Which Mechanical keyboard to buy?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sounar, Apr 5, 2013.

1. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    So im looking to buy a new keyboard preferably mechanical as everyone swears by one nowadays. I am currently coming from Logitech G15 V2 and while I do love this keyboard I am starting to notice my WASD and Shift keys sometimes not registering well to my input in BF3/BC2 games as I sometimes have to double press the same key for it to register. So Im wondering which keyboard is my best bet.

Some things it must have is back-lit lighting and media keys like volume and mute as such my speakers volume knob is located on the back of the speakers so direct control is done through my keyboard. Cherry keys, i like the feel of blue switches as they give such an pronounced feedback but red switches i read are the best for FPS but dont have the tactile feedback..and black switches are in the middle of those two worlds from what i had read so perhaps black are the best for me? :infinity:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The CoolerMaster Storm Trigger, or the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate. The Trigger has the added benefit of having different versions with different switches. In my opinion, the best overall switch is MX Blue. That tactility is excellent in gaming and typing.

3. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    OP, actually it seems you have the blacks mixed up with the browns. The browns are considered in between the blues and reds, while the blacks are in a league of their own. I tried a keyboard with blacks and didn't like it at all, the keys require more actuation force and I could see them causing fatigue after hours of typing.

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide This is a great resource for Cherry MX switches :)

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I have heavy hands, so a keyboard with black switches would probably be best for me. Too bad Razor doesn't make a keyboard with them.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I have a steelseries 6gv2 which uses cherry-MX Black switches and I love it to pieces. One of the best keyboards I have used, and I have used a lot of them.

http://xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/peripherals/steelseries-6gv2-2/

6. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    If thats the case, you may like the blacks! Steer clear of the reds if you have heavy hands because those are featherweights lol. Thats why they say reds are good for fps, because they are very easy to quickly double tap. A bit too easy imo.

I own a Blackwidow that has Blues and although I love them for typing, I see no noticeable benefit in gaming. Browns would probably be the best for me, but I have yet to see keyboards with browns available at any retailer near me. I've been pretty happy with the blues up until now though and can't complain.

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I checked out the steel series keyboards a while back. The only thing that stopped me from going with that keyboard was because it wasn't backlit. I know it may be a minor thing with most, but I gotta have a backlit keyboard. :nerd:

The blackwidow ultimate stealth has brown switches. That's what I currently use. I sometimes bottom out the keys when I get to typing fast. They are much better than the blues on the regualr BlackWidow Ultimate, that's for sure. I have had no luck in finding a backlit keyboard that uses black switches. Or at least one that has a good build quality to it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  8. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
  9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Better how? The only difference is that the browns are slightly easier to press and have less of a click sound.

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    They feel stiffer than the blues did.

11. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
  12. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    The CM one with Browns looks good. I can't personally recommend the Blacks, they're not my style. Everyone has different tastes though!

13. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    I have the black widow ultimate and I do love it. The only thing's to know are it "IS" a very heavy keyboard. Other keyboards you push against and they slide on the desk, this one just sits there.

The only real thing I am not in love with is the "GREEN" back lighting...I would have much prefered blue.

As for the snapse2 it really is a minor annoyance. Yes you must register the exact model and serial number of your product. You make your settings online, but after all that, you can leave it in offline mode.

14. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    I absolutely LOVE my Corsair K90! It has Cherry MX Reds, (except for the F keys, G keys and the Insert, Home, Page Up, etc. cluster as they are rubber dome) blue backlighting, separate media keys (with an actual volume roller) and a Windows key disabler. Although, I will be getting the newer Corsair K95 when it becomes available because it will be fully mechanical for all keys, have LED's (although white instead of blue) for every key with the ability to turn off the lighting for individual keys if you want. Before my Corsair I had the CM Storm Trigger with MX Cherry Browns and while it was a nice, solid, keyboard it falls well short of the K90 in my opinion. Although, one of the really nice features (at least for me) of the CM Storm Trigger was the ability to program ANY key on the entire keyboard to what you want. The K90 only allows you to program the G keys. And for me, I prefer the MX Cherry Reds over the Browns. Takes a bit to get used to them but once you do, you'll LOVE them! Regardless, ANY mechanical keyboard will put rubber dome keyboards to shame.

15. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Isn't this the truth! I wish more retailers had a decent selection of mechanical keyboards. I just don't think the demand for them is very high with the general public, so you barely see them anywhere but online. This sucks, because you really can't know what they're all about unless you physically feel them and type on the keys. I have a Tiger Direct store close to me, and I'll be lucky to see two mechanical keyboards in there at any given time. One time I was in, they had a Corsair one with reds and a Steel Series one with blacks. The next time I was in, they didn't have any!

16. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  17. Trolle

Trolle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    +1 for the corsair k90/95

18. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    I recently bought the Logitech G710+. Got it for 115 eur, normally 150 eur. It's really awesome. I only wish it was PS2 and had a slightly bigger wrist rest, but these are very minor complaints. The Cherry brown switches are perfect, the backlighting is even and the design is top notch, plus 2 year Logitech warranty is nice to have.

19. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
  20. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    still swear by my Filco brown. Built like a tank. Its been 3 years yet the keystroke feels like day 1. No stuck keys, not much wear on the keys (actually no key character is workn off but some keys like WASD and 5 are a bit shiny)