AMD Kaveri FX-7600P Mobile APU Vs. ULV Haswell Benchmark mini-review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 9, 2014.

1. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Well, to be honest, the gains in 3DMark seem that it is barely faster than the already severely hindered HD4400 in those ULV Haswells (they are working within a 15W TDP). From the graph, I'll say it's roughly 20~30% faster? That's not a really huge gain since the HD4400 is pretty slow in general... I think gamers will still opt for an Intel quad core + dedicated GPU.

I'm slightly disappointed with AMD's APUs in general though, I have an A8-5600K in a living room PC and even though its nice to have a semi-competent iGPU, it really can't do all that much. It can't play SC2 at medium, nor BF3/4 smoothly on low @ 1080/60fps. That, plus the weak IPC (and wonky temperature sensors), makes me wishing I had bought a non-K i5 and just slapped something like a GTX750 or one of my 7950s onto it. I mean, its great for the price, but I'm thinking either AMD needs to make a 8 core version or seriously up the speed on the GPU part. As it stands right now, they are all kind stuck in limbo, jack of all trades and master of none... Plus, some of the A10s are creeping into i5 price territories.

2. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    the lano apu's were ok i came from an a6 3650 to and a10 5800k the 5800k can play sc2 max and d3 mid/high at decent frames. they are very dependant on memory cant wait till they get ddr4 on these.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, you got 256 shaders with your 5600K. That's half of what you get now.
    Back then you could have had 384 which is +50% bonus. It was your decision. And even those 256 should play a lot on low details 1080p. And yes, there are games which will not work good enough.
    I agree that IPC on Trinity was not very good and it is not that much better now, but you could have opted for 5800K if you intended to use it for occasional gaming as price of entire mini pc would be like 5-10% higher only.

And in all honesty that FX-7600P can crush your HTPC in gaming and show many benefits in productivity.
    Therefore surpassing in performance 1.5year old trinity and going from 100W desktop envelope to 35W notebook is quite a feat while bringing things like HSA.

4. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Yeah, the HTPC wasn't meant for games, so I didn't think an A10 would be needed. I simply ran some games on it to test out how fast the integrated was as compared to say, my dedicated cards and my laptop. 256 vs 384 however, the A8 wasn't very fast to begin with, 50% may or may not help especially at 1080P (when for example BF3 ran at ~20-30FPS in 64p games, 50% still doesn't hit 60. I have 1866 RAM on it so I think that is probably the maximum performance I can get out of it.). I agree that it is slightly expecting too much from something that was only ~$100, but I mean, the entire concept of it is slightly botched due to the low IPC as well as only have 4 cores (With BF3/4 + a 7950, FPS is still low due to the CPU). If AMD releases it with 8/6 cores, then it'll be much more interesting as their FX6 series can compete fairly well with i5s and FX8s sometimes with i7s in multithreaded programs. As it stands now, I think the performance gained in GPU is largely too small to warrant the low IPC, low core count in the APUs.

Regarding the FX7600P though, most mobile APUs AMD released in the past were severely hindered by TDP and hence clock speeds. I wonder if these would still be, same process and all?