Windows 8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by snowdweller, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    That 90 year old guy is right ;)

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It's a developer's preview....the purpose is to help developers start writing apps that are compatible with Windows8 and can "interact" with the MetroUI. Allowing the MetroUI to be disabled at this point would completely defeat the purpose of the release.

Considering the extreme change, MS would be stupid to force users to switch from Aero/Classic to MetroUI when switching to Win8. Chances are, you'll have an option for either Aero/Classic or MetroUI in the final release.

3. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT

5. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    :bang::bang::bang:
    Maybe they'll tweak NTFS for SSD:nerd:

6. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    [​IMG]

So, it will be for client. :banana:

EDIT:
    [​IMG]

:D

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  7. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    just the option to disable metro and i am sold for win 8

8. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Metro is oriented for tablets, Standart UI for Desktop PC :nerd:

9. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    *yawn* more server features...

10. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    It's still early days and people don't really know much about it. I like that it's supposed to make more efficient use of system resources such as RAM etc, but that's really all I like about it!

Everything else seems to be going in the wrong direction as far as I'm concerned.

OK, So I can accept that eventually one day (not too soon I hope) EVERYTHING to do with computers is going to be simplistic and limited so that people who aren't prepared to learn or are stupid can use computers more easily and also so that corporations can have more control over what people do - just like SOPA

Maybe you can't see where I'm coming from with this, but basically Windows 8 LOOKS like SOPA to me!

One day even our web browsers will have no type box, just box icons to click on! MARK MY WORDS - IT WILL HAPPEN!

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

NTFS favours reliability (of the files system) over performance. Also, 4k allocation size favours reducing wastage over performance. SD cards and USB flash drives are best formatted with 32K allocation size (if you use Windows Explorer etc to format it may set it to 4k, very bad for performance). SSD's probably benefit from large allocation size too... Of course with NTFS you have the MFT, USN journal etc which chews through space (probably exceeding the savings made with 4k clusters over larger clusters).

Best performing file system combination, EXFat with 32k clusters (SD cards, although be wary of compatibility with devices, USB flash drives, and even hard drive partitions).

Windows has far too many files to consider larger allocation sizes than 4k. Realistically the manifest, INF files, Catalog files, and WinSxS files should all be contained in individual virtual file system files.

Consider Firefox, it saves website pages and images in data files, not as individual files like Internet Explorer. One major problem with Windows is that it wasn't made for efficiency in that regard. With each successive version of Windows etc, what seems as a good compromise at the time has turned in to an aweful mess.

12. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
  13. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
  14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Which could mean that we will see ReFS in a W8 system update at some point.

15. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    No start orb is just silly imo I have too many programs to pin them on the bottom, but I am loving that windows 95 recycle bin icon....

16. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    You can get it to show a start orb..

17. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    I thought the same thing with the start menu change from XP to 7, but had to download a little app to get the original menu back (if someone knows of a more elegant method, do tell). The classic Windows start menu is, in my opinion, the best way to handle organizing programs for execution, even over a command line: two key strokes can open most of 30 programs; three can open, what, hundreds? Why would they get rid of that? As I think about it, most users probably don't maintain their start menus, in which case it can turn into quite a train wreck, but a properly pruned classic start menu has no equal.

Downloading the .iso now - gonna give it a spin in vbox.

18. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  19. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I have been using it for a while now and came to this conclusion:
    Source: @deltatux on Twitter

deltatux

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    +1

It makes everything you normaly use the start menu for take 10 times longer to get there, and when you do get there, it drops back to the windows 7 UI to open it anyway, its useless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.