Overclocking FX 6300 help needed!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Mraz, Dec 4, 2012.

1. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    There is no point overclocking NB, keep it at default (2200Mhz for that CPU i think). Also, this is maybe not related to stability, but i do prefer to keep HT at 2000Mhz (trough HT basically flows information for all PCI-PCIe devices etc. it is very sensitive to frequency, depending from board to board, test it yourself, and see what is best for your board).

Keep on mind that while you overclock NB, you overclock MB-NB, not CPU-NB, CPU-NB is locked and you can see it with AIDA64 (for MB-NB CPU-Z), so, if default freq. for your CPU-NB is 2200Mhz, in AIDA64 under overclock tab, it should show those readings, and under CPU-Z, it should show 2600Mhz (your overclock), so maybe that cause instability.

Btw, those are very low temps. i got double than that lol.

But having on mind all other components you use, yeah, it is probably PSU don't have enough power.

Also, disable HPC in BIOS.

2. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
  3. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ that is nice, but may or may not help you. Take a step back and rationalize the OC you are trying to achieve on a 3.5ghz chip. It really sounds like your expectations on the overclock are a bit high. I only know of one person on these forums that OC'd an FX to 4.6 stably and successfully and it was no picnic lol. Reference this thread http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=370403

Also, heed the advice we have been giving here on the north bridge. 2600 causes instability with an FX system in my experience. I couldn't get mine stable at 2400 and called it a night with a 200mhz boost to 2200.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  4. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Ok I will take that into notice...2200 it is...

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Haven't read trough the entire thread, but have you increased voltage on the DIMMs ? if you are crashing at 4 Ghz already .. that's just weird and typically indicates that something else is going on.

I'm however not sure you'll ever reach a stable 4400+ MHz OC on that mobo and CPU you might simply need to lower your expectations, and please do understand that a high OC depends on all components.

Most of the time these CPUs overclock really consistent, but sometimes a batch just isn't able to clock above spec. Then last but not least, voltages and cooling is everything ... what are your Prime95 temps ? You might need 1.5 Volts as crazy as it sounds at ~4500 MHz

6. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    At 4Ghz my PC even restarted couple of times while playing BF3 and/or Far Cry 3, so I just came to a conclusion that I dont have enough power, I brought it back to stock clocks and everything is working like a charm.

So I went out and bought a Corsair 800Watt GS series, and we will see how it goes when I install it later this evening.

I did hit high clocks, without errors in PI iterations, even at 4.6 Ghz but my PC would either restart or my screen would dissapear with music that I listened to still running in the background.

I also did a research about power consumption of my CPU and GPU at full load, and I am missing about 100Watt solid on the current PSU, I have XFX550 Watt, at least according to various reviews about GPU consumption which I have, and various wattage calculators I could find online.

I have a Corsair H80, and my temps never exceeded 35 degrees even with CPU at full load under games such as BF3, I havent ran Prime95 yet since my PC was really unstable under any OC.

Havent tried increasing voltage on DIMM's, since they are already on max as specified by the manufacturer at 1.5 volts.

I will definetly come back and post what is happening and has happened after PSU swap.

Ty for your response!!

EDIT: Did a quick research of voltages from my Corsair Vengeance C8 model, and it turns out they can take up to 1.7 volts without any prob so I will play with that a bit later on.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You know, typically the PSU would not have been an issue. But overclocking AMD processors does change the game alright. I have seen overclocked AMD processors consume HEAPS of power once overclocked with fairly high (1.4V+) voltages on the CPU.

So indeed, you might have found the source of the problem. Well, fingers crossed !

BTW 1.60V would be a sweet spot for your memory, don't pass 1.65V though.

8. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    I hope so too, thank you Hilbert once again for replying!

I already bought a 800W monster from Corsair, I hope everything will be fine! :D

9. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Sry for double post in advance!!

Installed new PSU, OC'd to 4.5 Ghz rock solid so far, but I must run Prime95 and such before 100% sure.

