Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by ElementalDragon, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I think Nintendo have been quite clever in not trying to compete with Microsoft and Sony.

*Edit I just saw the US price of $300. What are they thinking????

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Whitelightning - I'm taking a guess here, but, I think that SF game will be Street Fighter Alpha 3 HD (which is one of my fav sf games).

Also re: Mario Kart, for me, if this game didn't come out with it, then, I wouldn't get one. It's the main one that I want. I haven't owned a Nintendo since GB Advance so I'm actually looking forward to playing a whole range of Nintendo games. (having kids helps, perfect excuse for me).

I have to agree that it does seem expensive, though. The system, extra controller and some games...we're looking at £400+. That's a lot of money, but, not that different to when the PS Vita came out, except the Switch has more possibilities.

On top of that, they're saying that starting next year, online play will be a subscription service...

There's still some questions left unanswered like GPU (maxwell or Pascal), internal storage size etc.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/games/nint...switch/?cm_re=home-_-banner0-_-NintendoSwitch

VERY EXPENSIVE SYSTEM. Potentially low 1st yr sales...

Funnily, the wheel is one of the cheapest things you can buy lol. £14 for 2. Wired controller is £28 (not bad). Pro controller £65 (wtf?). Joycons £74 (wtf?) and yeah, looks like £60 games. Mario Kart is £50.

My (potential) purchase would be around £358;

Switch
    Wired controller
    Mario Kart 8 (Release on 28/04/2017)

MK8 is end of April so looks like I won't be day one buyer.

and Fifa for £60 is a joke. It doesn't even look like the PS4/X1 version.

I'm going to go ahead and say it, the launch line-up of the PS Vita was a lot better with 2x the number of games. Back then I got Unchartered, Wipeout, Fifa and Ridge Racer.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  3. KodY

KodY Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 280X Vapor-X
    Looked pretty solid overall. They should probably bundle the system with a few (mini)games though - similar to Wii sports for the Wii.
    The portable aspect is probably more interesting for the japanese audience, at least I don't care much about it. I'm also fine with the graphics of the games.

Their online service doesn't seem very attractive. Should have left the multiplayer free and offer other stuff for subscribers. For now, one "free" NES or SNES games isn't really much of a seller.

Seeing Mario with actual human characters was a bit strange at first. Wonder how going back to a more open approach will play out though.
    Didn't really like the new art style for Xenoblade 2, I think the first one did it just right in this regard.

I don't await to see huge sale numbers at launch though, since the current lineup looks rather limited - even with the new Zelda in there (which looked great IMO).

4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Can i assume then that with the switch, there is no bc with anything from software to hardware, one thing i loved about the Wii-U was the fact all my Wii peripherals worked with the system....shame that if true, was a great feature.

5. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    XP-200; I think no bc was confirmed early on. There will probably be adapters to make them work.

What the Switch needs to avoid is another 3DS and Wii U situation is a price-cut imho.

1-2 Switch should've been the bundled free game and anything over £30 needs to have a £20 price-cut.

I also think avoiding the Nvidia tegra question was deliberate, due to the backlash if the Switch is infact just a custom X1.

However, I anticipate another reveal to answer some of those questions and perhaps also more games added to launch line-up.

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    We'll $300 isn't too bad but I wanted more like $250. What is ridiculous is the price of the pro controller $80 bucks. What is Nintendo smoking with that price?

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It piqued my interest. Software library will help it do very well or outright DoA. Let's see.

I will not be paying for online in this case as well, assuming I buy it. Anyway this is something that I would be more interested in for local co-op like older consoles than online.

I didn't watch the whole show but are we getting only one controller with it or is it relying on the joy con? I'm thinking of the two NES controllers being used to play contra, turtles, etc. instead of the showdowns and ARM. What is it using for physical games?

8. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Judging by the specs i am begining to wonder if all those recalled Wii-U's are being stripped down and turned into switch consoles, i think Ninty might just have pulled the untimate switch on gamers, literally. lol

9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I just watched the Mario switch gameplay video and I am blow away by how amazing it looks. Then I find out than it's not a release title and wont be released till fall at the earliest. So that leaves maybe 3 or possibly 4 for the launch release?

10. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Totally unimpressed by the launch games and the price of the console/accessories so definitely not a day one buy for me, I'll see how it goes over next couple of years when the prices drop and it hopefully has a more fleshed out games library.

11. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    To be fair it's still going to be hooked up to a big screen TV 95% of the time for most people so the price isn't all that far wrong.

12. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Considering it doesn't come bundled with a game or the Pro controller you're looking at a price of £404, doesn't scream value for money to me, you could argue that you don't really need the Pro controller but for me it's a must.

13. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Despite not owning a Nintendo TV console since N64, years ago I did however buy both a Wii Classic, then, a Wii Pro controller for use with my PC games via Mayflash adapter. Love Nintendo controllers. Used them mainly for Street Fighter 4 and driving games.

The Switch Pro controller is a rip-off, though. The standard one seems to have a "Megadrive" d-pad, might get one of those if it's not much different from the Pro spec-wise.

14. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    According to Eurogamer the Switch in the UK will be priced at £280. Not too bad in all honesty.

15. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    £280 isn't terrible, but like I said, add a game plus the Pro controller, £404... which isn't reasonable at all.

16. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    When you put it like that, then yes it does read terrible. Added to the mix that at that price point it's more expensive then a XBONE and PS4.

17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  18. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I'm glad i wound up waking up at like 6:00 this morning, noticed i had an e-mail from Gamestop on my phone that pre-orders were live, and pre-ordered my Switch with gray controllers. Now if only i had NOT waited until after the Treehouse snippet where Reggie went over everything in the Legend of Zelda Masters edition, cause by the time that ended, they sold out of the Masters edition. So.... i pre-ordered the Collectors Edition.

As far as the price.... i don't think it's bad. Yea... if you think about accounting for adding a Pro controller (if you personally need one), it does get quite expensive. But think about it leaving the Pro controller out of the equation. You're getting a console that can be played at home AND on the go, You can play a lot of the games with a friend WITHOUT necessarily NEEDING another controller since it comes with the two JoyCon's. You get the JoyCon Grip that makes it feel like a regular controller. And that's for $100 less than the PS4 Pro or Xbox One S.

March 3rd can't get here soon enough!!!! Legend of Zelda is going to be epic!

19. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
  20. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Amazon UK has now sold out it's allocation of consoles in, well, less than 12 hours or so.

Got mines in at 8am or so.