Does anyone actually like Quick Time Events?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Nichtswisser, Mar 26, 2013.

?

Do you like Quick Time Events?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    14.2%
  2. No

78 vote(s)
    73.6%
  3. Don't care

10 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. What are Quick Time Events?

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    Well, I find myself with a paradox I can not solve without help, It's about Quick Time Events. I mean I never actually reed about anyone liking those, I also know no one who likes them, yet the QTE density in games seems to be steadily rising?!?

So are the QTE lovers simply quite people that love their Quick Time Events in silence and solitude, or do they really not exist and everyone hates QTE's like it appears when reading across gaming forums and other related places? It's a true mystery, and this pool hopefully helps solving it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  2. JaylumX

JaylumX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 TI 12G
    :bang: I am not a fan of it and would prefer if devs resisted the need to insert it in games. For me it gives a false sensation of "epicness" making the game feel as if it is more bad ass than it should.....i just want to play the game and not some interactive movie sequence. That and game set piece moments (looking at you Tombraider) should be buried into the deepest depths of oblivion....yes i know what i said

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    in moderation, yes. they keep me on my toes. TR had just the right amount. the game failed in many other aspects though.

4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Used sparingly yeah sure, especially if failing them impacts the story or flow of the game. Like in Heavy Rain, or Shenmue (the pioneer of them, and one of the few games to do it right since).

5. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT Nitro+
    I really hate that "Press X to not die" stuff.

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    For the most part I cannot stand them. The odd one appropriately placed is fine, depending on game type - I most definitely do not want them in an FPS for example. Sadly a lot of games now seem to have an over abundance.

7. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Most quick time events are awful in the sense that they don't demand ANYTHING from the player.

The classic guy trying to kill you with a knife "Pres E to not get killed!" often you can stay 10min without pressing anything and nothing will happen until you press the damn button.

Its not even a "think fast!" thing anymore, just "Press 'Enter' to advance plot".

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I voted no but some games they are ok as long as they are used in moderation.

9. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    yes, this.

10. Kono

Kono Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 / 8GB
    I like God of War and Tomb Raider QT event... When done right, it is immersive. But yeah, game dev need to know we are not playing Dance Dance Revolution.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013

11. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    QTE ruined BF3's SP for me :(

12. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    I hate them, all of them, especially the ones in crappy ports where the wrong button is displayed. I'd rather these sequences be non-interactive cutscenes tbh. They never fail to take me out of the game.

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I actually like them. However, I only like when they're done tastefully and not just spammed all over, or when it's games like Resident Evil 5 where they came out of nowhere and you would die almost every time they came up in the first playthrough.

Max Payne 3 did it perfectly imo.

14. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I wonder if this game is what started all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3XNQja0H7I
    I remember when it came out. I was excited. Yeah, I get to control a cartoon. But miss the QTE by a milli-second and you're dead. The novelty quickly wore out for me.
    As for QTE in games today. Sure, show them during the tutorial at the beginning and then be done with them. Or at least have the option to turn them off all together.

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    QTE are for good certain arcade games, I don't like them at all in FPS/RPGs or other games where they are just anoying.

16. Radiopassive

Radiopassive Banned

GPU:
    Gainward HD 4870 1G
    *reads in Bruce Buffer's voice:* "AND THE LOSER IS BY UNANIMOUS DECISION ........ THE Quuuuuuuuuuuuuu Teeeeeeeeeeeeeee EEEEEEEEEEEzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Obviously the crystal clear winners are the plentiful (M$, $ony, Logitech etc.) manufacturers of controllers and keyboards.

The more QTews in interactive movies aka modern games the more sold controllers. No wonder we witness more and more of QTews everywhere. The game of capitalism goes on. So far...:backfire:

17. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Seeing quick time events in games just shows me the audience the developer is going for, so I won't buy games that have em. An exception might show up at some point though.

18. Gizmo

Gizmo Guest

GPU:
    Funny i just started RE6 and after about 10mins of playing i decided to come here and ask just the same question....

I just can't see the point of them TBO sure dev's might think its a cool way of getting us to interact with what would just be an ingame FMV but 9/10 im to busy looking for what i should be pressing that i miss WTF is happening onscreen

The last 3 games I've played are all littered with OTE's (Deadspace3,Tomb Raider and RE6) its like having a f*cking Simon says thrust infront of your face every 5 mins! i say the quicker this "gameplay mechanic" dies out the better.

19. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    If i have to rate a game out of 10 i will take off 1 whole point for every quick time event. The 100% death rate the first time expecting it to just be a cut scene is so annoying.

20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    They were new when Resident Evil 4 had them, but it didn't overly use them. Now they are used faaar too much and add nothing dynamic to the gameplay. Its a cheap way for devs to get around actually having to build a gameplay mechanic. Instead they just add in a cutscene and have you mash buttons at the right time for the cutscene to progress. The new Tomb Raider is another example, a masterpiece of game but its QTE could have been used a lot less. The worst game for it at the moment is Resident Evil 6... you only have to walk about 5ft before a cutscene plays and you have a QTE.