So far it passed 4 PI iterations of 2M without an error, it turns out it was PSU after all, now I just need to find my CPU limit!

EDIT: 4.5 Ghz at 1.50 volts, ram at 1.60 volts, timings are 8-8-8-24/2T, PI 32M iterations passed 0 errors, Futuremark CPU test passed, Prime95 will be tested tommorow but I believe it will pass as well

Max temp hit with Corsair H80 38 degrees celsious

Futuremark 3D11 score@4.5 Ghz

[​IMG]

That's it from me ladies and gentlemen, I think I achieved my best with this CPU, I will stick with it.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  10. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    ^thanks for that.
    Score is good.
    Is it win7 or win8?
    Hoped it would touch 7000 in physics score though.:p

11. nikitash

nikitash Banned

GPU:
    MSI R6870 HAWK
    Good job Mraz glad u got it nailed enjoy ur FX 6300 beast :)

12. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Windows 7, altough you reminded me there is a fix from Microsoft for FX processors...

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Sorry, only just got your pm. Good you got it sorted though. :)

14. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Ye, ty for checking in.

I also would add that I am almost the only one atm when you google FX 6300 overclock, with this ''guide'' sort of, so that people know what to rely on. :D

15. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Just to add that those temps are great! :). 38c on full load @1.5v, that cooler is great, or your room is very cold :p.

16. nikitash

nikitash Banned

GPU:
    MSI R6870 HAWK
    ^^ now make some love to games to warm up the room.

17. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    So I've been playing around with my FX 6300, I must say I noticed a huge improvement in games especially in BF3, since the game is designed from ground up to use all cores your CPU has to offer. I am above 100 FPS most of the time which makes the game insanely smooth, of course I have MSAA off and shadows are set to low, all other stuff is at Ultra.

Now just out of the curiosity I ran a little research about OC'ing FX 6300 to its limits and here's what I've found:

Source it's mentioned in the third paragraph page 9.

Now what I want to know, since they claim it is safe to go over 1.5, I guess as little as 1.52-3 wouldnt hurt; because even when you set it to that limit it doesnt actually reach 1.53, that is only the maximum limit you have set.

Would it hurt in long terms?

For example again I have my VCORE in BIOS set to 1.50, but in HWMONITOR it says it is and was 1.47 max reached when playing BF3 and under full load, also my temps never exceed 38 degrees celsious.

Only thing I am worried about it the CPU degradation over time, and at what volts that starts to occur?

Do you think guys I could squeeze out a bit more, reaching even higher clocks without the risk of damaging anything.

Or to at least try to aim for that 4.6 Ghz I've mentioned in the first place.

My HWMONITOR and CPUID snapshot...

Picture link(clicky clicky) :D

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  18. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    CPU degradation starts to occur at the time chip was produced :). I've read somewhere that FX CPU's are very good for voltage torture (not sure what they use as reference, because it's only a year passed), but it hink you should not worry about it, in worst case, your CPU will start to have problems with high clock after 3 or so years, but that will be time to change..., and it will probably still serve you well for spare PC or something on stock on light overclock, ofc. at temps you get, i guess it will work fine much much longer.... but no one can tell for sure, and only speculation absed on something can be said on that topic.

19. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Ladies and gentleman I present you 4.7Ghz stable at 1.52 volts, I am not going any higher just wanted to prove myself I can do it right, also I am having only 40 degrees celsious max. :p

Now its testy testy testy time xD

Picture

20. nikitash

nikitash Banned

GPU:
    MSI R6870 HAWK
    CPU degradation happens with 2 factors heat and too much voltage. As in ur case Mraz heat is no issue but voltage is as long as ur feeding the cpu voltage within its limits with good power supply there will be no problem running this chip for 3 years @ 4.7ghz clock.
    But u also consider this power supply will degrade its efficiency over time lets just say ~10% per year ifu keep it cool and clean. Dont worry just testy testy more and enjoy FX.