NVIDIA overclocking,tweaking and cooling....All info you need.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by funkymonkey, Jan 5, 2004.

1. goonbug

goonbug Member

GPU:
    evga 8800gts 640
    I have a xfx 7800 gtx and i think it hit its roof

I used the coolbits hack to open the overclck feature. In the nvidia control panel for clck frequency i noticed it has a option for detecting the optimum frequency, so i used it and it stuck the settings at 490x1325( i only did this after i tried multiple settings that where a quite bit lower and the card come overclcked at 450x1200). I cant seem to push the core or mem any higher, everytime i run the "test changes" option it will not pass for nothing. There are no problems that i know of with temp, i monitor it with the nvidia tool and a seperate hardware probe thats directly connected to my fan bus. So if anyone has any input i am more than willing to listen, unless its to kenny g, i cant stand that damn flute he plays, despite how talented he is!!!!!:puke2:

2. dunno537

dunno537 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6600GT AGP (550/1120)
    goonbug try stressing your card for a bit. run graphic intensive programs like 3dmark05 for a few days then try again see if that yields results

3. Sundesz

Sundesz New Member

GPU:
    Club 3D 6600 GT 128 MB
    Hi there!

I have a little problem with my 6600 GT. Sometimes it doesn't set the clock speed to 500Mhz in 3D applications, so instead of 500 Mhz it runs only at 300Mhz.:frown: In this fall I am not able to overclock the card too (so the GPU as the memory). I would be pleased if someone could give me an advice or suggestion. THX!

4. woofer909

woofer909 Member

GPU:
    evga 6600 256mb @441/570
    use rivatuner to force performance 3D

5. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    hes running in 2d mode when hes running at 300mhz, once you start the game the mhz will grow to 500mhz :)

6. Sundesz

Sundesz New Member

GPU:
    Club 3D 6600 GT 128 MB
    Yeah, I know it very well. But sometimes in games or in benchmarks (3DMark05: 22xx marks...) it also runs at 300 Mhz (RivaTuner's HW monitoring is running during games, so I can read the speeds). Until I don't restart my system the card works only in 2D mode. :cry: THX anyway.

7. Sundesz

Sundesz New Member

GPU:
    Club 3D 6600 GT 128 MB
    Thanks, I will see.
    UP: I cannot enable "force constant perfomance level"... altough driver level hw overclocking is enabled

Last edited: Dec 31, 2005
  8. woofer909

woofer909 Member

GPU:
    evga 6600 256mb @441/570
    what do you mean it wont allow you?

9. goonbug

goonbug Member

GPU:
    evga 8800gts 640
    ill try riva, but like I said for some darn reason the any clock speed past 490 will not pas the the nvidia built in stress test! Any way riva tuner ima gonna get it thanx! :speed:

10. Sean_S36

Sean_S36 New Member

I have the same card and would ask the same question. Thank you all, nice Thread.

11. goonbug

goonbug Member

GPU:
    evga 8800gts 640

i used riva and its not that the tuner wont let me, i dont think the card will take it and i found that out today. I uped the clock to 500 core and kept the same mem clock, and ran 3dmark 05 and the screen was filled with artifacts. I answered my own question, i hit the roof of the card and im dissapointed.
    The card will post a 8600 on 3d mark 05 and i cant push it any harder! (le sigh) Thats ok I think my proc still has some head room i can exploit. Or I can just buy a second one and become a nvidia hoe.

12. SHAFT_BR

SHAFT_BR New Member

GPU:
    HD4870 512mb
    Same xit here man...

I try to push 500/1400 but the video cards did not suport very well and some artifacts starts to show on my screen :frown:

13. scorchio

scorchio Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5850 Extreme
    I've just finished OCing my card, reached 420/1150.
    At 430, small artifacts starts to appear, my only question is, I've read an article on Xbit Labs, they tested the exact same card with the same cooling, andthey reached 450/1200, can it be done? is there another way to push a PX6800GT further?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  14. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    every card is different, but, u can get a better cooling solution :) (like a zalman vf700cu), then u can push the card further, and maybe voltmod the card ;)

15. SHAFT_BR

SHAFT_BR New Member

GPU:
    HD4870 512mb
    I will try the over using the riva Tunner.

And this cooler Zalman, he is bether than the original?

Sorry, about the english...im fron Brazil xD

16. BUJD07

BUJD07 Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7900GT @ 520/1440 Mhz
    moved post

moved post

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  17. scorchio

scorchio Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5850 Extreme
    Well, the Leadtek PX6800GT has pretty powerul cooling, and I dont think its possible to remove.

18. pitchblack206

pitchblack206 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 6950/flashed
    Yes it is possible to be removes, I have done so myself on a Leadtek Winfast 400. I have a Evga 6800Gt, which uses OEM fan from Nvidia, and replaced it with a Zalmann AuCu, very nice product, does a great Job. I need a new PSU, than I can push speeds to around 430|1300

PSUs do make a difference, never underestimate the powerconsumption and the effect it can have on the performance of your GFX!

19. 9ine

9ine Member

GPU:
    EVGA e-GeForce 6800 GS 256MB AGP
    i have overclocked my 6800gs agp and my gpu core temp is 56c when not in game and it goes upto 82c in rthdribl. are these normal temps for this card?

20. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    I had a Zalman VF700CU on my 6600GT (my previous card), temps:

Before the Zalman:

Idle 60
    Fully Load 75/80

With the Zalman:

Idle 50
    Fully Load 60

So its alot better then the stock cooler ;)