Crimson drivers that like r9 390x 8 gig video card as of 3-6-2017

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Daddio, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Daddio

Daddio Member

GPU:
    GigabyteGTX1080 G1
    Hi all i tried the new 17.x.x crimson drivers and my fx 3870 ,R9 390x sapphire nitro , 16 gig Gslkll 1866 sniper on gygabyte 99fxa ud5-R5 M\b suddenly shot up past 70c .
    \Never got thast hot before. I uninstalled and went back to crimson 16.7.2 driver running oknow but wantto know if anyone is having any Luck with R9 390x Nitro and what drivers are you using to get there?
    Thankk all

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Temps for me were the same as with earlier drivers.

3. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    16.11.5 ARE THE LAST GOOD DRIVERS FOR 290/390 CARDS

thats in caps intentionally, amd have not managed/bothered to fix wattman for the r9 290/390 cards, the 7.3.3 are HORRIBLE even on my buddies fury....

and yeah, my temps use to be alot lower, its messed up, i never saw above 60c on my 290x tri-x cards before the 16.12.x and up drivers.

some people, they work fine but, if you check the driver section threads, there are alot of issues.

i also discovered i cant run ESO in CF mode anymore if i try and force a cf mode the game black screen locks at around 650mb ram use... started messing around, found...several people from the driver test team quit last year, when reported issues with cf and general driver issues went months with no fixes, asked a friend whos on their linux driver test group and....he says its true something in the driver dev team changed nobody knows what but, they just arent taking issues like this seriously...

btw, more then one person was working with amd support who where going to "capture" their system and try and figure out why there was an issue, but all of them had their tickets closed with no explanation as well.. and no reply when inquiring why the ticket was closed.

i got a feeling somebody in management shifted people from the gfx driver dev team to something ryzen/vega related or they cut back on that team and hired more people for other teams....whatever changed...it sucks....im seriously thinking i may have to save up and get a 1080.... i mean at least i know its drivers work even if they dont work flawlessly in all cases, at least i wouldnt have to use antiquinted drivers...

oh yeah, the flags to force CF for any app stopped working around the time alot of other bugs came up that still have not been addressed, confirmed by people formerly and currently on the driver test team...however, their dev on linux drivers has been far better im told...sad really.... if only they could get their drivers on par with nvidias for cpu use/threading/etc so dx9/10/11 could run better... i would bring up cf issues....infact i will...sli is far from perfect but i checked on a friends 3 rigs and you can force sli even on the latest fast track preview builds, every game i tried that had no profile worked fine...and kicked on both cards....unlike amd...who..just cant be bothered...

i wish they would roll the r9 390 and below to overdrive and the last ver of CCC at least they worked and had the full set of features....that the new cp still lack despite having plenty of time to get it all ported over....and debug these long standing bugs.

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    So, the actual issue is that the cards seem to heat up a bit more, and that ESO has visual glitches?

What about the actual framerates when the cards heat up more? The 17.x.x branch is based on a new driver branch with lower DX11 overhead, which would mean that in certain situations your card would be used more, and heating up more. Same happens to my 280x, and it's completely normal (if it's that in your case).

What is your exact problem with Wattman?

5. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5jlhmc/290x390x_users_i_found_a_workaround_for_the/

THE ****ING MEMORY CLOCKS FLUX BETWEEN 150MHZ AND 3D CLOCKS IF I DONT RUN FING CLOCK BLOCKER!!!

i know, alot of people claim this dosnt happen, or it was fixed in 7.2.1, it wasnt, i have tried.

1. ddu
    2. revo+ddu
    3. fresh windows install without internet connection(to avoid it installing any driver other then the one built into windows, install anything 16.12.x and up, and, if i try and touch the fan ramps, or anything in wattman or using 3rd party apps, and the driver gos into 150mhz mode, sometimes restarting teh driver fixes it, sometimes restarting windows fixes it, sometimes the only fix is ddu and install the last working drivers, the 16.11.5's.

this also effects dx9 games, are they making their dx9 driver use less overhead or something to?

dirty bomb for example, 16.11.5 and lower, runs great in crossfire or single, move to anything higher, builds with wattman for 290/390 cards....

even a clean untouched windows install has this same bug, i even tested build 240, anniversary, and the next major build (latest preview build is the build that will be launched in april) same problem on all those builds, and for a "why the hell not" i even tested an old preview build that was between 240 and ani....same results, wattman has buggered up settings for our cards, i even tried flashing bios from MBA cards by other companies after asking what builds people had on their cards that they claim worked perfectly with wattman.... tested with only one card in the system...since i had a few people tell me that even having the 2nd card in would cause these problems and it was all a cf issue...it isnt...

i would love it if they would actually take the problems 290/390 users are having seriously..but several people who where in the process of having AMD capture their systems so they could track teh bug down all had their support tickets closed without explanation and subsequent tickets closed without response(check the threads about this on reddit and a few other tech forums..its really not a rare bug....everybody i know with 290/390 cards has suffered it, and that was why i even tried flashing bios from other companies cards, in faint hope, it would somehow fix the problem....)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5jlhmc/290x390x_users_i_found_a_workaround_for_the/

one thread about it, i will get you more links,

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5oykt8/bugworkaround_150300_mhz_memory_stuck_200300/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5om2hg/please_fix_or_at_least_acknowledge_the_150300_mhz/

