Are eBay fees too high or is it just me?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Anfield82, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    So, I've spent the last few days selling various items on eBay. Mainly games and other small items but I did sell a bike for £300 and an iPad mini for £145. Around 10 items in total I'd say.

Now I wasn't expecting my final fees to be pennies but in the end I have been charged £80!
    That doesn't include PayPal fees and the loss on postage now I have discovered eBay now take a fee from that too.

Safe to say I won't be selling on eBay again and will look for an alternative. Seems like rather than a slice of the pie eBay want all of it.

Anyone else feel the same or have had the same shock when checking their final fees?

2. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Ya man, thier fees are steep.

If you're not already having a hard enough time swallowing that... know that ebay owns paypal.

3. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    Ebay fees are disgusting, end of story.

And yeah, specially as they own paypal as well.

Basically, to describe Ebay in a word, it would be 'Greedy'

I do local pick up every chance I get, Ebay have made a small fortune out of me over the past 10 years (yep, a decade I have used Ebay, same account, all positive.) they best not DARE whine about me taking a cash offer when the chance pops up - not that they could ever prove it of course, but still.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  4. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Use foruns like this one to sell your stuff on other friendly websites. Do not accept Paypal either, if you have lots of feedback then that will not be a problem.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

5. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    eBay's fees were too high for me a decade ago when I stopped using it and they certainly haven't gotten better since then.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It's definitely not you. I've sold 3 items on e-bay and by the time the fees were paid, I lost money on all 3 sales.

7. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire

I had a very bad experience trying to sell here, was met with some weird angry hostility, so I used Ebay, got a cash sale, win win, no problems.

8. JoseyWales

JoseyWales Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 2GIG
    I can't stand them to be honest. I mostly buy stuff but the wifey had some stuff she wanted gone so she talked me into using my ebay for it.. I should have made her do her own but I have all the verified stuff done so I let her.

Between the fees and some of the customers, it's nothing but a pain in the ass to deal with. Two of her items, new, I had to do a return on because they did not like it, or whatever, and played the "it's not new or it's damaged" game. I inspect everything before shipping and was not one thing wrong with any of it. They came back as new as when I mailed them.

It pisses me off as you are selling at rock bottom prices to compete and when jerks do stuff like that it completely frags any profit you were trying to make.

Don't even get me started with PP...

9. Violentum

Violentum Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX760 OC
    If you are selling just make sure you add fee's into your price. I never sell auction. I only sell fixed price buy it now. I will also add a best offer option too. A good example is I listed my GTX 460 on eBay for $80.00 fixed price buy it now with a best offer option. I got an offer for $50.00, I then counter offered for $65.00 and he accepted. I made it $65.00 because I knew there would be at least 5 bucks in fee's. I charged the guy $15.00 to ship my card. Went to post office and it cost $14.82 to ship.

In the end I got a fair price for my card and so did he because I also gave him 2 free games with it that I got for free for buying my GTX 760...

10. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    With PayPal too they've certainly got a monopoly going there.

Not looking forward to paying these fees this month.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yep, Ebay sucks. The fees are a flat percentage based on what "tier" your item's sale price falls into. The fee percentage decreases for more valuable items, but not nearly enough. You end up paying out the ass.

12. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    OP, think how much money you've made. Now think how much money you would've made without ebay. Not so bad now is it?

They have the monopoly and the biggest userbase/audience, there is no alternative unless you can access for example a busy hardware forum to sell your components.

I agree the fees can be a bit high but it's better to make some money than none at all. I have actually found that people will often pay over the odds for items on ebay especially when they get carried away on an auction so this partly negates the fees.

13. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    I agree eBay did help me make a nice amount of money but also took quite a considerable amount. More than I feel they deserve to be honest.

The fees on the postage and then the same type of fees from PayPal is too much in my opinion.

14. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Their fee's are insane, even more so for businesses and we see it all the time. We actually find it amusing (in a dark humour kind of way) when businesses don't realise that they are making a loss on a product.

That said £10 to sell a car isn't bad (classifieds are great on it for expensive goods).

15. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I always put on a few extra quid to the delivery charge, sure it sucks for the buyer but it would suck more if I took the hit.

16. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    It doesnt suck for the buyer, they choose to buy it.

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Sell for say $80 but have the postage separate.

Selling an item for $80 and charging $15 for postage separately will get more responses than selling the same item for $95 including postage. When you get the money there's also bank deposit, cash on pickup etc, or is it different on Ebay in the US etc?

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Sell the item for £1 and put the rest of the price (say £100) on postage

EBay only charges fees for the sale cost right ?

19. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Is there a craigslist in the UK or something like it?

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC