Does anyone actually like Quick Time Events?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Nichtswisser, Mar 26, 2013.

?

Do you like Quick Time Events?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    14.2%
  2. No

78 vote(s)
    73.6%
  3. Don't care

10 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. What are Quick Time Events?

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. play2lose

play2lose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 X Diamond 7970's
    In some games they are DEFINITELY not needed and tend to ruin the experience.

However the last game I've played with them (Tombraider) I'd say they add to the experience a bit. If we took them out they would just be cut scenes where you automatically progress. This keeps you immersed a little bit more getting to "play the cut scenes" I think.

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Voted no because of how they are currently used.
    I'd have no problem if they didnt replace parts of the game that I'd like to be playing !!!
    They skip over big sections and some are way too long.
    I bought a game to play it, not to watch a movie.

3. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Exactly. Plus, you're playing a game, using your skill and tactics to defeat the enemy and then all of a sudden the game takes control and says, "Hey idiot, forget about what you've been doing and just press this button!" Kills immersion for me.

4. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    I've never seen QTE add anything to the game... for me, it breaks the pacing of the game by adding some abrupt half cut scene, half garbage mini game that can suddenly kill your avatar off.

Why make all that great mechanics only to take it all away with most poorly implemented game mechanic of just pressing the button that's on the screen? Why interrupt what could've been a good cutscene with it? It tries to keep the player at helm during some amazing scene but it just ends up robbing the players of both the cinematic and gameplay.

5. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    actually it bores me i dont even bother hitting the button that much for those ones that it wants u to rape ur keyboard/mouse or joypad in some way by hitting it as fast as u can because u learn that u dont even have to make it work....

6. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    nope, i don't think ive ever seen them used nicely either.

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It depends on how they are done.
    I don't mind then when they are done well and they actually add to the game. Far too often, they are used either too much or without proper effort.

8. remixedcat

remixedcat Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 650TiSSC 1GB
  9. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    QTEs should be there (Yeah I know there will be a LOT of people who actually like it), but there should be an option to remove it.

Speaking of RE6, its okay to have some sort of QTE when a zombie grabs you, but it shouldn't be like Press 18 buttons to let go. There should be a QTE which if done right kills the grabber, or if done wrong pushes off the grabber. Having a death penalty is just wrong.

An Example:
    Cutscene ensues, I jump over a monster. I take out my knife and must mash X at the right time to kill the zombie. Mashed X and now I feel great that I killed it.
    ^ I hate that stuff though some may like it. QTEs should be toggle type.

In Tomb Raider, it feels right to press F at the right time while doing a scramble to stun the enemy with an arrow. This type of QTE definitely shouldn't be toggle. (If it even is considered as a QTE).

10. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I love the QTE on Shenmue I and II.
    Otherwise, nope.

11. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    quitimes/temp ability stuff = gtfo my games

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I prefer regular cutscenes over QTEs. Cutscenes are like breathers for me and then suddenly the game demands I press X or whatever and usually I'm dead by the time I respond :p Not cool at all!

I didn't mind them in The Walking Dead though. I anticipated most of them after the first few.

13. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    The walking dead implemented them well, imo. I got a few osheet moments from them that were a nice change of pace.
    Sid Meier's Pirates! is the only other game I can think of that has a good use of them - when you're dancing like a fairy to impress a chick - timing on the direction button was all important, good times.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I forgot- Mass Effect 2 also implemented them nicely with the Paragon and Renegade interrupts.

15. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    That's one of the only implementation of QTE I enjoyed in a game and it actually made me want to catch the QTE in the game.
    Evey other game that I've played with QTE has made me h8 the game at some point.
    FC3, sucked and I felt robbed when given a QTE with Vass, I wanted proper FPS battle with Vass!
    Tomb raider by the 3rd QTE in the game I was so over it I just raced through the game to finish it and be done with it.
    The Walking Dead Survival Instinct another pos QTE fest (grapple) grrr, gave up on that with in 2 hours of play.
    I am Alive, that game reeked of QTE and it blew hardcore for me.

Only other old game I did enjoy the QTE in was Beyond Good and Evil, I don't know it gave me a good feeling with jade running across rooftops being chased and shot at, but then again it didn't flash key presses on screen, you just used your eyes and wits.

To many of these current fps games just suck with all the QTE rubbish and even after completion leave me feeling robbed and aggravated most the time.
    Probably more to do with my impatience as I grow older.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013

16. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Nope, this is one reason why I stopped playing a lot of new games. The thing I hate the most is being babied.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  17. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    That's one of the few games where I actually like them. I was replaying that game last week and wasn't paying attention and died quite a few times when they came out of nowhere.

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I just recently finished what, for me could have been some of the best games ever, the God of war games, i finished the HD collection then dived the third one.

Great games with some very impressive set pieces, the third one was simply stunning.

But all that good stuff was thrown to the back of your mind as you once again reach the frustration of dealing with another god damn, pain in the backside, stupid, lame, always die because you dont know what coming, quick time event.

Who thought these would be a good idea, yes i like having to take my attention off the wonderful graphics as i try and watch the edges of the screen for a button icon to appear.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!, is how i feel about the end of the second game were you have to kill Zeus via QTE.

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    They're just plain annoying.

20. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor 6700XT
    QTEs are not bad but the way they are being use now in games are annoying. QTE are suppose to be like the part in a movie where there's explosion and stuff and the hero does some crazy stunt and everything slows down while he does a bad-ass move, but too much of that just dumbs it down for the player.