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/5hkrcy/memory_clock_speeds_locked_at_150mhz_r9_390/

if you can tell me how to fix something unwinder has confirmed is an AMD driver side bug, he cant fix, and W1zard (who makes trixx) has told people, he cant fix.....

should i have to edit my video bios so the vram always runs at full clocks so i can use these updated drivers? i dont think i should but...i read that these chips are 5 years old and if we want proper support, we should buy current gen cards as they come out...even if amd are still selling the same chips we have....under different names....

blah...this **** both pisses me off, and makes me depressed that im thinking of how i can afford a 1070...since...amd clearly dont care about fixing this issue...or the uvd bug... if the did, they would list it and be activly trying to fix it...rather then pretend they have no idea how/why it happens and that it dosnt happen to most people....

interesting thing happened.....my buddies 290x with 3rd party cooler, that never got higher then 55c(core) 47c vrm....died within a few days of him installing relive drivers because a game he was playing wouldnt work with the older ones he had been on.... didnt think it could be the drivers but now...im not to sure...seeing quite a few reports of higher temps(that i have seen) and fans just shutting off....and not turning back on without driver reset....all sorts of weirdness that....im seeing to many reports of to write it off as "**** happens"

i dont want to replace these cards...but....that may be my only option...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  6. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I have happened to spend a whole night with a friend with the same problem (that sounds way more naughty than it was). The clocks were between 150/1250, but not while gaming.

7. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    i have to run clockbocker to prevent it doing it if i alt tab out even with hardware accelerated video playing...it drops to 150...

glad you got to see it...

i contacted an old friend at MS who checkd the closed test forums for me...said no reports linked to current(next major update)preview build fast track, and he asked somebody in their internal driver dept, and was told that ms reported the issues to amd months ago, confirming what the people from the amd closed test group said about the culture of the driver team changing from "we want to squash these bugs" to "what bugs" several on reddit (one i have know under various names for decades) quit and defected to nvidia because, when amd abandon high end cards that they are still selling, and cf issues that are a big part of their sales drive for the 480.... its just no fun trying to work around the issues....

thankfully i dont tend to play new AAA titles so the cf profiles for them arent really something i miss, but...the fact the newer drivers bugger up current games....(eso grass/sky flicker/artifacts for example..) and, arent even reliable at desktop....idiotic....bloody idiotic ...blah!!!
    *flicker flicker flicker* *changed custom fan ramp, had to reload clockblocker to get rid of flicker again*

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    My R9 270 died after installing the 17.3.3 drivers..... so.. this thread is interesting, I've also found some other people reporting their 7870 and R9 270 cards died after installing 17.x.x series drivers... I wonder if it affects these cards the most?

9. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    flashed -25mv 1000mhz/1250mhz stilt bios to my cards, temps didnt go down for whatever reason....despite the fact that...nothing other then those drivers was changed....wondering if powertune or whatever isnt getting wiped fully by ddu or...something...
    (my cards both came with +25mv at 1040core...(ram is stable up past 1375 my cards thankfully have the good ram but i now have it all underclocked and under volted...dont like seeing artifacts form in ESO of all things...(a game that shouldnt be pushing these cards...at all really....even at 3200x1800..)

10. PF Prophet

PF Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Acer A770+1070AmpEx
    not sure what it is but, first time in years i have seen so many reports of dead cards, 270/280/290/380/390 cards with temp issues and dying, some with the fans just stopping till they restart the drivers or system.....reminding me of the 285 i watched melt in my cousins computer years ago because of that driver that fully disabld the fans........thank god best buy took it back....infact they had a STACK of melted cards they where sending back to the manufacturers due to that driver....

weird this seems to be killing the cards they dont seem to want to continue to support though...although i have seen a slight uptick in reports of dead/overheating 480's lately......though i cant remember if it came around the time these drivers dropped or not...

would love to be able to send these cards to AMD so they could figure out what their drivers did to make them run so much hotter, even after i flash them under clocked and under volted, hell i even took them out, cleaned them, checked the fans, and...temps are still showing higher then they use to....idle 41c in a cool room...use to idle in the 30's at worst close case...open case now...41...in games it gets to the 60 range quite quickly.. :(

a few days ago before i decided to try the 17.x.x drivers after a few people claimed they fixed the wattman issues....gods do i regret installing that ****... why do amd hate us? because we didnt buy rx/fury cards? gah!!!

11. Daddio

Daddio Member

GPU:
    GigabyteGTX1080 G1
    The cards het up is a real understatement!
    Im running 16,7.2 everything is working fine.
    I tried the 17 3.2 I think it was ( early 17.x.x incarnation of that driver).
    My GPU temps shot up in idle well over 55 c!
    I use Iobit Advanced sys care which has very accurate Temp monitoring , when I sew the temps shoot up, I immediately went to DDU got that F*&%ed Up Driver out of there and went back to 16.7.2 Driver,
    Some say 16.11.x driver is last safe driver for R9 390x GPU, But Im not going to chance it.R9 390x 8 gig sapphire Nitro is fine card and I will keep using it, even in my upcoming ryzen r5 1600 build.
    I will only upgrade my video drivers when it really looks like AMD comes out with a Good safe driver. Im AMD fan boy since my first unlocked athalon cpu. ( I will stick with you guys but dont piss on my leg and tell me its raining! Fix it and Ill spend money on your new CPU and all the x370 goodies)

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    What are your idle clocks when it gets to 55c?