literally made a user to reply that, like you couldn't choose a controller that looked less like this :p.

8. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    What is this......no thank you....no thank you valve, back to the drawing board.

Cool idea, bad presentation I think. There is no way this is comfortable or effective at gaming.

Well then I'm Batman!

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Valve seem to have lost the plot recently.

10. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Agreed, they are doing everything but what the gamers want as of late. There is no way this is going to set a new trend either.

11. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Removing tactility will be a problem for many.

Looks more like an Xbox pad with its face cut off. It's absolutely nothing like a PS1 controller.

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Oh look, a fail.

13. ClexRex

ClexRex Guest

GPU:
    780 Classified / R9 290
    WoW that's ugly....they really need to stop what they are doing with this niche market stuff...im so lost on what they are doing over there. Maybe its time for new blood and new idea's.

I love Valve and all but common guys ;/ No one is going to buy this junk lol
    No disrespect to Valve at all. You guys rule build something new innovative or something.

Yea...ill stick with my badass rig and keyboard/mouse and not let that thing within 15ft of me lol might make you as fugly as it is lolsss:banana:

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What exactly were they thinking? This is absolutely the most ridiculous looking controller I've ever seen.

15. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    I'll pass final judgment once I get a hold of it but I can't see how in the world that's supposed to be more intuitive than a controller. I can see it being useful in RTS games, as they mentioned, but for every other genre it looks to be about as practical as using the touchscreen controls on a smartphone, which is to say, "Not very". :)

16. theimported1

theimported1 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti SLI on EK Blocks
    We have not even seen the final design yet guys. Put a little faith in valve.

And their whole steamOS is pretty damn innovative is you ask me.

The steambox is not that innovative, but I see it more as a stepping stone for the SteamOS for the masses.

This controller may work out to be ALOT better than the x360 controller many of you currently use for certain games.

Point is, we don't know yet so let's see what happens before getting too critical.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    We're discussing what is put in front of us, if someone leaks a pic, we'll talk about it. what do you want us to do? say "don't express your opinions yet, this might not be a final product"?

Sure, it would help to hold the controller to find out more about how good it really is, but I think most will disapprove of the lack of thumbsticks, even without ever holding it.

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    While its doesnt grab me as the next evolution in controlling games, at least its something different. Lets hope it tracks well enough to make it worth while.

I like that Valve are doing there own thing and all, but ive yet to see anything...at all, that really makes me go 'Wow, finally, change!'

So far it all looks like a bunch of half arse patient side stepping tactics to avoid lawsuits and being different for the sake of being different.

And as i finish this post, ive now decided that i dont like this controller the least bit. What have you achieved by removing the actual thumb sticks?

I somewhat agree with you on that. Im all for progress but whats the point in spending all this money on different controllers and such if the games are still going to be the same stuff as whats already easily and comfortably playable on the current lot of controllers.

Really, this is no more than an "HD' remake for game controllers.

Get back to basics and give me better games (interpret that however you want) and then once you've run out of buttons.. then work on a controller upgrade.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  19. theimported1

theimported1 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti SLI on EK Blocks
    No, discussing the product is great.

My point was--nothing is set in stone--this may not be the final revision--so don't completely dismiss/disregard.

I also much prefer KB&M, and really hate using a controller for most games. I am having a hell of a time getting used to GTA V.
    There are games that are better with a controller though, and this may be a worthy replacement to the 'ol X360 pad.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  20. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Valve need to stop messing around with this Ouya sh1t and release Half Life 3 for cripes sake!