Undervolt GPU

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Tenacity, May 22, 2007.

1. Tenacity

Tenacity New Member

Referring to a Xpert 7600GT:

Why is nobody talking about undervolting the GPU like an AMD 64?

I'm testing various programs and voltages to reduce the temperature and power consumption of my X2 3800+ and AMD 64 3500+ (LV)...with success.
    At first I decrease the multiplier from 10 (2GHZ) to 5 (1Ghz) and then change the Vcore from 1.3V to 0.8V.

So I am using Rivatuner to dynamically change the core / memory clock and Fan Speed, working without problems.

Analog to the CPU undervolting I intent to decrease at first the Core/Memory Clock and then the GPU core voltage, but it seems to be more complicated than I thought. I read something about Bios modifing...that is not what I want.

So the question are:

1. Is it possible to change the GPU voltage easily (like Crystal CPU)?

2. Does it make sense to decrease Core/Memory Clock WITHOUT core voltage? Especially for AMD 64 decreasing the core voltage has the main affect, not changing the clock!

Thx for further information

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

The question is:

Is it possible to peek in the FAQ supplied with program before posting a question? It clearly explains my POV on voltage control options in RT. Yes, it is possible. No, you will never see it in RT.

3. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS + 7300GT DDR3 / 7600GS
    just quoting you because i thought you'd like to know you brought a smile to my face with this response. wonderfully stated, and i am not being sarcastic, i am being honest... my hat is off to you.

4. Tenacity

Tenacity New Member

Thanks for no help.

The thing I got: RT won't support that and I respect your opinion.

Nevertheless, none of my question (1. & 2.) have been answered - as you can read I do not refer solely to RT - and I hope that it was not useless to register @ Guru3D Forums. Maybe you guys resconsider you behaviour to welcome newbies...

You won't believe it, but I also used global search engine before posting !

5. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Unwinder answered #1..

6. Lord Banshee

Lord Banshee Master Guru

GPU:
    X1950XT 512 @ FireGL 7350
    1) No, as far as i know you need to edit the bios of the card, if you had a ATI card you could use ATI Tools. But seeing that the bios is just software on the lower level if you knew what you were doing and was able to access driver level or below maybe you could do it in software just not with rivatuner.

2) Yes and i believe you are wrong about A64 too. Clock speed matter as much as voltage changes for the heat output. If said IC is doing whatever for a slower amount of time, doing less work for a given amount of time, it must decrease power.. right.

7. Unwinder

If you don't see an answer for the first question here, then you should take some reading lessons, sorry:

Is it possible to peek in the FAQ supplied with program before posting a question? It clearly explains my POV on voltage control options in RT. Yes, it is possible.

FAQ supplied with program covers GPIO pin based voltage control approach on NVIDIA hardware. If you just don't want to open FAQ and spend 1 minute on typing "voltage" in the Search tab there - it is not my problem, sorry. It is not a question which has not been answered. It is an answer which has not been read.
    And if you were power user and could read between lines, you'd come to idea that RT provides direct access to GPU registers via command line and GPIO pins controlling voltage can be accessed this way too.

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  8. Tenacity

Tenacity New Member

Thanks, that was something I thought too.

Maybe. It it is both.

Sorry, but question #1 is that kind of question consisting of implicit elements.
    Right, you answered the fact that it is possible, but Is it possible to change the GPU voltage easily (like Crystal CPU)? and yes,if so, which program is able to do that like Crystal CPU!

Maybe it had been easier for you copy and paste your opinion provided in your FAQ or answering NOTHING... than that what you have done. Great.

So any other wise informations about:

1. Is it possible to change the GPU voltage easily (like Crystal CPU)?

2. Does it make sense to decrease Core/Memory Clock WITHOUT core voltage? Especially for AMD 64 decreasing the core voltage has the main affect, not changing the clock!

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  9. Unwinder

"Great". There are more and more ambitious noobs with zero knowledge coming into this forum. If you're not ready to think - simply forget about this place.
    Answering nothing is the only thing that you'll see from me since this moment. And I strongly recommend you to change the style of your postings, if you're planning to stay here. If is not a place where everybody are obliged to explain you something.

10. Tenacity

Tenacity New Member

I am not intenting being impertinent. I registered here to receive some answers because I am interested in learning and undervolting...u and daveid started that discussion.

Even when you told me your POV , none of my questions have been answered...so that is not my fault. I do only explain my POV.
    It is up to you.

11. kalispimenta

kalispimenta Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @680X1030MHZ
    Maybe you can do it by editing your bios and re flashing your card

12. Tenacity

Tenacity New Member

I intent to do that...

13. Dont tell me you knew that all along and posted on here to get people talking because i have a hunch you did.

14. Pa3PyX

Pa3PyX Member

It is both. However, changing input voltage has much greater effect on power disspiation than changing clock speed, because power disspiation is proportional to the square of the voltage (roughly, without taking all the non-linear conductivity properties into account) whereas it is only directly proportional to the clock speed (with the logic above).

By decreasing or increasing voltage 2 times, you respectively decrease or increase power consumption (and dissipation) 4 times. Altering the clock speed 2 times should only alter power dissipation 2 times at peak load (again, roughly -- because the logic in the quote above ignores those blocks of the CPU that are continuously on, regardless of whether the CPU is busy or not).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  15. TweakerNummer

TweakerNummer New Member

Isn't flashing the BIOS with a new voltage risky? If the voltage at startup is too low the card won't boot?

16. Unwinder

First, voltage change is always risky regardless of way you use. But unability to boot due too low voltage is really not a thing to be afraid of. All NVIDIA graphics cards starting from NV3x family have so called safe (boot) performance level. It means that when the system POSTs VGA BIOS sets boot performance level's voltage and clocks, which are usually much lower even comparing to 2D clocks and voltages. So even if you alter 2D/3D voltages, they are not applied until Windows finish loading.