R9 290x Black Screen Crash

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by nickrorschach, Nov 4, 2013.

1. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    I'm on a 60Hz though...

2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Great last time it was red screen now black hope i do not have this issue....that would pee me off.

3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    One person said that he only got the black screens when he upgraded from one beta driver to the newest one. And he fixed it by uninstallijng the driver, using DDU 9.1 in safemode, then reinstalling the latest beta driver.

4. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    He probably didn't fix the issue. Like I explained on another forum, the issue can happen any time, randomly, and may not happen in hours of gaming at all..

My card worked fine for a week, even at 1150/1500 (default voltages), and all of a sudden on Saturday I started getting those blackscreens (Signal loss to the monitor, had to hard reset).

I tried driver re-install (with clean installs using DDU 9.1 in Safe Mode too), even underclocked the card to 800/1000, and nothing...

But then I shut off the computer and kept it off for a few minutes, and then I was able to do some gaming again at my normal OC of 1150/1500...

To me it sounds like either bad drivers or lots of faulty cards, I'm hoping the first one.

5. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    I've tested on both 60,75 and 120 all blackscreen and hard crash, maybe if screen was just blacking out I'd say it could be that but it's not.

Trust me I am pissed right off, never had such a unstable pc in the last 10 years until I put this gpu in and for anyone say oh well its only beta drivers and all gpu's are like this at launch BS! I've had a bunch of nvidia cards on launch day and none of them were like this.

I'm going to try the beta V3 that came with the card today just to totally eliminate that possibility, either way I am in contact with rma again.

6. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    faulty cards?

7. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    It feels that way to me. I mean I ran with a 680 for over year same specs no probs ran with the igpu for a week with no problems I stick this card in and problems, black screens hard crashes bleh bleh bleh.

Also guy over at hardforum saying were nvidia media shills making it up lol right bunch of tossers.

Any one who knows me knows how much I was looking forward to getting a 290 so much so I couldn't wait and ended up dropping more cash to get the 290X

I want to like this card I REALLY do the performance is top notch no doubt about it but the heat is questionable and the hard crashes are annoying the hell out of me.

8. nickrorschach

nickrorschach Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290x 4GB
    Has anyone heard from anyone official yet? Sapphire and AMD are ignoring me for over a week now.

It can't be faulty cards, not this many, across this many board partners.

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    They are all AMD boards no matter who you get them from so yes it can be hardware. I hope it's not but it could be.

10. nickrorschach

nickrorschach Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290x 4GB
    It's really difficult to get an idea of what percentage of people have a problem, but it seems like quite a lot. If this is a hardware issue it's pretty bad.

I hope not too. Still stopping myself from RMAing.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    All affected people here have card in PCIe 2.0 mode.
    The Postman suggested as his solution permanently turning on PCIe 3.0 in BIOS.
    Since ToorboCharge sent card immediately back, only kcuestag can test this.
    And The Postman can update us if he got since this bios config change any Black Screens.

12. nickrorschach

nickrorschach Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290x 4GB
    I dont think i can get PCIe 3.0 on my ASrock board, or i would happily try this out.

13. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Rock stable. I played BF4 for hours and one game crash when I was exiting ...or probably I was kicked ...lol

14. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    No PCI express 3 here even though my board says it supports it on its official page I think I need a 3rd gen I series CPU to use it.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    yeah you need an ib 1155 cpu for pci e 3.0

16. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Do you think it would be worth the upgrade? they have the i7 3770 for cheap on Amazon at the moment. I know PCI e3 on its own wouldn't be huge upgrade but with the CPU I should get a nice boost?

17. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Mine is in PCIe 3.0 already just like my previous 7970 cards. :(

18. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    I'd also like to discard temperatures as a cause to this black screen issue. Mine is watercooled and the GPU Core never exceeds 50ºC (1125/1450 and fans at 800-900RPM) and both VDDC sensors on GPU-z show the VRM's well below 55ºC at all times.

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    3770k? that would be a decent upgrade if its cheap enough, I dont think pci e 3.0 would do much with a single card though. maybe 3%

20. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Yeah sorry it's the i7 3770K I do quite a bit of video and audio editing on this pc so the HT should help nicely.

I think I may of fixed my black screen crashes and other instability...

I have taken my ram out of duel channel mode by moving one of the sticks into a different slot. I've ran firelink extreme for a few hours and played a bunch of games too all ran fine. Also the weird jerkyness of moving firefox tabs and windows has gone.

My 290X clearly doesn't like duel channel ram on my mobo. I'll test bf4 next seems as that's the most prone to hard crashes (yeah I do realise the games quite buggy at the moment but most people are just crashing to desktop not black screen system crashes with no logs/bsod.