Steam Machines Prototype Details Revealed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    i am really excited about the steambox concept, however this beta with varying hardware seems a bit pointless. I mean its going to be running a Linux variant as an operating system, why not just release the OS to 300 people and let them run it on their already varied hardware. if it was something i was in control of i'd do it like this:

1) develop the steamOS
    2) beta test the steamOS as a download users to try, and make it mandatory to send back hardware specs as well as performance related information.
    3) develop 2 - 3 affordable hardware solutions based on the information gathered from step 2
    4) take the 3 previously developed affordable solutions to market.

if they are expecting people to part with >$1000 for a steambox they are completely missing the mark, people would much rather just build their own system / buy their own premade system for the same price point and run with an already fairly solid windows platform

2. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    From the sound of the spec/size it sound a lot like just a bit smaller then similar in many respects to what below.
    Digital Storm’s Bolt
    Falcon Northwest Tiki
    Alienware X51
    But any case I beat it about $2500/$3000 setup full load with Nvidia Titan and Intel i7-4770 but funny thing is Nvidia Linux driver are so poor vs AMD driver.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  3. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    valve won't get in the way of you building a steam machine with AMD hardware have fun with the linux drivers though ^^ valve isn't making them for you.

also a 1TB hybrid HDD/SSD costs 84 euro in holland i wouldn't consider that much...

4. David3k

David3k Member Guru

GPU:
    Graphics Processing Unit
    You people are outright moronic, all of you.

One even even made an inane allusion (no that isn't a typo, best educate yourselves) that this is the reason why the US is in debt!

Valve is giving these 300 TEST UNITS out for free at their own expense, and, if you read the whole thing, are meant to represent the highest-end, they are for testing and improvement of the OS and the design. If they encounter problems with these most demanding of parts, then they can learn about it early on from the users, and said users can provide feedback on their thoughts on the test units.

The way this works is, when steamboxes ship, they will have a very, VERY wide range of selectable parts, unlike the limited choices you get from OEMs today on certain cases/models, and if you buy the very cheapest model, you should have an upgrade path for your steambox and the design should allow for that, because they have tested for it, WITH THEIR TEST UNITS.

Godddamnit, reading comprehension, people.

EDIT: Unless I was unclear to those of you who are denser than they should be, the final units are not supposed to only have these specifications, this is what is possible to build.

EDIT2: I think I should be clearer, still; They aren't going to sell only these specs.

These aren't consoles, they're full-fledged desktop computers in an attractive form factor that you can choose the parts of before you buy, and upgrade yourself later on.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold

450w, even for the titan/GTX 780/i7 machines?...

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

They used lower power Haswells add 150-300w(660ti - Titan) from gpu and you have ~ 350-400w.

7. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    Just a friendly PSA that clear insults to other users are not accepted here. You could have easily gotten your point across without calling everybody here a moron. :)

8. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    This^

Although the SteamOS is going to greatly limit the need for going above anything midrange, because I can't really think of any Linux/OpenGL games out at the moment that will actually benefit from it, or any future ones.

But the allowing of upgradeable hardware- that's exactly why other consoles can not compete with PCs, because you just can't upgrade them.

9. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I think the people here that have the most to learn is limited to yourself, and I'm not talking about PC's or Steam boxes!

10. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    This question and your avatar... :)

11. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    Steam is poking a snake with it's bare foot on this one. Don't think people need steam box. Not unless game creators start supporting Linux and Steam OS. Maybe after that.But that's gonna take years. I think first they should concentrate on the Steam OS. Am pretty sure that PC gamers who are interested in this already have a machine that will be their main system. Now bring Steam OS and let it run on any poor HTPC that everybody can build themselves and concentrate on the game ******ing Valve. When this will work After that you can start thinking about selling Steam Boxes..

Now I don't know why there are *** above..I used the word s t r e a m i n g. Hilbert is that an offensive word? :)

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    No, its been censored due to links to S t r e a m i n g sites or something. :)

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    send me the titan one tyvm! :D

14. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Titan is overpriced - 2x GTX 760 4GB would eat it for much less

15. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    That maybe true but you did take in count that a pair of GTX 760 will need 340 watts vs Titan only needing a 250 watts so there for not only will you be eating up more power you will also be building up more heat in side the computer chassis.

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    and the fact that it'd be sli vs not...and though sli has gotten better, it's by no means perfect, and will always be a drawback somewhere compared to having just one card

17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    AMD Steam machines are coming next year :)