Is GTX 780 SLI worth upgrading to from 680 SLI?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by DrHycodan, Jun 15, 2013.

1. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    It seems my 680 SLI setup is getting hiccups running metro the last light at max settings. Do you think the 780 SLI would be worth upgrading to?

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Just for one game? Neah. Wait for the next series.

3. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    It's worth it if it's worth it FOR YOU.

What you should perhaps ask is how much better will 780 SLI run MLL compared to 680 SLI.

There is a definitely a performance jump however will it do enough for you, that's something you need to look into factually, look at benchmarks.

When you say max settings, please tell me you are not using 4xSSAA?

4. Radiopassive

Radiopassive Banned

GPU:
    Gainward HD 4870 1G
    I wanted to reply with the obvious "First world problems..." phrase but in your particular case it looks more like a problem from another galaxy...:infinity::)

But hey if I got the money to burn I guess I'd run a quad-SLI from Titans or 780s... Burn baby burn...:spam:

5. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Sli 680 is what I use at 2560 x1440 and the only time it drops below 60fps is CPU limited scenes, do not use 4x ssaa there is no point as even sli titans cannot run the game well at these settings.

6. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    So are there any games out that actually require more than 680 SLI to run at max settings?

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Sli 680 will run any game at max settings. It the framerate that suffers if the settings are too high
    I would rather turn down iq slightly so I have a minimum of 60fps. Anything less starts to look choppy and not worth it to me

8. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    Are there any games out that requires more than 680 SLI to run at max settings and 2560x1440 without dropping below 60fps?

9. Greyleroux

Greyleroux Guest

GPU:
    Gtx660 Sli_U2713
    I've played Metro last light a max 1440p without any problem ! of cours i used no AA .
    If i were you ,I'll wait for the next gen games to come out thus leading to more powerful cards to be used .Xbox one (IF upgraded)and ps4 will have more than 7GO of ram for games only ,our traditional 2go will not suffice .

Just crank the setting down "just the AA" and keep the 1600$ in your account !

10. angmar

angmar Guest

Yea 7 gigs for games as in system memory and video memory combined.....not just 7 gigs of gpu memory. Most mid range gaming pcs nowadays have 10 gigs combined if you really want to equate it though it doesn't mean much when you don't know how much is going to cpu and gpu in the consoles.

11. Greyleroux

Greyleroux Guest

GPU:
    Gtx660 Sli_U2713
    The ps3 4 will have 8Go of GDDR 5 unified memory (Cpu and GPU) the System will take 1Go =7GO for the games ! so yeah !
    In the PC almost all games only use 32bit application so the maximum amount of usable system memory is 2Go per app !(not video memory right ).
    So now we have like 2go (vram) +max 2go program ram =4Go for the pc at most !
    I'm talking 1920*1080 gaming not the surround experience :pc1: .

Hope the future games will use 64bit app so i can finnaly use my 16Go of ram !:bang:

To be back at to the topic ,yeah just wait for the next gen graphics cards and the next gen consoles to show up .if you really cant wait and the money isn't an issue ,i'd say go for it !:nerd:

12. Desprado

Desprado Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 TI SLI
    There is no need to upgrade right now.Even single gtx 680 is enough.
    PS4 has 1.84 teraflops and if u compare with gtx 680 which has 3 teraflops.
    Still PS4 is weak platform but we will have improvements and utilizing DX11 in a better way.

13. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    I'm seriously considering the upgrade. Tomb Raider, Hitman and Bioshock run at 50-60fps+ maxed out. AC3 still dips below 60fps in Boston and as low as 23fps in the Frontier (1080p, TXAA+SweetFX). Crysis 3 runs about 40fps average maxed out (plus tweaks). I'm worried if Black Flag, GTA V, Watch Dogs and Rome: Total War 2 aren't be better optimized than earlier DX11 games I'll struggle to get 60fps. Money is not an issue and I don't want to compromise on IQ or performance.

14. 13thCaesar

13thCaesar Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim Liq
    Hey... I've been debating the exact same thing.

One of my reasons is BF4, which I will be playing extensively when its released and the system recommendations say 3gig Vram, and I only have 2gig cards.

Also another big factor for me is running a Dell 30" so native res is 2560x1600.
    Crysis 3 and Metro LL are other games that bring the frame rate below 60fps with my current setup.
    And I'm guessing Watchdogs when it comes out will too.

I don't think my CPU will be an issue being a i7 chip and when comparing benchmarks for SLI 780s to a GTX 690 (basically 2 680s sli and slightly UNDER clocked) I see I stand to gain about 15-20fps and more across the board.

But... now that Nvidia have just announced the 780 Ti video card (specs still to be released yet) I'm gonner hold off just to see how they preform and if they do another 10fps more than a standard 780 then I might get 2x 780 Ti's instead.

That's my current thoughts on the situation anyway.

15. 0LBaID

0LBaID Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090TI FE
    Figured I would chime in. Sold my 2-680's and got 780's (both MSI 780's are OC gaming card with a modded vBios) I made the move to future proof for all my games and stopped using my Dell U3011 and got a Overlord 27" @120hz.

They really are nice cards and very cool and quiet and easily handle anything thrown at them at 2560x1440 on maxed settings. Overall i really love the new cards.

They were not necessary but I know I dont have to worry about video for at least a year or more :).

16. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I can honestly say I'd take a 780 or a 780 ti at this point in time.
    either or, most definitely if somehow I could keep my current card for teh lulz.
    they would give me, (either one of them) 2k in firestrike earning me the steam 9k achievement, and totally setting someone up for bf4 (one of them would do me, I reiterate any one of them, January: 780 lightning would be fun.
    or stock whatever.
    I imagine the 780 ti will be outta my league in January. id say vanilla 780 ti £600 at launch.

17. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    just wait a bit more, i think Maxwell should be released around march.

18. 13thCaesar

13thCaesar Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim Liq
    I hope they release the specs of the 780 Ti soon, and hopefully its not too much more expensive than a standard 780.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Max settings? 2Titans can't Handle (permanent 60+ fps) some new games at max settings with 4xMSAA at that resolution.

But then reasonable setup like one GTX 680 can do that on proper game settings. You have two, Sacrificing little bit of IQ for which you are able to tell difference only on screenshots is good choice.

High resolutions games look even better on SMAA than 2-4xMSAA. FXAA is somewhat questionable. And performance difference is usually pretty high.
    Main disadvantage of SMAA - corners, on high resolutions corners still consists of same number of pixels as on low resolutions and there is minor graphical error, but on high resolution they actually cover smaller part of scene therefore are less visible.
    Main advantage of SMAA - long edges, splines. Visual improvement is at level of 8xSSAA while performance impact is very small.

For me even at 1080p MSAA is bad choice in comparison for SMAA. Try both make screenshot, note difference and think if you can notice them while playing (playing mean not looking for them).

20. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Perhaps, but not the lightning /classified, those won't show till perhaps may /june.
    anyways, come January 780 prices will be just where I want them I imagine.
    I like the 780 lightning.